Kimber Montana 280 Ackley Improved

Trigger06

FNG
I'm looking at getting a new rifle for elk/deer/antelope in AZ and NM. I'd like yall's opinions. I'm looking for a light weight (<6 lbs base weight is ideal) rifle. My budget is around $1250. I am partial to the Kimber Montana, as I've read great things about their accuracy and the weight is right where I want it. I was thinking of 280 Ackley Improved because I'm partial to 7mm bullets, but don't want the weight of a magnum action. What do you guys think? I want to make sure I'm not missing another good option.
Thanks!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I think you've picked a fine rifle/cartridge combo. I don't think that you'd be upset with that purchase. Good luck.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like the Montana checks all of the boxes and comes in right at your price range.

I love my Montana and I’ll likely get another one down the road, great trigger, great stock and I’ve found mine to be very accurate, weight it a touch under 6lbs with a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 and Talley lightweight rings.

280ai is a great all around caliber for the animals you mentioned.

elkguide

WKR
Biased, fanboy here.
I have several Montanas and they are just as you say, lightweight, accurate and a great choice in a factory rifle.

handwerk

WKR
My 280 AI is a custom model 70, but there are a lot of Montana fans out there for good reason. I can say I've been very happy with the 280 AI cartridge, as has been said, a great all a rounder.

I don't consider myself a fan boy, generally my praise is pretty hard earned. I have more rifles than I care to admit, some I paid far more than what a new montana goes for.... that said I genuinely believe that kimber montanas are the BEST valued rifle on the market today. I have paid alot more $$ for a lot less rifle.

.280 is a fine choice.... I'm a big 280 rem fan and the AI is a 280 rem on steroids.

My 280 AI is a custom model 70, but there are a lot of Montana fans out there for good reason. I can say I've been very happy with the 280 AI cartridge, as has been said, a great all a rounder.

Exactly what I have. I had a Winchester Classic Sporter rebarreled in .280 AI with a 24" Shilen match barrel. The .280 AI is a fantastic cartridge as is the 280 Remington. Elk sized creatures beware! The Kimber rifles look to be really nice but I have not shot one personally. Looks to be a great choice though.

I have a few Montana’s and love them. 280 AI is a great choice, but ammo is a bit of a PITA.

LaGriz

WKR
Trigger06,

Like many others I am a fan and a believer in the .280 Rem. The .280AI has got to be an awesome cartridge. I own a Kimber Montana 8400 and it is a fine rifle. I dislike the blind magazine much more than I thought I would. I'm also a big fan of wood stocks. Knowing this, I would opt for the weight penalty and get the kimber in a classic wood stock configuration. You could mate it to a light weight scope and be well under 7lbs. This total weight might leave you with a rifle both pleasant to shoot or carry, and not require a muzzle break like my .325 WSM. Good luck with your purchase. LaGriz

Boreal

WKR
I've got a Kimber MA in 280 AI and a Montana in 6.56 CM. I reaload for both and found some really good loads for each of them using Hammer bullets. I love both cartridges and both rifles, but if I had to do it again for the 280 AI, I'd buy the Montana over the MA and do a few things to lighten it up and put the extra $$ into optics. Once you get it set up right, it'll put a 3 shot group into a cloverleaf at 100 yards. More than that and the barrel starts to heat up and things start to go a little awry. But if it's a hunting rifle, how often do you need more than 3 shots in short succession? I think you'll be plenty happy with the Montana.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I thought long and hard about a 280AI as it seems to be an awesome setup and just seems to ooze class. The more I looked on here though and saw what Alliant Reloader 26 will do with a 150gr bullet in the .270 win or what the superformance will do with the 140gr SST I decided on the .270.
The 280AI is still a very nice cartridge and impressive ballistics for the relatively small amount of powder you burn.