Gun Scope and Factory Ammo out to 800 yards under $1200

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to put together a rifle to shoot out to about 800 yards for practice, less on game. I do not want to reload and would like to spend under $1200. Any suggestions on gun, load, and scope would be appreciated. I'm thinking either 7mm or 300 right now. Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get a tikka t3x lite from Whitaker’s for under 600 bucks and spend the other 600 on a good scope.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5-300 for about $500, then spend the rest on a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
You can get a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5-300 for about $500, then spend the rest on a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At $60.00-$100.00 per box of ammo not going to do much practice. 6.5 creedmoor in a multitude of rifles with a swfa ss would be one of the cheaper routes and be able to practice shooting with out going broke

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka t3 in 6.5CM, 10x SS gets you there with room for ammo. The CM has super factory ammo at reasonable prices, capable of MOA at 1000 yards.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. Seeing a lot of recommendations for the 6.5. I was thinking of going bigger than that. I’d be primary using this for elk so leaning 7rm or 300. The tikka looks like a good option on the rifle leaving about 600 in for a scope. Any good options at that price or under? Any good factory loads for either caliber with a good high bc bullet that’ll shoot out of the tikka? In my research I remember something about the twist rate in there barrels a bit slow for some bullets Could be wrong not super knowledgeable on that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Seeing a lot of recommendations for the 6.5. I was thinking of going bigger than that. I’d be primary using this for elk so leaning 7rm or 300. The tikka looks like a good option on the rifle leaving about 600 in for a scope. Any good options at that price or under? Any good factory loads for either caliber with a good high bc bullet that’ll shoot out of the tikka? In my research I remember something about the twist rate in there barrels a bit slow for some bullets Could be wrong not super knowledgeable on that.

There’s really only one $600 scope for LR shooting. SWFA 3-9x42. They track and hold up.

FURMAN

WKR
I can't recommend any combo including scope and rifle for shooting game at 800 yards. You may get lucky and find one with the magic factory ammo but it is not likely without spending a ton of money searching for the right ammo. Do you already have a rifle? I would recommend practicing with what you have a save your money for a good setup. The rifles you are going to purchase for that price range are very limited in the magazine for seating bullets where they really should be and some have slow barrel twists. The only factory ammo I would really want to shoot for 800 yards on elk would be the ABM Berger 215(soon to be Berger). If you are dead set on it I would have to steer you towards a Browning in 300 win and try to find a Vortex HST 6-24. You posted this in the Firearms forum where I would guess most of the responders do not shoot long range. It would have been better placed in the long range forum if you really desire to shoot game at long range.

KurtR

WKR

Your more of a man than i am if you can get behind either a 7mm rem mag or a 300 in an un breaked tikka and practice. The deal with shooting longer is practicing longer. Your worried about money well shooting either of those is not cheap. Just to go shoot 60 rounds which is not alot you will have over a hundred bucks in to it. With the 6.5 with great factory ammo you will have 65 ish and it wont feel like mike tyson just stomped a mudhole in you.

OP
U

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I see what your saying Kurt. I have the ability to get Hornaday ammo at a fraction of the cost to what you pay at the store. I didn't want to confine the question just to Hornaday ammo just to find out what is out there. As far as recoil goes, I am not very recoil sensitive, although i would consider a break if needed. The price isn't really a huge deal, but if you don't put a cap on it, suggestions tend to end up always on the high end. Really the goal for this gun is to be able to kill an elk at 400-550 yards, and try shooting targets past that. I think that can be accomplished in this price range but I could be wrong.

Get a tikka t3x lite from Whitaker’s for under 600 bucks and spend the other 600 on a good scope.
GOOD advice ^^^^ Buy it in, 7 mm Rem Mag, .270 WSM or, .300 WSM, if you can handle Recoil,.. and DONE !
Any of those Cal's, with PROPER loads, will get you an Elk to 700 yards if,.. you can shoot !

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot out to 1000 yards all the time with a vortex viper hs lr and that’s a sub $600 scope. I know lots of other dudes who do the same. I don’t know who started the whole internet panic of scopes not tracking but It’s kinda overstated in my opinion.

I shoot out to 1000 yards all the time with a vortex viper hs lr and that’s a sub $600 scope. I know lots of other dudes who do the same. I don’t know who started the whole internet panic of scopes not tracking but It’s kinda overstated in my opinion.
Agree with this ^^^^ we too, have had, NO trouble "Dialing", our Burris 4.5 X 14's !
My son shot his, Rem model 700 .300 WSM into, sub 10" paper plate sized groups, "Dialed" at, 1,000 !
We "verify" our Loads at, 200, 400, 600, 800 yards and make our own "Tapes" accordingly.

Last edited: