Tikka T3x vs. Christensen Arms Mesa

twall13

WKR
Alright, take it easy on me as I'm not anything close to the guru a lot of you guys are when it comes to rifles. I plan on purchasing a 6.5 Creed in the near future and want it to be a step up from the beater Savage 30-06 I've been using for years. That Savage has been my do all rifle and shoots well enough for my uses. I've killed a bunch of animals with it but the stock is horrible and it's not the lightest kicking 30-06 I've ever shot. I don't plan on getting rid of it though I may upgrade the stock at some point. For this new rifle, I want a lightweight 6.5 creed that doesn't kick as much. At some point my wife and kids will likely be using this rifle so keep that in mind. Yes I know, they would be better off using a rifle fitted to them but for now let's assume that's off the table. Also, please note that I'll likely never be shooting beyond 800 yards max, likely 600 yards would be the farthest for me with 400 and under more the norm.

I've narrowed my search down to a Tikka T3x Lite and the Christensen Arms Mesa. Both are similar in weight at around 6.5 lbs. I'm happy with that base weight. I know these aren't exactly apples to apples for comparison but I've heard a lot of good about both rifles so my question is whether the CA Mesa is worth twice the price of the Tikka? That money goes a long ways towards a nice scope setup. Talk me into one over the other. Go!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
HA! I'm in the same boat you are. I'm currently in the market for a 300 wm I've been looking at both a Tikka or Mesa. After talking to Mike at Hells Canyon and Justin Crossley(here is his review of the Mesa), I've landed on the Tikka(and actually the 300wsm). Where I'm at, if you add a new stock/trigger and in my case a muzzle break, I'll be over the Mesa price. I'm gonna look for a good deal on a used Tikka(unfortunately they don't loose a ton of value), then use the difference to put a break on and buy reloading supplies. My thought, is the Tikka can shoot at the ranges you listed but I don't practice out that far. I figure spending more time shooting than buying a nicer gun will pay more dividends for me.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
I would never discourage someone from buying a tikka, but in this case if you have the funds the CA is going to be in a different league than the tikka. It'll have a better stock and arguably a better action. Barrel and trigger are moot as the tikka has exceptional for both. The CA will have other bells and whistles like a fluted bolt, optional muzzlebrake, etc... also.

Both will shoot, both will have great triggers but the quality has to go to CA (coming from a tikka fan, I have multiple rifle at the CA price point but still own a tikka and love it).

All that said if you have the funds for a CA you open up a lot if other options to consider beyond the CA.

Reactions: OMB

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, take it easy on me as I'm not anything close to the guru a lot of you guys are when it comes to rifles. I plan on purchasing a 6.5 Creed in the near future and want it to be a step up from the beater Savage 30-06 I've been using for years. That Savage has been my do all rifle and shoots well enough for my uses. I've killed a bunch of animals with it but the stock is horrible and it's not the lightest kicking 30-06 I've ever shot. I don't plan on getting rid of it though I may upgrade the stock at some point. For this new rifle, I want a lightweight 6.5 creed that doesn't kick as much. At some point my wife and kids will likely be using this rifle so keep that in mind. Yes I know, they would be better off using a rifle fitted to them but for now let's assume that's off the table. Also, please note that I'll likely never be shooting beyond 800 yards max, likely 600 yards would be the farthest for me with 400 and under more the norm.

I've narrowed my search down to a Tikka T3x Lite and the Christensen Arms Mesa. Both are similar in weight at around 6.5 lbs. I'm happy with that base weight. I know these aren't exactly apples to apples for comparison but I've heard a lot of good about both rifles so my question is whether the CA Mesa is worth twice the price of the Tikka? That money goes a long ways towards a nice scope setup. Talk me into one over the other. Go!

Both of those will be great rifles. I personally would choose the Tikka in that caliber. The Tikka will be about 8 oz lighter than the Mesa. The Mesa has a better trigger without a doubt. Both stocks are serviceable but neither are as stiff as I like. The Mesa does come with a muzzle brake but I hate radial brakes. (wish they would offer it with their side port brake) The Mesa also has more bells and whistles like Ceracoated action, fluted bolt and bolt handle, muzzle brake, and thread protector. If you were going with something bigger like a 300wm or 7mm I would recommend the Mesa.

Apollo117

WKR
OP, not trying to lead you away from two exceptional rifles, but you may want to take a look at one of the new Savage model 110 Storm series of rifles. The Storm series has a new stock design that builds off of the Accustock. The new stock comes with adjustable length of pull and comb height inserts. These additions will be very helpful in making the rifle more comfortable for your family to shoot. You can adjust the stock to the individual shooter. Another reason for suggesting the new Savage is that you are already familiar with the rifle system.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
Both of those will be great rifles. I personally would choose the Tikka in that caliber. The Tikka will be about 8 oz lighter than the Mesa. The Mesa has a better trigger without a doubt. Both stocks are serviceable but neither are as stiff as I like. The Mesa does come with a muzzle brake but I hate radial brakes. (wish they would offer it with their side port brake) The Mesa also has more bells and whistles like Ceracoated action, fluted bolt and bolt handle, muzzle brake, and thread protector. If you were going with something bigger like a 300wm or 7mm I would recommend the Mesa.
Glad you chimed in Justin, especially with your preference depending on the caliber. I've actually never shot a rifle with a brake and wondered if it would be necessary on this caliber. I like the idea of the brake for my kids and wife but I don't think I'd hunt with the brake on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
OP, not trying to lead you away from two exceptional rifles, but you may want to take a look at one of the new Savage model 110 Storm series of rifles. The Storm series has a new stock design that builds off of the Accustock. The new stock comes with adjustable length of pull and comb height inserts. These additions will be very helpful in making the rifle more comfortable for your family to shoot. You can adjust the stock to the individual shooter. Another reason for suggesting the new Savage is that you are already familiar with the rifle system.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I appreciate the recommendation, I'll have to look into those as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I have a Tikka T3x Superlite in Creedmoor that I bedded into a Stocky's carbon stock and sold a Mesa both chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I obviously prefer my Tikka setup over the Mesa. I, unlike Justin, actually think the Tikka trigger with a Ernie The Gunsmith trigger spring is on par or better than the Triggertechs. The Tikka is, as Justin stated, 8oz lighter. I have the exact same money wrapped up in my Tikka as the Mesa. Now, if I were buying a 300 I would not even consider the Tikka because the mag box and twist rate will neuter the 300 with big bullets and there is no reason to shoot a 300 with small bullets. For a 300 the Mesa wins in every way.

