Convince me on a new long-ish range hunting rifle

Kindo

WKR
Here’s what I’m looking at:

I’ve got some Cabela’s bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I’d prefer to purchase from what they have to offer.

Absolute max of $2k on the rifle (been looking into Christensen)

I like 7mm projectiles and already have a Montana in .280 Ack. I’ve been looking into the 28 Nosler.

I’d like to punch paper out to 800 or so and once I have confidence, maybe even animals out to 6-700.

I’m open to other options as well regarding rifle models, calibers etc.

Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Dosent canelas have that Seekins havoc rifle? I’d at least take a look at it. Christensen arms rifles are also really cool, I wouldn’t mind having a ridgeline myself.

Graves14

WKR
Cabelas and bowler recently announced a “m48 western” dealer exclusive that looks pretty sick.

FURMAN

WKR
I handled the Havak. The action was not smooth and had a large amount of cock on close which is unacceptable for a $2k rifle. The Christensen actions are not the greatest but they shoot very well. The Nosler rifles have very short mag boxes. If you do not reload this will not be an issue but with you wanting to take game long range your best bet is to reload if you do not already. If I had 2k to spend I would buy the Fierce Fury in a 7mm or 30 cal. My second choice would be a Ridgeline.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the replies so far. I should’ve noted that I do hand load. I do like the idea of the heavier options in the .30 cal but the 7mm tends to have a better BC. I’ve read both good and bad about the Christensen and Nosler rifles. I’ve got a buddy who’s currently all hot and heavy over the Christensen he’s getting so I think he’s a bit biased. I’m sure there are some better options outside of the big box store too, so I’m all ears if anyone has any suggestions in the same cost ballpark.

V65Magna

FNG
Outside of Cabellas option, might you consider the Savage Custom Shop? I have a few of them and they shoot great. Currently waiting on my 6.5-284 build on a 116 action but having a lot of fun in the meantime with my 308 & 204. They will build/chamber just about anything and my latest order came in at 1400, leaving $$ left over for Redding dies and more money toward glass. I know they are a bit clunky, but they shoot just as well or better than any custom rifle I own and you are not afraid to bang them around a bit. Just my .02

FURMAN

WKR
I would NEVER pay for a custom shop Savage. Everything they will do you can do for the same price using better components on your own. Working on Savage is very simple. The 7mm with larger bullets will usually look better on paper but if you intend to shoot elk the 30s are going to anchor one much faster. In the terrain most elk hang out in you are not going to want it to run far. I own CA and Fierce. They are not in the same class. The Fierce action alone set them apart. Since you do reload I could never recommend the short magazine box of the Nosler rifles. It just neuters magnum cartridges.

2five7

WKR
Have you looked at any of the X-bolt options? Many options to choose from, slick action, 60 degree bolt, never seen one that wouldn't shoot. The HC McMillan is a very nice rifle in that price range, 3.6" mag box, and 9 or 8 twist barrels in the 28, depending on manufacture date.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at the Fierce Fury.
I’ve got one in .300 winmag and it’s awesome. I’ve only shot out to a 1000, but dang it does it well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
The nosler is just a vanguard with a fancy stock, not impressed wityh the ones I've played with. I really like the fierce edge rifles.. (a little over your budget, but they flat shoot)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since you already have 7's I would run to the 30 cal lineup Christiansen. They have breaks so recoil will not be an option and since you reload you can run heavy bullets and really decide about ballistic difference between heavy 30's and 7's

The 28 nosler sounds great and I want one but I think if I were in your situation I would jump to maybe a 30 nosler as a 28 really isn't all that different than a 280 AI except on paper.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Since you already have 7's I would run to the 30 cal lineup Christiansen. They have breaks so recoil will not be an option and since you reload you can run heavy bullets and really decide about ballistic difference between heavy 30's and 7's

The 28 nosler sounds great and I want one but I think if I were in your situation I would jump to maybe a 30 nosler as a 28 really isn't all that different than a 280 AI except on paper.

That’s a good point, as I am a bit frustrated with the lack of heavy projectiles in the 7. While I do hand load, there is something to be said for availability of factory loads. If a guy is handloading for a 300 WM, how much is he lagging behind when compared to a 30 Nosler? I’ve done some reading and seem to find the same old answers stating “it’s less that a 200 FPS difference and you can’t ever find factory loads for the nosler while on a hunt” or “2-300 FPS faster and is gonna kill an elk 3x dead-er than a 300 WM”. I plan on taking this rifle on some hunts in AK and maybe even some other countries in the future and I do like the thought of being able to pick some up in a pinch. At the same time, I’m a sucker for wildcats and calibers different than my buddies!

2five7

WKR

I'm not familiar with the 280ai and what type of velocity it can achieve with the heavier 7mm bullets, the 28 will push a 180 to 3200+. How does that compare?

FURMAN

WKR
All else being equal the 30 Nosler will give 50-100fps more with a 215. Only you can decide if its worth it. The brass is very expensive and sometimes hard to find. The 300 has many options for brass. I was not sold on the 30 at first but It is growing on me. They are both easy to tune.