Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .308

Looking for a .308 in either Model 70 EW or a Tikka T3x SS. I don't see or read much about the Model 70 EW. In my area, there doesn't seem to be any of these Model 70s EW in stock, even online line it seems few stores/chains carry them. I know there's a huge following here for the Tikka T3x. Never owned a CRF before, but like the specs for the Model 70 EW. Can anyone who owned or cycled both detail the pluses or minuses of either one. Which one would you pick?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a mode 70ew in 30-06, I also have a tikka. The m70 is heavier than the tikka and while tikka makes a good rifle, they have never really turned me on the way they do for some folks. I prefer my m70 in every way, the action is incredibly smooth and the rifle is very accurate. I think mine is weighing about 8lb 2oz as it sits right now and I did upgrade the trigger with a timney.

I liked tikka rifles a lot back I. ~ 2010 when I could get them from sportsman’s warehouse for 399.00 but as the prices have gone up (and they are actually going up again very soon) I just don’t see them as the value they once were. That’s just my opinion though. They are great rifles just not my thing really.

My son has a Winchester Model 70 EW SS in 300 WSM. I really like that rifle a lot! It was simple to find an accurate reload for it and it shoots great.

The Montana Rifle Company X2 Montana Rifle Company >> X2 – EXTREME RIFLE Might be another one to consider getting. Best attributes of the Model 70 and Mauser 98 Actions all in one rifle. They use the old style Model 70 triggers which are fantastic also!

MHWASH

WKR
I have an EW in 300 and have sold a couple tikkas. There's nothing wrong with Tikka I'm just not a huge fan. #1 I hate detachable magazines. I like a 3 position safety that locks the bolt closed. Last year going through some brush I had a limb open the action and eject a round. Tikka's a great rifle, just not for me. Me son wanted a do all hunting rifle for his birthday, so we got him a Tikka 270.

I handled both before buying the Tikka. I *really* liked the EW, but at the time I was saving several hundred $$ going with the Tikka so that’s what I did. And I haven’t regretted it one bit. The Tikka is lighter and shoots great. The EW stock was nicer but I think the T3X stock is just fine and fits well.

Also, the T3X safety does lock the bolt down, so no worries there.

Definitely wouldn’t mind an M70 EW someday though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an EW in 300 and have sold a couple tikkas. There's nothing wrong with Tikka I'm just not a huge fan. #1 I hate detachable magazines. I like a 3 position safety that locks the bolt closed. Last year going through some brush I had a limb open the action and eject a round. Tikka's a great rifle, just not for me. Me son wanted a do all hunting rifle for his birthday, so we got him a Tikka 270.

My opinions about tikka are about th same as yours, I don’t hate them, I own one, I just never got the love affair with them that some guys do. I prefer kimbers to tikka if I’m going light weight and not all my guns need to be lightweight rifles which is a big part of the reason I got the m70ew, I wanted something just a bit heavier for certain uses. I’m also not a huge fan of detachable magazines on hunting rifles.

To each their own.

ChrisS

WKR
I just picked up a tikka t3x SS in .308 from Whittaker's for $570 shipped.

Haven't shot it yet, glass comes this week, but I couldn't resist at that price. Left some room in the budget for improvements.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just picked up a tikka t3x SS in .308 from Whittaker's for $570 shipped.

Haven't shot it yet, glass comes this week, but I couldn't resist at that price. Left some room in the budget for improvements.

It seems like the tikka price increase is here, went looking for one for my wife and they are up to 650.00 now. That’s the same price as the super lite from sportsman’s warehouse. I liked tikkas better before the secret was out and you could still get them for well under 500 dollars.

Fatcamp

WKR

For that to happen you would have to be walking around with a round in the chamber and the safety off. And the rifle slung? Those are bigger issues than a two position safety.

have a win mod 70 classic in 308 from the late 90's fiber stock/boss thinks its a varmint rifle i