Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

OP
ndbwhunter
Figured I'd bring this back up. Picked up my rifle a few weeks back so I'm going to start piecing things together little by little. I'll probably hold off on the stock for a while to keep costs down. First modifications will likely be bottom metal, fluting and cerakote.

Anyone else have a tikka build going that they would like to share? I'll post up pictures as things progress.

tperkins

Lil-Rokslider
T3X CTR- 20" 6.5 Creedmoor
Factory stock- modified KRG Bravo adjustable buttpad mechanism, Kalix Teknik adjustable cheek riser, Varmint forend
EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x50, MD1 reticle w/ EOtech rings
Insite Arms Heathen brake
Gunwerks bolt knob/Glades Armory bolt handle
Atlas BT10 w/ Atlas bipod rail
11.5 pounds with magazine

EEkoArV.jpg

n75QNnS.jpg

chu9PvG.jpg

T3X CTR- 20" 6.5 Creedmoor
Factory stock- modified KRG Bravo adjustable buttpad mechanism, Kalix Teknik adjustable cheek riser, Varmint forend
EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x50, MD1 reticle w/ EOtech rings
Insite Arms Heathen brake
Gunwerks bolt knob/Glades Armory bolt handle
Atlas BT10 w/ Atlas bipod rail
11.5 pounds with magazine

EEkoArV.jpg

n75QNnS.jpg

chu9PvG.jpg

I’ve been eyeballing those Kalix Teknik cheek pieces... did you install it on your own? Any trouble getting the foam out of the back end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tperkins

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eyeballing those Kalix Teknik cheek pieces... did you install it on your own? Any trouble getting the foam out of the back end?

I did install it myself. No problem getting the foam out. It’s spot glued on the sides of the stock, so I worked a regular kitchen knife around the sides to break it off, then brought the foam out in chunks. The one problem I had was during drilling. I went a little too fast when stepping up to the 12mm holes, and the bit grabbed hard and cracked the stock between the holes. Nothing a little epoxy couldn’t fix, but it is something to keep in mind if you do it yourself.

tperkins

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. How do you like it so far? Does it sit solid, any rattling around?

It seems solid. It locks into place with no wobble. It’s maybe not the most durable design, and the actual cheek piece does have some flex to it, so I’ll likely keep it in the down position for transport or hard use. However, one benefit of the design is weight- after subtracting the weight of the factory cheek riser, the Kalix Teknik only adds 46 grams to the rifle.

BC Boy

FNG
Hi all, my new stock is enroute from wildcat here in Canada, coretac bottom metal, and the rest is at the Smith to be reemed and trued from a 7mm08 to 280ai with la mag and altered bolt stop. Going to see how the factory barrel shoots but I'm looking for options for a new barrel with factory contour if it doesn't. Merry Christmas from British Columbia. BC Boy.20181209_092124.jpg20181209_091704.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
Hi all, my new stock is enroute from wildcat here in Canada, coretac bottom metal, and the rest is at the Smith to be reemed and trued from a 7mm08 to 280ai with la mag and altered bolt stop. Going to see how the factory barrel shoots but I'm looking for options for a new barrel with factory contour if it doesn't. Merry Christmas from British Columbia. BC Boy.View attachment 83658View attachment 83659

Great sounding setup BC!! The 280 AI is a very interesting cartridge, be sure to share your results when it’s finished!! Did Stew do the stock work for you? It looks awesome!! What kind of recoil pad did you have installed? I went with a flip flop pad on my wildcat, nice and light, but it’s taken a beating this past season in the mountains, I might switch it out to a real pad soon.

Happy new year!

BC Boy

FNG
I went with the thicker of the pads stew suggested. Yes he did all the work including bedding. Yes I'm hoping the 7mm08 reamed go 280 ai will shoot. No reason it should not. I've have 6 powders that should work. Going to start out with rl26 and 160 gr np, accubond, and 145 lrx. Will keep you updated and some pics when the action shows up from the Smith. I recognise your handle from hbc, where do you live? Happy new year.

Decker9

WKR
I went with the thicker of the pads stew suggested. Yes he did all the work including bedding. Yes I'm hoping the 7mm08 reamed go 280 ai will shoot. No reason it should not. I've have 6 powders that should work. Going to start out with rl26 and 160 gr np, accubond, and 145 lrx. Will keep you updated and some pics when the action shows up from the Smith. I recognise your handle from hbc, where do you live? Happy new year.

Good stuff! I love the .280, Iv often thought about having mine reamed to a AI.
I’m in burns, a couple hours west of PG. Happy new year to you as well BC!!

snarpezal

FNG
Decker9, If you don’t mind me asking, what did your Wildcat Tikka stock weigh finished with the flip flop pad? I have been really thinking about getting one for my tikka t3x superlite in 6.5 creed. I have McMillian edge stocks on a couple of Remington rifles. How do you think that Wildcats compare When finished?

Thanks Craig

Decker9

WKR
Decker9, If you don’t mind me asking, what did your Wildcat Tikka stock weigh finished with the flip flop pad? I have been really thinking about getting one for my tikka t3x superlite in 6.5 creed. I have McMillian edge stocks on a couple of Remington rifles. How do you think that Wildcats compare When finished?

Thanks Craig

My wildcat finished at 19 oz’s, I did all the finish work myself, I think I went a little light on the paint is why mine finished a tad lighter then most. It’s a mountain rifle tho, so not meant to be pretty LOL. One thing I did notice that I did not like, was my rifle felt a bit front end heavy with the wildcat, I had the barrel cut down to 20” and fluted after, which seemed to help a lot with the ballance.

Iv never handled a McMillan before, but Iv heard their pretty comparable for feel and stiffness to the wildcat. The McMillan is more of a drop in fit I hear also, but half of the reason I love mine so much, is because I did the finish work myself, makes a guy smile a bit more when he picks it off the shelf :).

My Tikka has had a few iterations. Falls into the "semi" custom category I think.

Factory 30-06 barrel cut to 18.5" and threaded
Gemtech Tracker suppressor
Wildcat Stock (22 oz w/ Limbsaver pad)

Weight of the naked gun is 5.5 lbs. Can be configured as either a 6.4 lb carbine with a light Leupold or up to 7.9 lbs as shown with suppressor and heavy optic package.

ib5fsmW.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My Tikka has had a few iterations. Falls into the "semi" custom category I think.

Factory 30-06 barrel cut to 18.5" and threaded
Gemtech Tracker suppressor
Wildcat Stock (22 oz w/ Limbsaver pad)

Weight of the naked gun is 5.5 lbs. Can be configured as either a 6.4 lb carbine with a light Leupold or up to 7.9 lbs as shown with suppressor and heavy optic package.

ib5fsmW.jpg

A lot to like right there!!