6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm Rem Mag-Recoil

I am curious as to how much less significant, if any, the recoil may be for the 6.5 creedmoor compared to the 7mm Rem Mag? Considering that the rifles are Tikka T3 X Lites with limbsavers on them. No muzzlebrake. As much apples to apples as you can get I suppose. More than likely will be shooting the Hornady ELD line maybe factory but likely reloads. I've never had the opportunity to shoot a 6.5 before, but I have shot 7mm's for a while. The whole reason behind my question is that I'd like to buy a rifle for my wife and my 7mm bites her too much. Let me know what you guys think? Thanx in advance!

FURMAN

WKR
What loads do you want to compare? Recoil is a combination of the rifle weight, the bullet weight, and the powder charge.

I have T3X Lites in both 7mm Rem Mag and 6.5 Creedmoor... both with limbsavers.

7mm has a mountain tactical rail, Vortex precision rings, SWFA 3-15 scope. Primarily shoot 168gr Berger VLDs.
6.5 has the same rail, Warne Mountain Tech rings, and SWFA 3-9. Shoot 143gr ELD-X mostly.
So they are set up pretty similar and are close in weight. I can definitely tell a difference in recoil but don’t have a way to measure it for good data.

My wife has shot the 6.5 with no issues. I think it’s much nicer/easier to shoot as well as stay on target/spot my own hits (or misses lol). Personally I don’t find the 7mm terrible to shoot, but it does recoil harder and I usually won’t put more than 10-20 rounds through it at a time. The 6.5 I could shoot for much longer before calling it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Muley Buck
Doesn't matter what the loads are. Just as long as the two are comparable for what they are. For the sake of the question say the two to be compared would be the 143gr. ELD X Precision Hunter to the 162gr. ELD X Precision Hunter.

OP
Muley Buck
I have T3X Lites in both 7mm Rem Mag and 6.5 Creedmoor... both with limbsavers.

7mm has a mountain tactical rail, Vortex precision rings, SWFA 3-15 scope. Primarily shoot 168gr Berger VLDs.
6.5 has the same rail, Warne Mountain Tech rings, and SWFA 3-9. Shoot 143gr ELD-X mostly.
So they are set up pretty similar and are close in weight. I can definitely tell a difference in recoil but don’t have a way to measure it for good data.

My wife has shot the 6.5 with no issues. I think it’s much nicer/easier to shoot as well as stay on target/spot my own hits (or misses lol). Personally I don’t find the 7mm terrible to shoot, but it does recoil harder and I usually won’t put more than 10-20 rounds through it at a time. The 6.5 I could shoot for much longer before calling it a day.

This is what I'm looking for! Just a ballpark "feel" of what it would be. That is a great explanation, thank you! I feel the same about my 7mm as you do. I just have no experience with the 6.5.

FURMAN

WKR
I do not quite understand what your comment about it does not matter what the load is. It means everything in recoil. The gun does not know what bullet or powder it is shooting. It only responds to the bullet weight and powder charge. Just making some assumptions a 143 launched at 2700 FPS with 40 grains of powder in a 7 pound rifle will have around 13-14 ft/lbs of recoil. The same weight rifle launching a 162 at 2930 with 70 grains of powder will be near double at 25-26 ft/lbs. Now on the other hand I load 147s in my Creedmoor with 48.5 grains of RL26 when compared to a 7Rem Mag pushing a 140 with 59 grains of H1000 the recoil will be around 1-2 ft/lbs of recoil difference.

I should mention I have also shot 162gr ELD-X in my 7mm. They feel similar to the 168gr Berger, maybe just slightly ‘sharper’ recoil. Nothing too significant between those two

OP
Muley Buck
I do not quite understand what your comment about it does not matter what the load is. It means everything in recoil. The gun does not know what bullet or powder it is shooting. It only responds to the bullet weight and powder charge. Just making some assumptions a 143 launched at 2700 FPS with 40 grains of powder in a 7 pound rifle will have around 13-14 ft/lbs of recoil. The same weight rifle launching a 162 at 2930 with 70 grains of powder will be near double at 25-26 ft/lbs. Now on the other hand I load 147s in my Creedmoor with 48.5 grains of RL26 when compared to a 7Rem Mag pushing a 140 with 59 grains of H1000 the recoil will be around 1-2 ft/lbs of recoil difference.

I understand what you mean. Yes, the load does matter. What I meant by "doesn't matter" is both being max load or both being min load or anywhere in between as long as they are on the same plane. Does that make sense? I do understand the remainder of your post too, in that you can load a significantly different felt recoil for either or anything for that matter. For example I am running 162gr eldx with 68.5gr of H 1000 in my 7mm. Last time I checked it was hornadys published max. If I was to load the publised max with the 143 how would that "feel" compared? Do ya catch my drift?

PNWGATOR

WKR
FWIW I bought my wife a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor and topped it with a SWFA 3x9. Ideal ergonomics, reliable dialing and a shooter. She hated it: too much recoil. Really?!?!?! Really. For her, it was no fun to shoot.

Here's my anecdotal experience from shooting my guns:

Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM, sub 7lbs - 143 ELDX vs Sako Finnlight in 7mm RM, sub 9lbs - 162 ELDX.

The Sako kicks much harder. It's about the edge of comfort for me from a bench when shooting 15-20 rounds on a range day. The 6.5 is pretty easy to shoot as many times as I'd like.

As a side note, I have another 7mm RM with a muzzle brake that I shoot 175 bergers from and it recoils just a tad more than the creedmoor. They really are pretty close. That rifle is right at 9lbs.

FURMAN

WKR
I understand what you mean. Yes, the load does matter. What I meant by "doesn't matter" is both being max load or both being min load or anywhere in between as long as they are on the same plane. Does that make sense? I do understand the remainder of your post too, in that you can load a significantly different felt recoil for either or anything for that matter. For example I am running 162gr eldx with 68.5gr of H 1000 in my 7mm. Last time I checked it was hornadys published max. If I was to load the publised max with the 143 how would that "feel" compared? Do ya catch my drift?

I think I understand. I would say the average load between the two will be a 140 out of the 6.5 and a 162 or 168 out of the 7 in which case the 7 will have roughly double the recoil in the same rifle setup. You will feel it no doubt. Will it effect you? I can't say. It does not bother me. You didn't mention what you will be shooting? Hunting? Elk on the list?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a .260 and 7 RM both in Tikka T3. You can load them down for recoil issues and make them feel about the same. But like stated with full house loads the 7RM can bring the pain. On Tanya’s mule deer hunt I loaded mild loads for her to shoot all summer, then loaded full house loads for the deer hunt, worked great.

Last edited:

BigWoods

WKR
Haven't shot a 7RM, but I can say that shooting my 5lb 14oz all up 6.5 creedmoor is good bit gentler than the 6lb 11oz all up 308 (which I would assume is gentler than the 7RM) that I had previously.

OP
Muley Buck
Here's my anecdotal experience from shooting my guns:

Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM, sub 7lbs - 143 ELDX vs Sako Finnlight in 7mm RM, sub 9lbs - 162 ELDX.

The Sako kicks much harder. It's about the edge of comfort for me from a bench when shooting 15-20 rounds on a range day. The 6.5 is pretty easy to shoot as many times as I'd like.

As a side note, I have another 7mm RM with a muzzle brake that I shoot 175 bergers from and it recoils just a tad more than the creedmoor. They really are pretty close. That rifle is right at 9lbs.

Thank you! These type of comparisons are really giving me a better understanding. I too am shooting a sako finnlite with a limbsaver. I can usually get 20-30 rounds out before I feel like I don't want to shoot anymore.

OP
Muley Buck
I think I understand. I would say the average load between the two will be a 140 out of the 6.5 and a 162 or 168 out of the 7 in which case the 7 will have roughly double the recoil in the same rifle setup. You will feel it no doubt. Will it effect you? I can't say. It does not bother me. You didn't mention what you will be shooting? Hunting? Elk on the list?

Gotcha, thank you! The question will be, will she feel it? From what I'm gathering here from you guys she will more than likely do fine with it. Especially after watching her shoot the 7mm, which she did surprisingly good with...all things given of course. It will mainly be used for deer and antelope and possibly elk at some point.

OP
Muley Buck
I have a .260 and 7 RM both in Tikka T3. You can load them down for recoil issues and make them feel about the same. But like stated with full house loads the 7RM can bring the pain. On Tanya’s mule deer hunt I loaded mild loads for her to shoot all summer the loaded full house loads for the deer hunt, worked great.

I will more than likely end up doing something very close to what you did there Ryan. Thanx!

Hornady makes a 6.5MM 129 Grain Interlock and InterBond Bullet, that might reduce the recoil if, loaded down about 3-4 grains of Powder, less than the maximum charge. Sierra makes a nice 120 grain Pro-Hunter bullet, too. I shoot 140's at 3,140 FPS (65 grs IMR 7828) in my .270 WSM and they kick very close to as much as my 7mm Rem Mag did. IMO way too much recoil, for Ladies and Kid's, to practice with, and enjoy shooting! Dropping powder chg and Bullet weight, like rfurman said, is the answer. Good luck

Comparing recoil among men, is futile, because most men will never admit that, recoil is bothering them. I HAD a .338 Win Mag and thought that Gun was the end all be all, for Elk and Moose, til' I started Bow hunting 10 years ago and realized, all you needed to do, is deflate their Lungs with sharp pointy sticks and they,.. DIE ! Accuracy,.. Kills ! If your wife puts, a little 120-129 grain Pill thru the Lungs/ Heart of an animal at a reasonable range, it WILL,.. die and she will probably enjoy, going with you.

OP
Muley Buck
Comparing recoil among men, is futile, because most men will never admit that, recoil is bothering them. I HAD a .338 Win Mag and thought that Gun was the end all be all, for Elk and Moose til' I started Bow hunting 10 years ago and realized, all you need to do is deflate their Lungs with sharp pointy sticks and they,.. DIE ! Accuracy,.. Kills !

Can't argue with that! 😁

Recoil calculator will tell a lot.

The numbers don't lie, a 243 is probably ur best option with no brake. It will absolutely no be too much recoil. A 6.5 might tho

Assuming 7.5 pound rifles the 140's from 7.5 rifle should giv u about 13 ft lbs free recoil energy vs ur 7mm's 23 or so..

Now this is where it gets "fun"

A 243 would top out at about 10flt lbs with a 105 but an 85gr bullet at
3000 fps would be down to 7 or so. H4896 would offer even lower loads

Or brake any other 308 base round with 120 to 140 grain bullet. And be down to that 6 to 8 range.

Ultimately its a coin flip but I think brake is a better long term option. Muzzlebrakesandmore or lil Basra d should reduce 13 lbs recoil to about 6 and ur placing less demands on the bullet to function properly.

Or last option is spin up so 120gr ballistic tips over a light charge and brake the gun and u can avoid a whole bunch of hassle with buying a new gun.

125gr over 55grains in a tikka super light 300 with a brake was probably was easier on the pad then an over gassed m4gery with 75 bullets