Winchester 70 Stock Options

wyodan

WKR
I am just about to pick up a Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06, and one of the first things I would like to do is replace the stock on it. Eventually this will end up being a 338-06. I know Brown Precision, Hi-Tech Specialties, and McMillian, but can you guys throw me out some other suggestions on manufacturers that you like? Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have you handled the b&c stock yet? The newer ones are MUCH nicer than the older blockier ones. I have that same gun and I’ve actually been impressed with the stock on it.

All that being said, I also have an older m70 that has a beat up wooden stock, I was going to order a b&c stock for it then I figured....why not move the b&c stock over and get a McMillan for the extreme weather.

I was going to do the same thing with my extreme weather, but I really came to like the BC stock... even though it got a hole punched in it from a gnarly spill down a scree slope.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
I am looking to drop the B&C stock simply for the 10+ oz I will save. In the long run this will be a semi custom rifle by the time I replace the stock and barrel.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Plan for a trigger too, the factory MOA is a bit of a letdown.

I'm open for suggestions on those too. But right now my main concern is the stock. I've got a plan, but there has to be more stocks out there that what I'm finding on the google.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm open for suggestions on those too. But right now my main concern is the stock. I've got a plan, but there has to be more stocks out there that what I'm finding on the google.

I’d just get a McMillan, they offer the most options and customizations of any of the manufacturers (at least I think they do). They are fully custom so you get exactly what you want. Drop a timney trigger in it and you’ve got a killer rifle.

That’s what I did/doing.

I just got a Manners for a Remington Model 7 and am very impressed. My M70 wears a Bansner though.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
I just got a Manners for a Remington Model 7 and am very impressed. My M70 wears a Bansner though.

How hard was it to get the Bansner fit? Since they are totally unfinished, I am not sure I have the skills to get it to where I would like it.

handwerk

WKR
Tha bansners are not that had to finish, but they are a bit junky if you are working with a light barrel contour and they are kinda think in the wrist to me.
One of our M70's is in an old borden/rimrock stock which is a great design but not made anymore.
Between my kids and I we have 7 model 70's in mcmillians and those are our favorites...the other one I'd look at is brown precision, but as said the MCM offers the most options and I think they have the compact edge in inventory right now that would fit your rifle, should come in at between 23-25oz.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Tech Specialties on 3 M70’s and really like them. As said above the MOA trigger in the newer M70s scream for Timney. Miss the older G series trigger.

How hard was it to get the Bansner fit? Since they are totally unfinished, I am not sure I have the skills to get it to where I would like it.

Good question. I spent a lot of hours on it. There wasn’t a lot of fitting, but there was a lot of finishing. None of it was very difficult, but it was time consuming.

I would say that if you enjoy winter projects, it is a good route to go. But if you just want an aftermarket stock, buy a finished one. Keep in mind with the Bansners, you’ll still need a recoil pad and paint, so that closes the price gap by about $75.

Here’s how mine came out

Attachments

• 9A33FE65-EF41-4DE5-8191-1917E205655A.jpg
    9A33FE65-EF41-4DE5-8191-1917E205655A.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 42