Gun Scope and Factory Ammo out to 800 yards under $1200

I shoot out to 1000 yards all the time with a vortex viper hs lr and that’s a sub $600 scope. I know lots of other dudes who do the same. I don’t know who started the whole internet panic of scopes not tracking but It’s kinda overstated in my opinion.

I’ve had one Vortex and it wouldn’t track. I’ve had a couple Leupolds fail to track.

I’m batting 1000 on 6 different SWFA scopes.

So you’ll have a hard time convincing me that it’s overstated.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I shoot out to 1000 yards all the time with a vortex viper hs lr and that’s a sub $600 scope. I know lots of other dudes who do the same. I don’t know who started the whole internet panic of scopes not tracking but It’s kinda overstated in my opinion.

I did. Or I was one of the main ones that did.

I’ve seen and tested hundreds of scopes (professionally since 2010) and it is not overstated at all. If anything, it’s massivly understated. In the last 7 days- 2x Vortex PST and 1x Leupold VX6 have lost zero and and failed to return to zero. That is 100% of Vortex’s and Leupolds used in that time. In contrast better then three dozen SWFA’s and the nearly 100 Nightforce’s have have held zero, adjusted and returned to zero correctly..... in the last year.

Do what you want and take take your chances. It means little to me. I can shoot any optic I want, and I do. The moment any scopes start giving trouble I’ll be the first to throw the flag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I did. Or I was one of the main ones that did.

I’ve seen and tested hundreds of scopes (professionally since 2010) and it is not overstated at all. If anything, it’s massivly understated. In the last 7 days- 2x Vortex PST and 1x Leupold VX6 have lost zero and and failed to return to zero. That is 100% of Vortex’s and Leupolds used in that time. In contrast better then three dozen SWFA’s and the nearly 100 Nightforce’s have have held zero, adjusted and returned to zero correctly..... in the last year.

Do what you want and take take your chances. It means little to me. I can shoot any optic I want, and I do. The moment any scopes start giving trouble I’ll be the first to throw the flag.

So do you think the 6x and 10x SWFA scopes are a good place start for somebody looking to get into longer range shooting? If they work that well for 300 bucks it’s sort of a no brained.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking to put together a rifle to shoot out to about 800 yards for practice, less on game. I do not want to reload and would like to spend under $1200. Any suggestions on gun, load, and scope would be appreciated. I'm thinking either 7mm or 300 right now. Thanks.

If it we me, I'd go:
Ruger American Predator 6.5cr - $450
Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 - $499
Rings - $50-$75
Bipod - $100
Spend the remainder on ammo!

Matt

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to parrot what many have already said... Tikka and SWFA. I'm far from an expert in LR shooting, but I've been learning and practicing as much as possible for a few years and I've come to believe the scope matters WAY more than the rifle. In my experience, there are many good and relatively inexpensive rifles out there, but few scopes that are consistently good, and even fewer that are both good and "inexpensive".

If you are going to play with long range shooting (and put in the work and practice required for ethical "long range" hunting), and you're on a budget (like me and most of the rest of the world) SWFA is pretty tough to beat. I really like the mil-reticles and the awesome consistency of the adjustment on these scopes. I'm a big fan of the 3-9 specifically. Although the 6x is really great too. Sighting in and then shooting at "long" range with a scope that TRACKS is an eye opener, in a really good way.

Just for fun, my specific suggestion and personal favorite would be a stainless tikka t3x in the chambering of your choice (7mmRM, 300WM, 308, 6.5CM, etc etc) with SWFA 3-9. This setup could be ready to shoot for way under $1200 if you are patient and look for deals.

Felix40

WKR
Ive been following this thread out of curiosity. Since its being discussed, I will add my amateur 2 cents. You can buy a used rifle and save $100 on a nice gun. If you shop around a bit it should be easy to find one that someone barely ever shot. Especially in bigger calibers. Once you find the rifle...I would echo what several people have said on the SWFA scopes. I just got my 3-15 mounted up a few weeks ago and its dead nuts. I zeroed at 200, dialed to shoot 400 and got on target in two shots. Then dialed for 600 and hit a gallon water jug on my first shot. I didnt have a lot of time so after that I dialed back to zero and shot one exactly on top of my original group there. Im sure there are plenty of scopes that can do it but I was super surprised it was that accurate after dialing 10 moa. I will shoot it further next time out. I just say all of that to encourage you that a rifle in your budget with factory ammo can definitely reach out there once you find what it wants to shoot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So do you think the 6x and 10x SWFA scopes are a good place start for somebody looking to get into longer range shooting? If they work that well for 300 bucks it’s sort of a no brained.

They are really good scopes. There are as many, or more, 6x MQ SWFA scopes on hunting rifles with those I work/shoot/hunt with than any others.

If a person is trying to learn to shoot reliably out to 600-700 yards, they’d be going backwards if they went something other than a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor and a SWFA SS or Bushnell LRHS.

To add to that, are their variable scopes any good?

