Operation AZ elk drop'er

schmidty3

FNG
So I unexpectedly got drawn for a limited opportunity AZ elk hunt with 0 points as a non res... But I don't have an ideal elk shooting iron...I know, I know, what a terrible problem to have!

I've got a lot of thoughts, so I'll try to keep the variables organized.... (cough...long post ahead :p)

Bullets:

So the goal is to get a new elk shooter. I think the ideal way to approach this is to work from the terminal end back.

Looking at the maps it looks like I could potentially call one in to within <50 yards in the thick stuff (did I mention it was in the rut :cool:), or I may end up shooting cross canyon. So a bullet that could do both is in order.

Looking at the available elk worthy pills I think a heavy 7mm or 30 cal. bullet is called for.

7mm:

160 gr accubond (not long ranges, i've seen those splash on an elk shoulder at ~100-150 yards)
160 gr partition
175 gr partition
Some sort of barnes
180 gr berger
195 gr berger
160 gr Fed trophy bonded tipped
155 gr Fed TLR

30 cal:

200 gr accubond
200 gr partition
200 gr Fed TLR
210,215,230 berger

I like the design of the partition, but its not ideal at longer ranges. The Accubonds look like a decent option. Not a huge fan of barnes, but they do penetrate well. The new federal bullets look like a really good compromise between weight retention and opening at long range. Bergers have great ballistics, Ive killed one WT doe with a 7.5x55 with 175 gr bergers with a ~2500 fps muzzle velocity and it was bad news, but I have concerns with penetration on bigger critters and higher velocities under 100 yards.

As far as cartridges I think a 7mag or 300 win mag are the sensible options. (although a long barreled 280 AI does intrigue me, and a 30-06 is just a classic).

A short digression:

I do have several potentially suitable guns available to me. So this is a "want" (and ive got a bunch of other gear to get too...I need a pack and I need a rangefinder. Maybe a truck shell. Maybe a sleeping pad and bag...etc, so money will be tight).

The guns I have are a Browning BLR 308. tikka CTR 6.5 in a chassis (heavy PRS type setup). I could borrow a 270 rem 700 bdl or a Ruger 7mm mag with boat paddle stock. Of these the ruger is an obvious choice, but it is my dads, and I doubt it will stabilize anything over 160gr or so (but it could suffice), and it has a decent mid 90's leupy Vari-X 3, 3-9x40.

Back to the main discussion...

Optics:

As far as available optics, I have a leupy vx6 2-12 and a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 that I can repurpose. If I go leupy i'll get a CDS dial for it. And as a fyi the Cronus passed my box test on the tikka.

The choice of optic likely affects my comfortable range. I did some dry fire on some whitetails this weekend at ~850 yards. On 29x it seemed pretty doable, 12x would be tough but likely possible with practice. So if I go luepy it would likely be a 600 yd max, maybe 800 for the cronus (ignoring other variables at the moment). On the other end, i'm very comfortable shooting running critters at close to medium range with the leupy on 2x, 4.5x is a bit trickier under 50 yards. The optic also effects my overall weight. I believe the cronus is 1+lbs more then the leupy.

Terrain/Elevation/Bare Rifle Weight:

The elevation is roughly 6000 ft. I expect to have to cover a lot of ground being that there's not many elk in the unit. I don't think there's too much super nasty elevation changes unless I decide to cross some of the canyons. Id call the average terrain "moderately mountainous". That being said I think a bare rifle weight of 6-7.5 lbs is about right for this mission.

The standard elevation and load development will be done at 500-1000 ft asl.

Silencer/threaded barrel:

I've got a 30 cal thunderbeast ultra 9. I would like to be able to utilize it. I haven't fully read through the AZ regs, but I believe its ok to use. If not then I'd still like the capability to put it on. So a threaded barrel is a strong want, if not a need.

And for the record, I do like being able to hear the thump of the bullet hitting an animal, its a good indication of a hit.

Budget:

Probably around $1000 +/- a bit. Again, this is a want, not a need. And there's plenty of other things that I need/want for this trip. There's always the battle in my head between my engineering brain that appreciates awesome engineering, and the engineering part of my brain that appreciates efficiency. The efficiency side is winning. I foresee more bow hunts in the future. So I don't want to go crazy. A cooper or fierce does make me drool a little though :p

Build vs Buy:

Back to the efficiency brain. A turnkey option seems ideal for me at this time. Savages don't do it for me, but the performance is there. Apparently there's a switch barrel Howa option now which could be a good choice (mcgowen "howage"). A barreled action is like $300. A custom tikka would be the bee's knee's but the mag length is short for the magnums. I could maybe steal the rem 700 from my dad and build off of it.

