load devolopment questions

When I started reloading I was reloading for three savage 110s in 270. Never did load development, just followed reloading manual components, including brass. Never had any trouble getting these rifles to shoot any different combinations, honestly didn't know that you could have wildly varying accuracy with different loads.......until I bought a couple rem 700s. There where a few different rifles in the last 25 years or so since I started reloading, and didn't have any trouble with those either (maybe luck).

My question is, are certain rifles actually flat inaccurate with certain bullets, or IF you do correct load workup with each bullet will acceptable (to me 1moa) accuracy be found.
I don't get as much range time as I would like, try to go once per week. What I have done with these rifles is load up several different bullets (for 3 shot groups) with under max loads with the most popular powders for that bullet weight. When I find a bullet that the rifle seems to like, then I will do full load development with that bullet. With these two rem 700s I will see groups as large as 4" at 100, and some well under an inch. I have been able to get them to shoot atleast one load .75ish, but never with the bullets that I actually wanted to hunt with. Further load development with the loads that shoot good always prove accurate and consistent results.

Just curious what others thought?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I only shoot Nosler bullets in my hunting rifles. I've been able to find a load for all my rifles that are accurate with Partitions and Accubonds. However, I only load for 7 rifles. Maybe it's just my small sample size.

Dave270

FNG
I use to believe in the searching for what that particular rifle liked; bullet,powder.... I wasted a lot of time. From author John Barsness I found that bullet concentricity is the most important factor. Any bullet is accurate if started down the barrel straight.

V65Magna

FNG
My question is, are certain rifles actually flat inaccurate with certain bullets, or IF you do correct load workup with each bullet will acceptable (to me 1moa) accuracy be found.

The short answer is "yes". Case in point would be a .22-250 with a 14:1 twist trying to stabilize a 55 or 60 grain bullet. Like you, I've had pretty good luck following manuals but now that I am dabbling in longer distances alot of other variables come into play. Sometimes sub-MOA performance comes relatively easy out to 300 yards but after that (for me at least) all bets are off with "basic" reloading techniques.

I have found a couple instances where I can't get a certain bullet to shoot satisfactorily from a given rifle despite significant effort.

elkguide

WKR
I've had great luck with so many different rifles and when I was fine tuning, most were working to get from 1" to -.75". I had one "custom" rifle that came with a target and load that was .6". I tried a load from two different rifles that was - .75" in the two other rifles but in that custom rifle it was a +2" group. Some rifles just don't like certain combinations.
Generally, with good quality control, I have found a good rifle will shoot less than 1.5" with most loads. That's where the fun begins in working up the load to get it to less than an inch.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I've never found a bullet that I couldn't make produce groups under 2 MOA at 100 yards, regardless of caliber but yes, badly matched ammo can produce bad results.

I wonder what caliber you are using and what hunting bullets you are having problems with, I find it hard to believe that you can't find a good performing load with any hunting bullet.

OP
B
30 06
bullets that have shot good, 178 eldx,165 interlock,210 long range accubond. all moa or better, The eldx is very close to 1/2moa
165 partition at about 1.75 and 180 partition about 2 inches.
Original plan for this rifle was for 0-400 yards and 165 or 180 partition

Shoot the ELD-X with the 1/2 MOA,.. and don't look back ! They will work fine at, .30-06 velocities, on Game as, they have, an interlock ring.
OR,.. try a 180 AccuBond, some bullets just, "don't work" without, a lot of, f&*King around !
Most of the Guys, using ELD-X's seem to like them, especially under 3,000 FPS.
Are you lubing, the case "Neck" lightly and is your expander ball and shaft concentric ?? that is VERY important ! See Dave270's, post.
Like N2TURKEYS said,.. Noslers almost always,.. "shoot",.. so you could play with, seat depth, powder charge and Primers !

Last edited:

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 178gr ELD-X in my 30-06 and I also like Barnes TTSX bullets. I've taken elk with the 168gr TTSX with very good results.

OP
B
Did some more shooting with this thing last weekend. Came up with some promising 180 partition loads and tried some 150 accubonds that shot inch..ish. Sighted it in with the eldx, and shot several groups. Most of the eldx groups were about 3/4, and all under an inch. Plan on using the 178 eldx for spot and stalk spring bear, but I am going to try another load or two of the partitions. If they shoot close enough to the same POI of the eldx I will use them when we hunt over bait this spring.

OP
B
One interesting thing with this rifle, is with the same point of aim and different loads, either the groups are very near point of aim, or about 3 inches left and 3 inches low.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty common. I usually do work a load up, start at the mim powder charge and going up in .2 increments till I get a load that is just amazing.

I've transitioned to shooting Nosler Accubonds for my 270 and 7mag, both are Savage 116. The 270 does 1/4 MOA at 100 yards on a calm day and the 7mag is a little better.