OP
twall13

twall13

WKR
At this point I think I'm leaning towards the Tikka over the CA Mesa. I may end up with a CA at some point but for my immediate needs I don't think I need all of the features and price associated with the CA Mesa. Those Savage Storms look interesting. Anyone have any experience with them?

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tikka. It's hard to find a fault with them, hence why so many own them and love them....

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tikka. It's hard to find a fault with them, hence why so many own them and love them....
YUP,.. this ^^^^ Both, T3 and T3X Tikka's are great Rifles ! Adjust Trigger, check forearm for free float clearance, add a Limb Saver and cheek rest for scope height alignment and shoot SUB, MOA with,.. the right Bullet, of course, we love ours !
PS; Most, Nosler bullets at Mag length, "jump", to the rifling real well and group nicely. Good luck !
The Money I saved paid for,.. my Arizona Bull Elk Tag and License !

I have both of these rifles you are asking about. The Christensen is really a gorgeous rifle, very easy on the eyes and really I feel like for what it is, it’s a very good value. My TX3 is getting tore down and the action used in a build but if my money was tight I’d probably go with the Tikka. Can’t go wrong with either though imho

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Of the 2 I’d get the Christensen, I just think it’s a nicer rifle than the tikka. I have no problems at all with tikka rifles and I even have one in 6.5cm but to be honest, Ive never really been impressed with it compared to other rifles I’ve owned. The accuracy is good out of the box but the Christensen Mesa just has more features (and it should for 500 dollars more).

I’m actually looking at building a Mesa for a long range hunting set up at the moment.

mojofly

FNG
Would like to revisit this post, I am in a similar situation and would like some thoughts from everyone.
So I am also looking at a 6.5 Creedmoor, in the Christensen Arms Mesa but in the TIkka I like the Tikka t3x lite in True Timber Camo (Cabelas). Basically both the same price with very similar features, Cerakote, Muzzle Break and the camo stock mainly the difference from the standard t3x but all 3 on par with the CA. Both are really nice and I was able to find them both in a store and touch them. Even though the CA is supposed to be heavier ever so slightly it didnt feel that way in hand so it probably just has slightly better balance and both bolts are amazingly smooth maybe the mesa has a slight edge on wiggle on the bolt but just slight. So anyway let me know what you think on this same price and similar rifles, Thanks

Last edited:

idahodave

WKR
I have a CA Ridgeline...and if I'm being honest I would have been MILES ahead to purchase a Tikka years ago and bought a flat of ammo and just practiced with it. The Tikka has no equal under about $1.500 imho.

Dave

mojofly

FNG
Thanks Dave still deciding on this but Tikka has alot of followers for sure!

Sandstrom

WKR
I had a CA Ridgeline... it went back to the factory three times, the last time they put a new barrel on it. It came back and the headspace was wrong again! Long story short, the gun store I bought it from bought it back from me. I bought a Tikka roughtech and a browning x bolt:) Hands down with out a question get a Tikka!A266E003-D56A-4081-AC71-A1A63C09164A.jpeg
Ten shots with the roughtech after I got the scope close:)
Ryan

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I was debating this myself for the purhase of 300 win mag. I've stayed away from the Tikkas in the past due to 1:11 twist for 30-06, not sure 300. Though for the bullets I shoot I did read that was fine. But what really bothered me was the feel of the stocks.

Locally new Mesa was 1250 and I believe Tikka was 800 something. So I told myself get over it, and buy the Tikka. I found a used Mesa for $850. I have read they are heavier than they claim. But for 300 that might not be awful.

I really like the narrower grip stock, and the feel of the Mesa.

I was debating this myself for the purhase of 300 win mag. I've stayed away from the Tikkas in the past due to 1:11 twist for 30-06, not sure 300. Though for the bullets I shoot I did read that was fine. But what really bothered me was the feel of the stocks.

Locally new Mesa was 1250 and I believe Tikka was 800 something. So I told myself get over it, and buy the Tikka. I found a used Mesa for $850. I have read they are heavier than they claim. But for 300 that might not be awful.

I really like the narrower grip stock, and the feel of the Mesa.
well the tikka stock won't crack and my friends CA did. had to warranty it twice on a 6.5 cm with a brake

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I will find out. Its just the Tikka is the worse stock I have ever felt. But I had myself convinced I could live it, until I saw used CA in my area.