However, time and tools are an issue.

Factory options:

It doesn't seem like theres a ton of options for faster twist 7mm's in a factory gun. The browning xbolt long range stands out. Many of the 300mags seem to have a 1-10" except the tikka (to my knowledge). I do not want to single feed rounds FYI.

~$1000 or less options:

Kimber: I've lusted after a 280 AI Montana, but the barrel was a touch short and the twist was wrong. Looks like a 300 mag Montana has a lot of the features im looking for, however kimber has developed a dubious reputation for accuracy and QC.

Browning: The Browning hells canyon speed or long range look like an awesome choice. 26" barrels. I fondled each and I liked the way the stock fit, the action feels good, and I liked the 60 deg bolt. I think I liked the speed the most due to the lighter weight.

A more sensible option is just a long range stalker at ~$800. But im not sure what the twist rate is. Brownings website doesn't match on some of the rates of twists.

I saw a note that said that browning was increasing the rate of twists on the long range models. The hells canyon long range I fondled in 7 mag had a 1-8". The Speed was unmarked but the website says 1-9.5" which may be a bit slow for the heavies.
But in a 300 mag the speed has a 1-10", which should stabilize the heavy bergers If my research is correct.

The con on the speed is that the threads on the muzzle are non-standard and I would need an adapter. I'll probably ask thunderbeast if they could make a brake in the different thread, or if they felt it was safe to run the adapter). The Pro of the speed is the weight, With the thunderbeast it would be about the same weight as the bare long range.

So a 300 mag hells canyon speed is likely my frontrunner. I do have concerns about the longevity of the plastic duratouch stock. But McMillan has a replacement should I feel the need in the future.

No accuracy guarantee :(

Christiansen Mesa:

A bit above my price range, but I could swing it. A lot of good features on paper. A good name, sub moa guarantee. Remington footprint so a lively aftermarket. Decent weight. I've handled them in the past. Honestly I didn't think the action was worthy of $2k+ (tikka has me spoiled), but in the mesa it is about right. (I also don't know what im talking about! lol).

Anybody have any experience with the stock? is it a solid composite or plastic?

I have not fondled the mesa. Anyone know a store in dallas that has one?

Tikka/Sako:

From what Ive read its not worth going with a sako over a Tikka. If they had a solid composite stocked version for $1K-1200... maybe.

Tikkas are gauranteed shooters. The twist rate and short mag are limiting but I can maybe get over that since they are such a value. The stock isn't optimal but usable and replaceable while staying under $1100 or so. Or just leave it and rock it as is. (I do like my tikka a lot).

Would a 300 mag tikka stabilize 200 gr bullets with a 1-11" twist? What grain bullet would the 7mag with a 1-9.5" be capable of stabilizing.

Howa:
The first lite looks good but im uneducated on them. Sub-moa.

Bergara:
The ridge has a lot of good features, its just heavy :( .... sub-moa.

And lastly..."The Shooter"

A 28 yr old, short for his weight at 5'8". Male. Mecahnical Engineer. Slightly overconfident when it comes to shooting, but terrible with women. Damned good with a shot gun. Damned good at high pressure fast developing shot opportunities with a rifle. Thinks that rifle hunting is boring and prefers his recurve but has never hunted elk and wants to kill one. lol:cool:.

Has reloading experience and the equipment.

Not a lot of long range experience. Not a lot of wind doping experience (I do have ballistic arc and the associated cheapo wind meter). I've taken my tikka 6.5 creedmoor to ~600 yards but haven't gone further yet. My "range" at the farm is about 600. I could maybe stretch it out to 800 but need to do some figur'ating on the angles.

I plan to go to some longer ranges at some point.

Likely plan would be to do a full load development. Then most likely i'll get in 100 or so rounds or practice. Then go kill things.

Concluding Thoughts:

So with all that said. Can anyone add or subtract from my list of variables?

I'm currently leaning towards the 300 mag hells canyon speed with either the leupy for a moderate and sensible ~600 yard gun. OR go all out on the optic and pair either the speed or the long range with the Cronus. If I go with the long range the 7mag may be a good option with the 1-8" twist and higher BC bullets. But a 200+ gr slug out of a 300mag has some perks on elk. The speed throwing the 230 gr bergers would probably do some damage. The high mass weight and lower velocity ease some of my fears on a close shot. And the 26" barrel seems nifty.

