Aftermarket Stocks For Savage LWH???

ianpadron

WKR
I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor...sweet little rifle but the stock blows.

I talked to Stocky's this week and the only solution they had was to order a McMillan with an ETA of 7 months.

Any other options you guys are aware of for a short action Savage with DBM?

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
stockade stocks... I thought about it for my LWH but it is a long wait, pretty spendy(less than a McM though), you have to convert to blind mag, and probably small weight GAIN. Talked to the guy who runs it on the phone and he was knowledgeable and helpful.

Stocks - Stockade Gun Stocks

Also Boyd's but that is a big weight gain..
Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter | Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks

I just ended up painting mine so it was easier to look at... still great to carry and shoots well
Z6lw7kM.jpg

CzEKUI8.jpg

robtattoo

WKR
Your only real option would be the wooden stock from a model 11 LWH. It's much stiffer than the Tupperware model 16 and only a 2oz weight gain. That can be mitigated with a lighter recoil pad.

May I ask, what it is you don't like about the original? I know it has a little forearm flex, but after a LOT of trying, I'm danged if I can make mine shoot badly.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like MPI offers some that fit.

Also, poke around over on Savage Shooters. You might find a used one in the classifieds or they might have additional options to look at.

Apollo117

WKR
I've been looking for the same thing for my model 16 LWH. I second Stockade stocks for the value. Only other options already mentioned are McMillan with the Edge fill or MPI. Both of those start around $600 and are going to weigh around 24 oz give or take. The Stockade stocks start around $350 I think and are going to weight 30 oz or more. There are a few chassis options, but each chassis I have looked at is going to be very close to 3 pounds if not more. Kind of defeats the purpose of the LWH.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor...sweet little rifle but the stock blows.

I talked to Stocky's this week and the only solution they had was to order a McMillan with an ETA of 7 months.

Any other options you guys are aware of for a short action Savage with DBM?

What don't you like about the factory stock? It should be the accustock with the alu bedding block.

Accuracy should be good with it. Is it how it looks? The flex in the grip area?

gbflyer

WKR
Order from McMillan direct if you want one. It only takes 8-12 weeks. I like Stocky's a lot but not sure where they get 7 months???

The Edge fill is nice and light but pretty soft. I have one and I like it but the next one will have standard fill.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Your only real option would be the wooden stock from a model 11 LWH. It's much stiffer than the Tupperware model 16 and only a 2oz weight gain. That can be mitigated with a lighter recoil pad.

May I ask, what it is you don't like about the original? I know it has a little forearm flex, but after a LOT of trying, I'm danged if I can make mine shoot badly.
The action is bedded off center and the barrel has like 2 times as much gap on one side of the barrel.

I hate the plasticy hollow feel.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
What don't you like about the factory stock? It should be the accustock with the alu bedding block.

Accuracy should be good with it. Is it how it looks? The flex in the grip area?
Accuracy is fine, I just don't like the flex, especially in the forearm. Plastic stocks bug me.

Tod osier

WKR
The action is bedded off center and the barrel has like 2 times as much gap on one side of the barrel.

I hate the plasticy hollow feel.

That would be annoying, given how large the channel is. Gap is big when centered!

I have an eBay search that I haven’t shut off (got what I needed) and the wood take offs are rare and in the 150 plus neighborhood. It doesn’t seem like a direction you are looking, but wanted to share any info I had. Plastic take offs go for 50 to 75.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what mine looks like. Mine touched the barrel on left side at end of forearm. Not any more.

My biggest issue, other than looking cheap is that the grip has a good amount of flex to it.

Accurate as ever, but you have to be careful to not load up pressure on the stock as it will affect things.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Exactly what mine looks like. Mine touched the barrel on left side at end of forearm. Not any more.

My biggest issue, other than looking cheap is that the grip has a good amount of flex to it.

Accurate as ever, but you have to be careful to not load up pressure on the stock as it will affect things.
That has been my experience as well. It shoots just fine but the stock is EL CHEAPO LOCO. I got it for $497 so I guess you get what you pay for.

Apollo117

WKR
Wildcat composite

Ultra-Light stocks weigh in at 17.5 ounces depending on stock style .
Are you saying that Wildcat offers a Savage action inlet stock, but does not advertise the stock on their website? Have you ordered a Savage inlet stock from Wildcat?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk