Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Decker9

WKR
I ran a t3 300wm for quite a few years. Putting a B&C on it helped a lot with the recoil, a much better feel vs the original tikka stock, but did not notice any difference in accuracy.

I also have a t3 6.5 Swede that I put together for my mountain rifle, bedded in a wildcat composites stock, chopped the barrel to 20”, fluted and cerakoted. Weighs 5 lb 9 oz bare. The wildcat stock is a a bit lighter then the t3 tupperwear stock, but a lot stiffer.

Cost, $500 for the stock, $350 for fluting and cerakote, Canadian.

https://i.imgur.com/NY2pCec.jpg

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here is mine a buddy helped put together.

Action: Tikka T3x (LA bolt stops) w/ LRI fluted bolt

Barrel: X-Caliber 17.5” 1-8 twist fluted #2 5R Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor

Stock: Factory T3x

Scope: Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44

Gun shoots right around 1/2 MOA, and loving it so far. Have shot it to 1000 yards a few times and am very pleased. Gun was built to be a 600 yard deer, sheep, antelope gun. Currently shooting 130 VLDs, Varget, and Peterson Brass right at 2800 FPS.

1c651d3e75b7b3c7290d93ca073f0d3b.jpg

b99548e79df9f8c4f57b0f3dd7e5c0ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the wrought iron pattern from LRI on the bolt?

davsco

WKR
Here’s my semi custom Tikka.
Proof Carbon 24” bbl chambered in 6.5-06
Bell & Carlson stock

looks real nice! what if any bedding (or inletting) did you want or have to do when switching the barrel and changing the stock? are you fully free-floated, fully bedded, something else? do the tikka's come fully free-floated from the factory?

looks real nice! what if any bedding (or inletting) did you want or have to do when switching the barrel and changing the stock? are you fully free-floated, fully bedded, something else? do the tikka's come fully free-floated from the factory?

I can only answer to the factory float question. Tikka barrels are floated almost all the way to the receiver. There are ridges or tabs on the barrel channel on either side that contact the barrel, just a few inches in front of the receiver. Some guys have removed these via dremel, but I dont know that they've seen much if any accuracy improvement.

R H Clark

FNG
I've been thinking about trying a 6.5 PRC. My first thought was to buy a Seekins Havak but now I'm considering building one off a Tikka.

If I were to buy a Tikka in a WSM with the intention of putting it into a McMillan Game Scout with a Proof Research carbon barrel, would any one WSM be a better pick over another? I think I need the magnum bolt face but could mags and bolt stop be changed easily to give me plenty of mag box room to reach lands?

What kind of money could I expect to pay just for the gunsmithing work to install a new barrel and bed the action into the McMillan?

Jon Boy

WKR
I can only answer to the factory float question. Tikka barrels are floated almost all the way to the receiver. There are ridges or tabs on the barrel channel on either side that contact the barrel, just a few inches in front of the receiver. Some guys have removed these via dremel, but I dont know that they've seen much if any accuracy improvement.
Ive seen point of impacts change with them when loading bipods differently before I took the dremel to them, and after POI stayed the same consistently

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sixgunfab

FNG

The stock did require a fair bit of inletting but fits the Proof Carbon pipe perfectly in my opinion. Also it is fully bedded and free floated. Tikkas also come free floated from factory.
5EB85578-8D19-47DA-99DF-DB8C2A937DDC.jpg 7DBE688D-97DB-4E09-B7D8-8FFB84B8A5EF.jpg

Sixgunfab

FNG
I've been thinking about trying a 6.5 PRC. My first thought was to buy a Seekins Havak but now I'm considering building one off a Tikka.

If I were to buy a Tikka in a WSM with the intention of putting it into a McMillan Game Scout with a Proof Research carbon barrel, would any one WSM be a better pick over another? I think I need the magnum bolt face but could mags and bolt stop be changed easily to give me plenty of mag box room to reach lands?

What kind of money could I expect to pay just for the gunsmithing work to install a new barrel and bed the action into the McMillan?

I am currently doing a build just about identical to this for a buddy right now also. All you really need is the magnum bolt face. The bolt stop is easily changed out and so are the mags. I found a cheap stainless T3 in 7 Rem mag that will be getting reconfigured to the 6.5PRC but I am trying it a Carbon Six barrel on this one.
I am also building myself a 7 saum off a 300wsm Tikka T3X. Love their actions and triggers!

I am in Canada so I can’t really speak to your smithing prices in the US. All I know is due to our shitty dollar right now a Mcmillan Gamescout costs $1300 with the Edge fill! 😳 hence why I went B&C for my stocks.

R H Clark

FNG
I am currently doing a build just about identical to this for a buddy right now also. All you really need is the magnum bolt face. The bolt stop is easily changed out and so are the mags. I found a cheap stainless T3 in 7 Rem mag that will be getting reconfigured to the 6.5PRC but I am trying it a Carbon Six barrel on this one.
I am also building myself a 7 saum off a 300wsm Tikka T3X. Love their actions and triggers!

I am in Canada so I can’t really speak to your smithing prices in the US. All I know is due to our shitty dollar right now a Mcmillan Gamescout costs $1300 with the Edge fill! �� hence why I went B&C for my stocks.

Thanks for the input. Yes,I did think about the 7 mag too since it already has the longer bolt stop. I would be interested to find out if the 7 mag mags will reliably feed the 6.5PRC, or did you plan to use a different mag?

RedSnake

FNG
For 6.5 PRC I’ve heard that the CTR bottom metal is feeding well. Buy any magnum donor rifle for the bolt and action and then get the CTR bottom metal off of eBay. Btw the Game Scout is a little narrow for the CTR DBM.