The Mesa in 300 mag is a close runner up (but a budget stretch). I think its long term durability and upgradeability will be easier to work with. I don't know if i'll shoot enough to burn out a barrel, but a 700 action would be preferable to the browning in that regard. The 24" barrel isn't exactly what I want, but I am putting a silencer on it, so its gonna be a long beast even with a 24". However, the 90 degree bolt throw is not as sexy! lol.

The tikka is the most sensible option. Just get one and use it as is for this one hunt. Deal with the slower twist rate by shooting slightly lighter bullets.

Or I just save my money, load up some 160 gr accubonds or federals and use the Old Ruger. :(

Anyone have some other insights or concerns?

Thanks

PNWGATOR

WKR
You know how to hunt elk? You in good physical condition? These two things would be my main focus and concerns.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
I'm not sure on the recurve. But I believe it is a "general" tag. So I believe the answer is yes. However the population is very low in this unit. I do only have to compete with 5 other hunters in the whole unit. Dates of sept 28 - oct 7. Hopefully they are bugling.

I know how to hunt. Never have I ever hunted elk. Much research and planning is ongoing. I've got a few mentors. And a few strategies to work with. The plan is to come in with multiple plans, be adaptable, and know how to call a little and locate. I don't have much scouting time and will scout a day or two before the hunt. That's just how it has to be. I've already got a few areas picked as plan A and B, with all of the water sources I can find marked.

I'm fat and I know it. Fat, Pack, and feet are my top concerns. Conditioning and my pack are number 1 and 2. I just got some zamberlans so #3 is taken care of pending more miles.

The gun is like #7. But guns are sexy and easy to think about.

I'll be perusing around on the forum for packs info as well.

RoJo

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide, DS. Glad you decided to join. :)

My best piece of advice, besides what you have already heard...don't burn yourself out on the first day!

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
lol. I plan to use the full duration if I need to. With only 5 guys in there it's not a race.....hopefully. It's gonna be a long haul to find one. (or I'll get one in the first day :))

First, congrats on your first elk tag. Very exciting. Welcome to rokslide from one mechanical engineer to another. I have a couple comments:

1) 24A is a tough hunt. I’m assuming that’s what you drew considering it’s the only tag in the state with those dates and that number of tags. You’re going to want to be in great shape because you may spend a lot of time hiking between elk sightings. It’s also likely going to be very hot in that area during those dates. You’re from Dallas apparently so nbd, just be prepared. If you plan on being out all day take 4 quartz of water minimum. Some people take less but that’s just my advice. Prepare every day when you leave the truck as if you will shoot one and not get back to the truck until after dark. That way you always take enough food and water.

2) The fact that you drew as a nonresident is actually irrelevant. Arizona does not distinguish between nonresidents and residents for limited opportunity hunts, so you were no more lucky than any resident is that drew that hunt.

3) Technically won’t there be only 4 other hunters to compete with in the unit instead of 5?

4) To answer your actual question I would personally choose the Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 win mag. I’m going to be picking one up myself here soon. The Brownings just don’t do it for me.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
308 BLR with 180 Partitions would work well in all the AZ elk country I’ve been in...this from a fellow mechanical engineer who always wants the “perfect“ weapon for the hunt at hand. I had a 7mm-08 BLR for a long time growing up deer hunting in Michigan; they deserve a lot more credit than they get.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
haha... good point. I stopped doing math after college. It burned me out i swear... Yes. only 4 other hunters! Lol

24a it is...and yes it is gonna be a tough hunt for sure. But it will be a fun experience. I'm still researching all of the rules on the national forest land. But the plan is to do sort of a hybrid backcountry/truck camping hunt. Maybe range out and if I get in a good area just camp there for a day or two.

Definitely very concerned about water. Goal #1 of the hunt is to not die. Water is more valuable then ammo. I'll be carrying a bunch and will have some filtration method of things get desperate. There are some tanks around and a couple of creeks that's have water.

Can you elaborate on some of the reasons you chose the mesa? And can you comment on the stock? The browning is a "really nice plastic" lol. It has some flex. But as far as Tupperware goes it seemed decent.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
I do like my BLR. I haven't used it in years. I've just had better options for the task at hand lately. It's a classic and I think I took my longest shot on a deer with it. It was fairly hurried and I didn't think about range. Hit it at 300 on 3x, didn't have time to dial up the power. I know a 308 will do. But if I have to go cross canyon it will be a poke. If I do go that route I may have to work on the trigger some. It's not super objectional, but a bit stiffer then I've become used to.

