6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm Rem Mag-Recoil

Nuke Man

WKR
My 10 year old daughter has 0 recoil issues with my Ruger American Predator. It's not braked either. The 6.5 is a dream to shoot. I've never shot a 7mm so can't comment on the difference.

OP
Muley Buck
Recoil calculator will tell a lot.

The numbers don't lie, a 243 is probably ur best option with no brake. It will absolutely no be too much recoil. A 6.5 might tho

Assuming 7.5 pound rifles the 140's from 7.5 rifle should giv u about 13 ft lbs free recoil energy vs ur 7mm's 23 or so..

Now this is where it gets "fun"

A 243 would top out at about 10flt lbs with a 105 but an 85gr bullet at
3000 fps would be down to 7 or so. H4896 would offer even lower loads

Or brake any other 308 base round with 120 to 140 grain bullet. And be down to that 6 to 8 range.

Ultimately its a coin flip but I think brake is a better long term option. Muzzlebrakesandmore or lil Basra d should reduce 13 lbs recoil to about 6 and ur placing less demands on the bullet to function properly.

Or last option is spin up so 120gr ballistic tips over a light charge and brake the gun and u can avoid a whole bunch of hassle with buying a new gun.

125gr over 55grains in a tikka super light 300 with a brake was probably was easier on the pad then an over gassed m4gery with 75 bullets

Very nice, good info. Thank you. I won't put a brake on my 7mm, I don't like them especially for hunting. Although, I might end up putting a brake on it for the Mrs. to shoot at the range. Come season though I'd like to have a threaded cap instead. Muzzle brakes bug me in the field. On top of all of that she's a lefty so I'm buyin her, her own.

elkduds

WKR
My 270 Stevens weighs 6#, Mark X Mauser in 7 Rem mag weighs 9#. W 140 gr in 270 and 160 gr in the 7, felt recoil is near equal. Lighter guns kick harder, even in milder calibers.

Last edited:
thw nice thing about a muzzle brake is it can always come off..

With a threaded brake I've never noticed a poi shift even at long range with them on or off.

The reduced recoil ammo from hornady will give you a great idea of what a 6.5 creedmoor will recoil like for 30$ or so.

And to be honest that stuff matches up ballistically pretty damn well too.

Another thought.

philthy57

FNG
Does anyone else use a PAST recoil shoulder pad on the range besides me? I use one when I shoot my Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM without a brake and it makes a world of difference. You might consider the $30 or so for your wife when you're on the range. I did pick up a 6.5CM Hells Canyon Speed last ear and that little rifle is a dream to shoot!

mtmuley

WKR
I use a PAST at the range with hard kickers. Keeps me from needing a muzzle brake. Don't have any brakes now, and don't want any. I'd take the loaded down 7mm over the Creed though. mtmuley

My 12 year old boy shoots my 6.5CM at the range and has no issue with it and will be using it this fall for elk. It does have a limb saver on it tho. One thing I do on the range for some of his shots is to use a lead sled to reduce the recoil while practicing so he doesn’t develop a flinch for the Recoil. I think a 6.5CM would be a great gun for your wife.

cooperjd

WKR
my own personal experiences with both...however, they are 2 very different rifles...

7mag: rem700, B&C stock, approx 9lbs; blackhawk cheek pad, limbsaver pad. 160gr accubonds at around 3025 fps.

6.5 C: Thompson center Dimension. approx 8lbs. 130gr accubonds ~2800 or factory norma match 130gr at 2775 fps.

because these rifles are very different, but both fit me very well, neither of them has what i would call "significant" recoil. I can shoot a couple of boxes of the 7mag on a given range day and not be bothered. the stock fits me well, the cheekpiece helps mitigate felt recoil, and the nice pad helps.

However, i can dang near watch my impacts with the creedmoor. Even though the 7 is not painful for me, the difference in actual movement of the rifle is pretty significant. the creedmoor is a real kitten.

if the 7 bites your wife, i would get her the creed. developing bad shooting habits is no bueno.

none of my rifles wear a brake.

Just adding my 2 cents for the heck of it simply because I've been shooting a 6.5 and a 7mm recently.

I have a Savage 6.5 and my buddy just got a Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm. My 6.5 weighs around 12 lbs. all set, and my buddies probably weighs a little more, maybe 13 lbs. Not scale checked, just a "good" guess.

I can go to the range and regularly shoot 40-50 rounds in a half day with my 6.5. After helping my buddy set-up his 7mm and shooting 12 or so rounds for fun, I feel it. I wouldn't want to shoot more than a box through the 7mm at a time, whereas the 6.5 is pretty tame.

Just my thoughts after playing with them last weekend. Using 143 ELD-X on the 6.5 hand loaded with RL26 getting 2900 fps with a 26" pipe. The 7mm had factory ammo in the 162 grain ELD-X variety going around 3100 fps with a 26" pipe.

OP
Muley Buck
Well, I'd like to thank you all for the insight and help that you have given me. I appreciate it! I ended up ordering a Tikka T3 X Lite stainless (LH) chambered in 6.5 creedmoor for my wife. I think she (and I) will have fun with it. Possibly stand by for more help threads concerning this! Thanx again everybody!