7RM 160 Accubond RL22 slooooow

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Finally ran my tried and true 7RM load with 160 Accubond and RL22 through a chrono. Have been loading at Nosler book max with good accuracy and no pressure for a long time. Always suspected it was slower than the book predicted and now I know it is. It’s running 2,915 FPS but super low SD and ES. Barrel is factory Win from around ‘97. Is it time to ditch the RL22 for another powder to get to the happy side of 3,000 FPS. Or maybe bump up the charge a bit. Or just maybe get over it since I don’t shoot it past 500 meters anyway. Anyone have similar results with a 7RM?

Yep, I have one 7mag that is always far lower than book and factory ammo published velocities. 2915 isn't all that slow for a 160 in a 7RM, if you ask me, either. Given what you've stated about accuracy, SD/ES..keeping firing. If you have to have more fps, give RL26 or IMR 7828 a try. Also keep in mind RL22 is known to be fairly sensitive to temperature swings. Not sure what temps you tested in, but it might run a bit faster when the temps come up.

Honestly, if you're not shooting past 500 meters I'd just stick with what you got. Especially if it works and you know how it shoots. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That’s not a bad velocity with that bullet in a 24 in. barrel. It will get you to 500 easy.

You can try another powder to squeeze out some more if you want, but I would have no problem hitting the woods with that load as long as the accuracy was there.

I like Retumbo with the 160 AB myself.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm also loading Retumbo in my 7mag. Pushing 168 berger vlds at 2930. Not super fast but quite accurate and proven deadly out past 600.

I stepped down in velocity in favor of consistency and would do so every time. You have a very serviceable loading for your rifle. Unless you need a project, I'd keep shooting that.

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Shot it again early this morning and left the magneto speed at home. Happy with the hits to 500 meters. Thanks for the sage advice. I guess I’ll have to make up a new problem to try to try to solve that doesn’t need solving. The off season is getting old!!!

Rockchuck

WKR
I had the same issue in a winny 7 mm rem mag with rl22 and 160 accubonds. Ended up settling on a max load of rl25 and it shoots bugholes at 3080 fps. Fin to fiddle with different loads and see what you rifle likes!

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using RL22 and 160g accubonds, I've got a little more velocity but I'm in FL.

Do you have the bullet seated to SAAMI or measured to your lands? You'll lose some velocity if you dont seat it as deeply

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Seating it at book COL. Even though it’s hitting with RL22 I tried some IMR7828 I have on the bench. Very similar SD and ES with a max load but picked up a whopping 8 fps over the RL22. Even though I’m trying to tell myself it’s fine I keep wondering what’s over the next hill! RL25 was in my hands last night at SW but talked myself out of it cause it’s slower than RL22 and I’m running a 24” tube

Rockchuck, are you running RL25 in a 24” barrel? I’m getting some decent flash with RL22.

The critters won't laugh, and refuse to die if the magical 3000 fps isn't reached. As far as I know, they still don't have built-in impact velocity indicators, so as long as they know you are using a Seven Em Em MAGNUM some fps's left on the table won't matter to them. Just the word 'magnum' will do it....

OP
E

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Huntsman, that’s some funny stuff...point well made. I’ve been lurking over on 24hcf for years and have found your wit entertaining over there too.