Can you elaborate on some of the reasons you chose the mesa?

Mainly personal preference reasons. I grew up shooting a Remington 700 mountain rifle and there’s a lot of similarities that make it comfortable. Same action essentially, hinged floor plate, same safety location. I also am a big fan of the limbsaver recoil pads which I’ve thrown on all my current rifles. The threaded barrel is nice as is the included muzzle brake and thread protector.

I won’t pretend to be a rifle expert, though. There are much more experienced guys on this site that have given solid reviews of the Mesa. Some of their comments have been that it’s got a long mag box, and the stock performs pretty well for one on a gun in that price point supposedly. Those on top of the gun just feeling right in my hands are why I’m getting one. But there’s plenty of other great choices out there! Whatever you choose, put an elk on the ground with it.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I know this thread was mostly geared towards rifles and ballistics but if I was going to offer any advise it would be this.....

First you have 3 good rifles available to you in the .308, 270, and 7mmRM. All are clearly up to the task. I know it is fun to think about and look to build/buy new rifles (we all love to do so) but you do have perfectly good rifles now, so at least the pressure of having to buy/build is off.

Second I would say forget about the 600 yard shots on game animals in the field let alone 800. You are a recurve hunter. You scoff when others say "they ran out of cover at 200 yards". You don't get serious until you are 10X as close. You have that advantage in probably every other hunter that drew that tag. You can and will get closer, especially on an elk. Just too many things that can go wrong when you are talking shooting that kind of distance. Now it does sound like you are an experienced shooter so using one of the rifles you have available or buying a new one it shouldn't take you too long to find your chosen load and get some good time behind the rifle. This leads me to my third and most important point.

I haven been on some bad elk hunts and decent elk hunts, but never a great one yet. I have though hunted AZ several times and while like you mentioned it isn't very high some of the terrain can be deceptively steep. You posted up that you were fat and had to work on it. This sounds like something I would post as well and here is the heart of my reply. I do not know you, or have even seen a picture of you. I often call myself fat too, and I am compared to those I measure myself against. I am about to turn 40 in a career and world where 30 is old. I can still run high 14minute two miles and average two 5k's a week. I don't have much trouble benching 250lb 8-10 times and even with a bum knee I can still do working sets with upper 400's on my deadlift. I also have some extra weight, but compared to the average American 40 year old guy not a ton. I am NOT saying any of this to brag but to bring up the point that I still call myself fat, but know that I can handle any elk hunt thrown my way and you have to be honest (not with us as most on here will never actually meet you but with yourself) and are you fat in that you can still hunt most any terrain without a big issue or fat in that you need to make serious improvements to increase your odds on the hunt.

Why I think this is so important is this. I think you kill out west with first your eyes then your legs. If those are not your weakness then keep up what you are doing, but spend more time shooting and developing you riflemen skills. Buy that rifle, develop those new loads, practice, practice, practice, dialing up to different distances. If on the other hand the legs and cardio are what will prevent you from getting as far in as you want then instead of worrying about bullet choices spend more time running and hiking. Make shooting a reward you are allowed to do when you can go from 5 min all out on a stair stepper to 10min. If you were going to go spend 2 hours on the range on a Saturday then spend that time with a pack on your back instead and maybe every third time you get free go and shoot. If you have a lot of experience (and weapons you are already somewhat familiar with) then it won't take a lot of trigger time before you are able to hit way out there and up close.

Please do not take this as me trying to brag up my abilities or put you down because there are many, many on here that are 10 years older than myself but could out climb, hike or run me without breaking a sweat. I am really trying to give you the best advise I can. I also realize that all hunts are fun and that the planning and choosing just the right gear is part of that fun no matter if it is guns, broadheads or hand crested arrows. By all means enjoy the challenge and fun of trying to pick just the right gear for the hunt (even knowing it is an ever evolving and impossible task). I just know if you are huffing and puffing 4 miles in and up a canyon with sweat pouring in your eyes and the time between stops are getting shorter and shorter than the ballistics of your rifle will be the last thing on your mind.