The 1-6x, 3-9x, and 5-20x are excellent scopes. The 3-9x42mm is quite possibly my preferred general hunting scopes- I have two that have more than 100,000 documented rounds on them. They still work correctly.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They are really good scopes. There are as many, or more, 6x MQ SWFA scopes on hunting rifles with those I work/shoot/hunt with than any others.

If a person is trying to learn to shoot reliably out to 600-700 yards, they’d be going backwards if they went something other than a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor and a SWFA SS or Bushnell LRHS.

The 1-6x, 3-9x, and 5-20x are excellent scopes. The 3-9x42mm is quite possibly my preferred general hunting scopes- I have two that have more than 100,000 documented rounds on them. They still work correctly.

Thanks for the info, I guess I know where I’ll be spending a bit of $$$.

hodgeman

WKR
Tikkas are nearly universally good shooters and the 6.5CM is a wonderful cartridge for shooting long...good ammo options and the recoil is tolerable for as long as you want to shoot it. Harder kicking guns get old fast.

I picked up a SWFA 10x... very nice scope. You can do what you want for under a $1k....

R H Clark

FNG
If your budget for both is under $1200,I would buy a Tikka T3X 6.5 Creedmoor and a SWFA SS 6X if hunting or 10X if just targets.

If $1200 is gun only I would buy the Tikka CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor and one of the discounted Bushnell LRHS scopes that GA Precision has coming.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a lot of advice here, I kinda have some of both of what you are looking at. I have a Tikka CTR in 260 Rem that I bought a few years ago before they were available with 24" barrels in 6.5cm. I bought it pretty strictly for long rangeish shooting at steel. Great trigger, soft recoiling and very accurate (I've only ever shot handloads in it, not much selection for 260 out there unlike the CM). For shooting long range targets, it's really nice.
I hunt with a 300 WM, however. Weatherby Vanguard accuguard. Also very accurate (broke it in with factory, only handloads since). Not as pleasant by any means to shoot as the Tikka due to increased recoil, but to me, it's not bad. That said, my previous rifle that I shot a ton of was a lightweight 375 that was fairly ferocious, so the 300 is a nice step down in that regard.
There are differing views on what you will want in a hunting rifle, caliber wise, and I'm not about to step into that argument.
But strictly from a 'shooting steel way out there' perspective, the 6.5's are super. Low recoil, high BC...lots of choices, relatively cheap ammo.
If you do decide to go with a 7mm or 300 mag, I personally chose against that in a Tikka due to the way the Tikka's are setup in terms of box length, and at least on the 300, twist. I am slinging 212's and they need some box to feed from, and a lot of twist to stabilize, and I don't think the Tikka will work down here at near sea level with the bullets I want to run. But your mileage may vary.
Tikkas, most of them, are also wonderfully light...a good thing in the arms...maybe not so nice for a long day at the range with a 300 win mag shooting heavy bullets.

Something to think about...maybe figure out what caliber (or calibers) you want, then match what is out there in terms of choices to those needs. I ended up with a two rifle solution. Probably could have gotten by with just the 300 as it doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would, but two rifles is nice when it's hot and you want to keep shooting....let one cool while you shoot. etc. And no doubt, recoil is way lower in the 65!

Have not had SWFA or Nightforce...currently have Vortex HST, Leupold VX6, VX3i, Zeiss HD5. Been lucky, so far, none have had dialing problems. We push them out to 1200 yards, back, up and down again, no problems as of yet. But then, we're shooting steel plates, not targets, so maybe they are off a bit and we don't notice, not sure. But been 'elk sized kill zone good' so far with no issues. The Leupolds have been particularly good in low light and handling flare etc., HD5 a little less so but still great. For hunting scopes, been really happy with them.

HTH!

Last edited:
Get a tikka t3x lite from Whitaker’s for under 600 bucks and spend the other 600 on a good scope.

Just an FYI - Whitakkers dealer incentive is going away starting April 1. Derrik posted that over on 24hr. Their prices are going up. Just for clarity, normal Tikka prices are not going up, but the discount they were able to buy them at is going away.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just an FYI - Whitakkers dealer incentive is going away starting April 1. Derrik posted that over on 24hr. Their prices are going up. Just for clarity, normal Tikka prices are not going up, but the discount they were able to buy them at is going away.

I read this over there too...Pretty disappointing to hear. They consistently have the best prices on Tikkas of anywhere I've found. I have all the tikkas I need for the moment or I'd be ordering one before the 1st (although maybe this is an April Fools joke and Derrick is having a little fun with everyone???? A guy can hope right?)

I have bought two rifles (one Tikka) from Whittakers and they were both the best deal around by a long shot. They are great to deal with plus offer free shipping.

Dougfir

FNG
I don't think this will be too difficult. While it's no beauty, I'd be tempted to try a TC Venture. I'm really impressed with the accuracy I'm seeing from the one I got my kids. During barrel break-in, the box of Federal Fusions I got was printing well under an inch; 5/8" on one group. If you got one of those in 7mag, you'd be able to afford a really nice scope, which I would want at 800 yards. They're also kinda heavy, which would be appealing if I was going to do a lot of practice shooting with a 7 mag, or .300. Another good option, in my opinion, would be a Howa 1500.