Snowy Mountain Rifle Build with Tony Trietch

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update here as the rifle is still in the build process, I have chose the Conquest V6 3-18x50 | ZEISS United States as the scope for the SMR rifle project.
These are new this year and I will be reviewing the Zeiss as well.
The hardest part is waiting for the build to be completed!

Really interested in this optic and your thoughts. Seems like that would be a popular power range and size for a lot of hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy Mountain Rifles

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Just an update here as the rifle is still in the build process, I have chose the Conquest V6 3-18x50 | ZEISS United States as the scope for the SMR rifle project.
These are new this year and I will be reviewing the Zeiss as well.
The hardest part is waiting for the build to be completed!

Tony, we are excited you chose the V6 as we recently started carrying Zeiss ourselves and love what they are currently doing.
Side note, Watch for some pictures to come today of all the rifle components we are about to start on for you.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, we are excited you chose the V6 as we recently started carrying Zeiss ourselves and love what they are currently doing.
Side note, Watch for some pictures to come today of all the rifle components we are about to start on for you.

You just made sure I won’t get anything done today.

Snowy Mountain Rifles

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Just A quick teaser for the weekend. We have manufactured and gathered some top quality parts now it is almost time to start with our Custom Smith Work. More photos and information to come soon. Thanks to everyone who is following along so far!

Attachments

• DSC00743.jpg
    DSC00743.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 274
Looks like some great parts there. Defiance makes the action correct? What magazine will you use?
What barrel length did you settle on?

Snowy Mountain Rifles

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like some great parts there. Defiance makes the action correct? What magazine will you use?
What barrel length did you settle on?

The action is made by defiance, same body with a few changes we had made internally. They build these actions to our specs. We have decided to use an HS Precision bottom metal for this build and will finish the barrel at 24".

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I spent a while looking at different scopes for this build, these were some of my criteria;

Great glass. Period.
MOA turrets.
Zero stops.
Plenty of elevation adjustment.
Max magnification of at least 15x
A company with a solid reputation for customer service.
Compact length and light weight.
30mm tube would be a plus.
Top tier light transmission.
Second Focal plane would be a plus.

In the end I choose a scope that is new for 2018 and I will do a review for you on it as well..

Conquest V6 3-18x50 | ZEISS United States

IMG_4116.jpg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
looking forward to more on that Zeiss. if 630 grams is 22oz, not too shabby.

DRUSS

WKR
I am wondering earlier post said rifle weight of 7-7.5# is this rifle weight or total with scope & ready to hunt type weight as a goal? This looks like a really nice build going to follow closely as I have been reading about the zeiss 3-18 also for my 300 wsm that i am trying to not go over 8# with.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am wondering earlier post said rifle weight of 7-7.5# is this rifle weight or total with scope & ready to hunt type weight as a goal? This looks like a really nice build going to follow closely as I have been reading about the zeiss 3-18 also for my 300 wsm that i am trying to not go over 8# with.

I am thinking he meant the rifle without scope.

BKhunter

WKR
Any update here? Heard Snowy on the EXO backcountry pod cast and am interested in what they are turning out over there.

codym

WKR
Also very interested in a review of the V6. It's between this scope and a NXS 3-15 for my 280 AI. Any info will be helpful.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am back from the first leg of my fall rd trips (13 weeks) and the last two tags were filled with the SMR! This build came out pretty sweet and I will get pics up soon. I am still unpacking but won't make you wait to long.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
a24a243d9dfe0e6b69507e39a957b394.jpg

bd5847edace500b04da5f88e8f54642d.jpg

007648de54d94d02eec3b5e17f23c9f3.jpg

I’d like to introduce The SMR Alpine Hunter.