Good luck with the prep and even more so with the hunt. Sounds awesome. Also don't be shy in asking on here for any advise on the particular unit you are going to. I have found that this site has some really great people on here that will help you out in any way you can.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
Thanks for the post. I'm still going to call myself fat! Lol. The dallas cube life has not been kind. that being said. I can cover 10-12 miles a day covering public ground in Oklahoma. But it's flat. And I wouldn't want to do it for 2 days straight let alone 2 weeks. I've got a lot of work to do and I know it. Especially once you add a meat laden pack in high heat with the urgency of doing 2-3 more trips before it spoils. Oh and add in some elevation while we are at it. I know what I signed up for. This is my catalyst to make some life changes.

I see some insanity and loaded pack training in my near future.

Guns are funner too talk about :)

I can half ass a gun together at the last minute and feel fine to 300-400. If it comes to it I'll buy some factory loads of some type or another for the 7 mag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Of the dozen elk I’ve shot in NM, AZ and CO, all of them were done with a 270 or a 30-06, both Remington 700bdl rifles with fixed 6 power scopes.

If I was hunting those areas today, I’d take my Winchester 70ew 30-06 but if I was buying something off the list you mentioned it would be a toss up between the browning long range and the Mesa, both of those are rifles I’ve been interested in.

You might look at the weatherby vanguard back country/wilderness rifles, they have decent stocks and some cool features for a good price. I’ve become a big Winchester 70 fan over the years so I’d point you there as well, a EW in 300wm would be awesome as would their RMEF model. Both of those would be right around your price range.

Since I’m in AK these days, I mostly focus on synthetic stainless rifles because of the rain but I never used a stainless rifle in 20+ years of hunting the southwest USA and never felt like I needed it. If I ever go down to hunt again, it’s going to be a good excuse to check out something blued and wood. Back when I was hunting those areas, I lusted over a ruger 77 in 300wm, that’s what I’d get if I was going back.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
the 1:11 Tikka/Sako 30 cal barrel will stabilize the heavies. I made a thread with a similar theme. Anyway long story short I was able to get a number of sub moa loads, the 208 hornady ELD's are awesome.

with that being said, I am a Tikka/Sako fan boy. I think you should buy a Tikka t3x light stainless in 7rm.

As others have mentioned, if you are fat, that's the #1. Smoking your legs/lungs on day 1 will make the remainder of your time spent hunting suck.

2five7

WKR
If you are going to buy, your choice of the HC speed in 300 win is a good one. Put your 2-12 vx6 on it and that's a nice, accurate, lightweight elk hunting rig, capable of killing farther than farther than you can :)

I have 2 HC rifles, one speed and one McMillan long range, they both shoot great. No issues with the duratouch on the speed.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I've not been in 24a but I spent 13 days last November next door in 23 with the late archery hunt so I can make some educated guesses.

You are already on the right track with the thoughts of wanting long range capability. Seeing bulls every day but not having a shot under 120 yards made that value extremely apparent to me.

Make sure you are consistent with the aforementioned lifestyle change and hopefully this started the day you found out you drew. Killing it for one or two days in this type of terrain is one thing, two weeks is another. Positive mental attitude will also go a long way.

Be prepared for hiking through thick/thorny brush. Rocks will be everywhere and it looks like this country is pretty vertical. Watch for snakes.

One thing not mentioned, are you planning on attempting this solo or will you have help? The former is not recommended but at a very minimum bring a SPOT or similar.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide, DS. Glad you decided to join. :)

My best piece of advice, besides what you have already heard...don't burn yourself out on the first day!

I have hunted in AZ with my brother in a different "limited opportunity" unit several different years. The first year we hunted 6 days and never saw an elk of any kind, he had an either sex elk tag. He shot a cow the day after I had to leave.
Second time we hunted the same unit we hunted from before sun-up til dark every day and finally found a herd of elk and he got his bull on day 11.
He has had 2 other tags in the same limited opportunity area and taken 2 very nice bulls. We have learned the area well enough that we know where to start looking and eliminating areas with no elk.
The elk in those limited opportunity areas are few and far between and can be very hard to find.
Your choice of weapon will not be nearly as important as being able to cover ground and finding the elk. Get in as good of shape as possible, you will be sorry if you don't.
Good luck on your hunt.

Dougfir

FNG
If you're a bit rusty with rifles and have been mostly bow hunting, you may not want to worry too much about long shots. Shooting at 400, or 500 yards isn't easy and takes a lot of practice, in my opinion. I find anything over 300 yards to be pretty challenging, especially if you're in the field and don't have the ideal place to lay/rest, etc. And, inside of 300, your .308 is probably a great choice. Load it up with 165 accubonds, or something similar and I'd say you're good. Then you can focus on your strategy and prep for what sounds like a challenging hunt! Congrats on the tag!