Scope recommendations for 6.5 CM Barrett Fieldcraft

OP
T

texag10

WKR
I received the scope today, mounted it, and am sending the thing back to Bushnell to be repaired. The elevation turret if incredibly stiff and I can hear something shaking around in the scope. I can't blame Bushnell for this since it was bought from an Amazon seller listed as a NIB return. It certainly looked like it had not been mounted to me. I let the seller know they sent me a broken scope and am waiting to see what they do.

I think it will be made right, but I am not happy right now. Looks like my plans to go shooting this weekend are on hold.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a 1.5-8X32 Razor HD LH on a Kimber Montana for a couple years. It has excellent glass and I love the G4 reticle but the clicks are extremely mushy, so much that I can barely tell one from another. I don't know if they are all like that but I would classify them as more of a set and forget scope than a dialing scope and with the reticle choices I think I would pick something different for longer 600-800 yard shots.

In that situation I would much prefer a FFP reticle and mill adjustments like the SWFA or LRHS. Though the NXS SFP would work, you would just have to make sure you didn't accidently have the magnification set under 10X if using the reticle. If the 3-12 LRHS had illumination, I would never consider the NXS and wouldn't even think about the 4-5 ounces extra.

You just have to weigh everything and decide what's the most important to how you hunt.

I’ve got the same scope in 2-10 and the turrets are unbelievably mushy. No discernible “click” whatsoever. I don’t plan on dialing so I don’t really care but for the sticker price you’d think they’d have that figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
I received the scope today, mounted it, and am sending the thing back to Bushnell to be repaired. The elevation turret if incredibly stiff and I can hear something shaking around in the scope. I can't blame Bushnell for this since it was bought from an Amazon seller listed as a NIB return. It certainly looked like it had not been mounted to me. I let the seller know they sent me a broken scope and am waiting to see what they do.

I think it will be made right, but I am not happy right now. Looks like my plans to go shooting this weekend are on hold.
Well, that's brutal. First I've heard of that. They are usually solid, smooth scopes. There was a run of them with the parallax marked backwards, but otherwise most are happy with them. Hope they make it right by you!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently purchased a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM with a 21" barrel. I plan to use the rifle for hunting mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, and the occasional cow elk as well as practicing shooting in the field to gain/maintain proficiency for hunting. Most hunting will be in my new home of CO, but I might go to WY for pronghorn on occasion. I would like to be effective for 400 yard shots on game when my skills are there and be able to stretch to 6-700 yards for practicing. I plan to buy a steel plate to set up for shooting. I'm new to bolt action rifle shooting, most of my experience is with pistols and ARs at 300 yards and in.

Currently I have a Bushnell 3-12 LRHS on backorder at a price of $1000. The shipping date I was given has come and gone, so I am going to miss the 30% rebate period (ends 3/30) that was originally factored into my price. I like the low profile elevation turret with zero stop, FFP reticle with useful holds, and capped windage turret of the LRHS, but it is a bit large and heavy (~25oz) for a 5 lb rifle.

I have the option to cancel my order and get a new NF 3-10 SHV with MOAR reticle for $799 shipped. I lose the zero stop and FFP reticle, but still have useful holds on the reticle. I have seen other people fashion a shim based zero stop for the elevation turret on the NF and would get a slightly more compact and lighter scope. I figure on longer shots on targets I can just pull the cap on the turret and dial elevation and use the has marks to hold wind with the reticle.

Any input on what I should do would be appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of Nightforce and really like there scopes. I have a SHV 4-14x50 and ATACR 5-25x56 on both my guns 300 ultra and 6.5. Cant go wrong with them. Simple and easy to use and durable as all get out which is a big plus for me on how I am with my equipment.

deadwolf

WKR
First off, the more I shoot my Fieldcraft (which isn’t enough) the more I really love it. I’m not going to get into a debate on what scope works better, is lighter, or is in fashion. But I will say that I am never, ever going to skimp on optics again, and have found everything I’ve purchased from Nightforce to be 100% reliable and of the highest quality, with tier 1 service from NF. My Barrett is topped with a NF 3-10x42 SHV and makes for one heck of a nice little package. The Barrett came in just under 5lbs, and with the scope and UL rings I think it’s at 6.3lbs all scoped up.

I love rifles, and I approved this message!

OP
T

texag10

WKR
I think they will make it right. I honestly don't know what the hell happened to break the scope and I don't really care all that much, I just want a working one back so I can get shooting, see if the gun likes 147gr ELDM, and build a drop chart.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think they will make it right. I honestly don't know what the hell happened to break the scope and I don't really care all that much, I just want a working one back so I can get shooting, see if the gun likes 147gr ELDM, and build a drop chart.

My fieldcraft likes the 147s at just over 2700 fps from the 18" barrel. Handy little rifle for sure. I am sure you'll like it.

OP
T

texag10

WKR
My fieldcraft likes the 147s at just over 2700 fps from the 18" barrel. Handy little rifle for sure. I am sure you'll like it.

RL26? I don't have dies or really anything to reload 6.5CM yet, but thining about picking up the 8lb jug of RL26 at the local sportsmans just to have it.

OP
T

texag10

WKR
OK, Bushnell is sending me a new scope, but since they don't make the 3-12 LRHS anymore I had to get a 3-12 LRTSi. I'm now going to have a 28oz scope with an exposed windage turret (but apparently it locks even though the manual doesn't say how). I'm not sure I want something that heavy on the fieldcraft.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OK, Bushnell is sending me a new scope, but since they don't make the 3-12 LRHS anymore I had to get a 3-12 LRTSi. I'm now going to have a 28oz scope with an exposed windage turret (but apparently it locks even though the manual doesn't say how). I'm not sure I want something that heavy on the fieldcraft.

Pull out out to unlock, push in to lock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
First off, the more I shoot my Fieldcraft (which isn’t enough) the more I really love it. I’m not going to get into a debate on what scope works better, is lighter, or is in fashion. But I will say that I am never, ever going to skimp on optics again, and have found everything I’ve purchased from Nightforce to be 100% reliable and of the highest quality, with tier 1 service from NF. My Barrett is topped with a NF 3-10x42 SHV and makes for one heck of a nice little package. The Barrett came in just under 5lbs, and with the scope and UL rings I think it’s at 6.3lbs all scoped up.

I love rifles, and I approved this message!

How did you mount that nightforce to your fieldcraft?

deadwolf

WKR
How did you mount that nightforce to your fieldcraft?

I went with a Talley 20moa rail and NIghtforce ultralight low rings. 6.3lbs all scoped up. Here’s a pic...

5c039a5b24fe8c953d957245801e03f0.jpg

Last edited:
Can you spin the elevation turret 100 times top up to bottom out and then same on windage and shoot a 5 shot group over original zeroed group and post picture?

Thanks

I'd look for a refund and get a used 3-12 lrhs off the classifieds. Saw a nice one on the hide the other day for a fair price.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Formidilosus, a lot of us appreciate your input on the scopes, like everything else people can use the info or discard it. Thank you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went with a Talley 20moa rail and NIghtforce ultralight low rings. 6.3lbs all scoped up. Here’s a pic...

5c039a5b24fe8c953d957245801e03f0.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Im trying to decide if I want to do something like you did or try talley lightweight mediums for my setup, I have a Kimber Montana 308 and the same scope so I need to make a decision.

deadwolf

WKR
You’d likely be happy with either, I prefer a rail on everything now due to the fact that I know without a doubt it will be 100% bombproof as well as being able to run a canted rail allowing for more scope travel.

What is also in your favor with a rail is the fact that your scope mounting options are much greater than with just a set of rings mounted to the rifle. You can almost always get the rings exactly where you want them, with whatever scope you choose, thus allowing for perfect eye relief. Ideally you’d like to have the rings spread as far apart as possible as well.

Post up a picture when you get it mounted, we all like pictures of rifles : )

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You’d likely be happy with either, I prefer a rail on everything now due to the fact that I know without a doubt it will be 100% bombproof as well as being able to run a canted rail allowing for more scope travel.

What is also in your favor with a rail is the fact that your scope mounting options are much greater than with just a set of rings mounted to the rifle. You can almost always get the rings exactly where you want them, with whatever scope you choose, thus allowing for perfect eye relief. Ideally you’d like to have the rings spread as far apart as possible as well.

Post up a picture when you get it mounted, we all like pictures of rifles : )

I’m sort of leaning towards doing the exact same thing you did with your rifle, do you happen to know the weight of the rail and nightforce rings? I know I’m splitting hairs a bit here but I already feed trange about getting a 4lb rifle, changing the bolt handle to make it even lighter then throwing a 21oz scope on it I believe the Talley medium rings are like 2.5oz. I just want to make sure I end up well under 6.5lbs all said and done.

deadwolf

WKR
I am not certain the weight on those rings, but they are very light, and the Talley rail might weigh 2ozs. Might. I can guarantee with that rifle, handle, mounting system and scope combo, that you will be waaaay under that 6.5 lbs

Last edited: