Ridgline info

Cdpp880

WKR
I am getting close to getting a Christensen ridgline and had a few questions. I am trying to get a do all rifle (pack somewhat light, shoot long range-at the range, and be able to kill about to 5-700 efficiently). I am leaning towards a 300WSM but could be talked into a WM or other caliber. Whatever I get I plain on loading a light reduced recoil load around 150gr for pigs/whitetail around home and a heavier 180-200gr load for larger animals (elk, moose, nailgi). I will be putting a bushnell 4-18 ELRH scope on it.
My question is what kind of mag length do these have in 300WSM or 300WM?
Also what are some of yalls rifles weight with scope?
Any feeding issues with the 300WSM?
Thanks

Tartan

WKR
I don’t have one... yet. I’m trying to budget for a Ridgeline in 300 win as a future do all western rifle. From what I’ve read the mag box on those is 3.71”. Plenty to load a 215 berger long.

VernAK

WKR
An interesting rifle for sure!
I noticed that they make the 280AI with 1:9 twist making it a very useful rifle with a wide range of bullet weights.

KJH

WKR
I've sold a few of these online, and one of the questions that was asked by a buyer a while back was this same thing. I think we settled on it actually being barely short of 3.8" based on something someone from CA told him. I could be mistaken but that seems right to me... it was a while back.

ofl0926

WKR
I've sold a few of these online, and one of the questions that was asked by a buyer a while back was this same thing. I think we settled on it actually being barely short of 3.8" based on something someone from CA told him. I could be mistaken but that seems right to me... it was a while back.

sent you a message

FURMAN

WKR
The long action mag box is right at 3.7" the shorts are around 2.85". The long action is going to weigh right at 6lbs 10oz. For what you are wanting I would strongly suggest the 300 Win Mag. The 215 Berger will fit in the mag box when seated properly and you can load down as you desire. The 300WSM will be severely handicapped in the short mag box.

I would recommend the 26 Nosler...
7e0517949dd230a969cd5748fa15fd7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
With Elk and especially moose you should stay with a thirty. Will the 26 and 28 kill? Yes but the 30 will flat out do it better. I personally do not want to be tracking in elk country and moose would be much worse.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Nice vid. Amazing how good factory stuff has become.

I wonder why on the dual ejector?

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
I really have no plains on shooting anything over 200gr and would like to keep it as light as possible with a capable scope so I’m leaning towards a 300WSM. My only concern is possibly feeding issues. Anybody have one that can give a no problem or issues?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
With Elk and especially moose you should stay with a thirty. Will the 26 and 28 kill? Yes but the 30 will flat out do it better. I personally do not want to be tracking in elk country and moose would be much worse.

I have never shot a elk so I can’t direct compare but everything I had read is elk are tough animals to kill. By comparison the 50+ moose I have watched killed are certainly NOT hard to kill. Based on this I will likely be one of the few guys that hunts everything in Alaska with a non magnum or something in magnum but sub 30 cal, but brings a 30 cal magnum when I go to the lower 48 to hunt elk haha. Has your experience with moose proven they are that much tougher to kill than elk?

The ridgeline certainly looks nice and a direction I would go if looking for another rifle. It’s a shame they hamstrung the short action with such a short mag box.

FlyGuy

WKR
I picked up the Ridgeline in 300WSM just a few months ago. I was hoping to keep it sub 8lbs but ended up going with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50ZS. Ended up closer to 9 lbs but it doesn't "feel" heavy to me.
c9c48d3d898302497490f208278f7d8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I have never shot a elk so I can’t direct compare but everything I had read is elk are tough animals to kill. By comparison the 50+ moose I have watched killed are certainly NOT hard to kill. Based on this I will likely be one of the few guys that hunts everything in Alaska with a non magnum or something in magnum but sub 30 cal, but brings a 30 cal magnum when I go to the lower 48 to hunt elk haha. Has your experience with moose proven they are that much tougher to kill than elk?

The ridgeline certainly looks nice and a direction I would go if looking for another rifle. It’s a shame they hamstrung the short action with such a short mag box.

I've never shot a moose. I just would not want to track one and personally do not see why one wouldn't use a larger caliber. Like I said I have no doubt the smaller calibers will get it done but I also have no doubt the larger calibers will do it better. I was mostly basing my comments on the OP wanting a "Do all" rifle. I have finally figured out, after years of messing around, that the more rifles I have the less I can spend on actually hunting. I am down to a 30 Nosler and a 6.5 Creedmoor.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
This is exactly what I’m doing in reference to having too many guns that hardly ever get shot. I am consolidating my rifles now and plain on having 3 gun I shoot often than a bunch I rarely shoot. Planning on having a ultra light 7-08, ridgline in 300wsm or 300win mag. And I have a 375 ruger just bc I wanted a big caliber. Maybe build a 6.5grendal off a lower and upper I have sitting around. Just am really on the fence about the 300wm or WSM