7mm-08 loads

elkguide

WKR
I have a custom and a Kimber Montana in 7-08 right now and neither one is fussy as to what it likes. Have been using both WW760 and RL19 behind Nosler and Hornady 140 grain pills.

N2TRKYS

WKR
This thread is awesome. I'm excited to start working loads up for my Kimber 708. Can anyone give advice of dies? Do i need to spend a ton on high end dies with bushings or will a standard Redding FL die set do just fine?

I've been using a 2 die set from RCBS. It's worked well for me. You don't need anything fancy.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
The 120gr Nosler BT has been a really good bullet for me on whitetails, surprisingly even shoulder shots. (over 44gr Varget) Heavier animals I would go with the TSX.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is awesome. I'm excited to start working loads up for my Kimber 708. Can anyone give advice of dies? Do i need to spend a ton on high end dies with bushings or will a standard Redding FL die set do just fine?

Bushing dies are not needed (or IMO even a good idea for hunting rifles). I like Redding standard dies. A full length die (adjusted to only push the shoulder back minimally) and seater die will be all you need for a hunting rifle.

Dougfir

FNG
I couldn't get mine to like the 140 ttsx, or the 145 lrx. Right now, I'm playing with the 140 accubond, but for elk hunting in the timber, I might be tempted to use this load, which I took elk hunting last year:

160 accubond over 44 grains IMR 4350 @ 2.8" (Norma case, WLR)

From my 22" barrel, that clocks at just over 2500fps and it would shoot .75MOA all day at 100 yards, sometimes better at longer ranges. If I wanted to stick with that bullet, I know I could get that velocity up by increasing the OAL a bit, or trying something like Hunter/RL 19, etc.

I'm totally smitten with the 7mm-08 cartridge. I've killed deer, elk and antelope with mine and the low recoil makes it a real pleasure to shoot.

Dougfir

FNG
The 120gr Nosler BT has been a really good bullet for me on whitetails, surprisingly even shoulder shots. (over 44gr Varget) Heavier animals I would go with the TSX.

If I had a nickle for every time I've heard this, I could buy a new rifle. I've seen cross sections showing that the 120 has a significantly thicker jacket than the 140, or 150. It's a tough little bullet!

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Picked up some factory ammo to break it in. HSM 140 vlds seemed to do well. Fired three shots touching off the bipod, went back and tried for 5 and punched them a little off. Still. .8 edge to edge for the 5 shot, or .516 center to center. Trying some different loads this week.
66da8daaa7904819857a1b19bbb070f8.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk