Tikka T3X 6.5 CM questions

I'm looking at Tikkas and a CA Ridgeline. I realize they're in different leagues, but I was curious on the Tikka mag and reamer. Can you reach the lands with the Tikka superlite factory mag length? How about on a CTR? Would going to the mountain tac DBM and running AI mags get me there?

I'm OK swapping out DBM and adding a bit of weight. I plan to run an LRHSi and swapping a lighter option when absolute weight is concern.

TWG0572

WKR
I have the same question about the tikka. I think you can use a 270/30-06 mag to make it work but I’m not sure if anything else needs to be changed. Pretty sure with the standard 6.5 CM mag you can’t load to the lands.

OP
T
Based on input from 24hrcampfire, they finally saw the light with the 6.5 and use a different mag that allows a longer COAL. Several people over there confirmed they can reach the lands.

If you go with the LAmags, you have to change the bolt stop as well.

FURMAN

WKR
The factory bolt stop/release and magazine will NOT allow the 147s or 143s(I will try 140s later) to reach the lands. I replaced my magazine with a long action(270/30-06) magazine and Mountain Tactical bolt release. I bedded my superlite into a Stocky's Carbon stock and it is an awesome rifle. The bare rifle weighs 6lbs and it's 8lbs with a March 2.5-25x52 in Seekins rings and a Nightforce rail. In 6.5 Creedmoor I would take my Tikka/Stock's setup over my Ridgelines or Mesa. I a true long action cartridge Tikka blows with the short mag box and slow twist.

FURMAN

WKR
Under .5 moa out to 870(farthest I've shot it). Smoked two does at 675 in January with 147 ELDMs.

OP
T
The factory bolt stop/release and magazine will NOT allow the 147s or 143s(I will try 140s later) to reach the lands. I replaced my magazine with a long action(270/30-06) magazine and Mountain Tactical bolt release. I bedded my superlite into a Stocky's Carbon stock and it is an awesome rifle. The bare rifle weighs 6lbs and it's 8lbs with a March 2.5-25x52 in Seekins rings and a Nightforce rail. In 6.5 Creedmoor I would take my Tikka/Stock's setup over my Ridgelines or Mesa. I a true long action cartridge Tikka blows with the short mag box and slow twist.

Which stock do you have? Any pics of the set up. The one I like only shows inlet for CDI. The others show magnum contour barrels.

FURMAN

WKR
Stocky's(R) Carbon Fiber Lay Up Long Range Magnum Stocks (CFM) - Tikka T3 Right Hand - All Models - Sporter Barrel - T3 - Tikka - Stock Finder

It is a magnum sporter contour. The barrel channel is perfect.
2NCZ8Oml.jpg

dvwYL7nl.jpg

OP
T
Thank you. That stock looks very nice. The palm swell looks about perfect.

Not to hijack, but is there a good smith that is known for tikka work like bedding and such? I live in the north east but was thinking about shipping it to someone to have it bedded etc.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Multiple T3 Lites and SL’s in 6.5 Creed. All of them reach the lands with 147’s in the supplied mags.

The worst shooter is 1.3 MOA average for 10 shots. All of them have little trouble staying on a 1.5moa target at 1k.

FURMAN

WKR
Multiple T3 Lites and SL’s in 6.5 Creed. All of them reach the lands with 147’s in the supplied mags.

The worst shooter is 1.3 MOA average for 10 shots. All of them have little trouble staying on a 1.5moa target at 1k.

Mine will not fit a loaded cartridge in the mag with supplied mag with a 147 seated at the lands. It’s about .040 too long. Mine has no problem maintaining .5 at 875 yards more importantly it hits where I aim every time I shoot. I would never waste my time with ten shot groups on a hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Mine will not fit a loaded cartridge in the mag with supplied mag with a 147 seated at the lands. It’s about .040 too long. Mine has no problem maintaining .5 at 875 yards more importantly it hits where I aim every time I shoot. I would never waste my time with ten shot groups on a hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 shot groups are a waste of time?

So are your mags the “M+” versions?

FURMAN

WKR
Yes m+ I measured its closer to .020 too long but they will not fit. I could probably just grind on the magazine but replacing it was simple and feeds without a hiccup.

Yes I believe 10 shot groups are a complete waste of time and money and yes I understand statistics. I do all of my load development using a ladder when I have time or if I am short on time using the OCW. I have a very high level of confidence when I am done that the load will be very forgiving and repeatable. I choose to "prove" my loads by making repeated impacts at the same elevation at long range over multiple days. In calm or steady wind conditions I verify my windage and then practice in all conditions.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes m+ I measured its closer to .020 too long but they will not fit. I could probably just grind on the magazine but replacing it was simple and feeds without a hiccup.

Yes I believe 10 shot groups are a complete waste of time and money and yes I understand statistics. I do all of my load development using a ladder when I have time or if I am short on time using the OCW. I have a very high level of confidence when I am done that the load will be very forgiving and repeatable. I choose to "prove" my loads by making repeated impacts at the same elevation at long range over multiple days. In calm or steady wind conditions I verify my windage and then practice in all conditions.

I would have to guess that your issues with the m+ mags is an anomaly, as we can reach lands in multiple versions.

The point of “groups” is, or at least should be, to determine the true mean point of impact and to set a baseline target size that can be hit. I do ladder development as well, but it still doesn’t tell me the above two things.

Zonkjz

FNG
I was able to seat 140 ELDMs in my tikka t3x superlite to .02” of the lands but I cant seat the 156 or 140 Berger elite hunters Closer the .120”
thinking of trying the 270 mag. Do lots of guys run the medium action mag With no issues ?

thanks.

khuber84

WKR
I was able to seat 140 ELDMs in my tikka t3x superlite to .02” of the lands but I cant seat the 156 or 140 Berger elite hunters Closer the .120”
thinking of trying the 270 mag. Do lots of guys run the medium action mag With no issues ?

thanks.
The Tikka 6.5 creedmoor chamber has almost 300k freebore where saami is 0.192 I think. That's why......Tikka uses long throats in all their guns to keep pressure down. Makes it very tough to touch lands especially in the long action cases.