CCI 250 Primer issues

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Been developing loads for a 338 Win Mag and using CCI 250 large rifle magnum.

2 weeks ago at the range, I had 2 misfires out of 30 something rounds. I was able to reload the round and they fired.

Today, I was back at the range, and I had 4 misfires out of about 25 rounds. 3 fired after rechambering, but one failed to fire at all. I tried several times. Had to pull that bullet when I got home.

I have been using CCI 41, 34, and 200 and have never had a misfire. The primers are seated flush and the misfires had good firing pin strikes.

Anyone ever have misfires with CCI 250.

Anyone use CCI 34 for belted cartridges? It is basically the same as the 250 but is made for mil spec 30 cal. I am considering trying it since I have them on hand.

This is my elk rifle and I don't want it going click when it needs to go boom.

BTW, with the muzzle break, this thing shoots like a 270
BigGnu.jpg

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
It's very possible that the headspace could a problem rather than problems with the primer. Also, primers should be seated several thousandths (around .003") deep for most rifles, if they aren't then you can have misfires like you described because on the first attempt to fire the primer moves forward a couple of thousandths until it bottoms out in the pocket and the second time it ignites.

Or it could be the firing pin spring....some Kimber Montanas had this problem in the past. Easy fix with a new, stiffer spring. Also could be old oil that is now thick grease slowing down the firing pin...fixable with a good cleaning of the bolt. What rifle is it?

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
can you measure base to neck length of a fired case and a sized case. far and away the most times I have seen fail to fire the case was over sized - in other words too short.

That would be an incredibly high failure rate for primers.

I’d look elsewhere, meaning rifle problems.

My old 700 25-06 had that happen a few years ago. Some reloads would go boom, about a 1/3 wouldn’t. Turns out the firing pin wasn’t protruding enough IIRC. What was strange is that it happened overnight. Quick trip to the gunsmith fixed the problem.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all.

I will do some measuring today, as well as bolt disassembly, inspection, and cleaning. There was an experienced gunsmith at the range, and he agreed that the primer strike was sufficient.

Some info that I probably should have posted:
Dakota Arms M97 Outfitter in 338 Win Mag
New unfired Remington Brass. I only have maybe 30 more unfired cases to go through before they are all chamber formed.

This is the one that would not fire
338 primer.jpg

elkguide

WKR
Seen this happen many times with CCI primers. They do seem to need a stronger strike. Every time that I have seen and experienced it, it was a firing pin issue. I still regularly use CCI primers.

I agree with the above info. Check firing pin protrusion and check headspace. Many times on a belted case new cases headspace can vary a bit especially with different manufactures of brass. CCI250 primers have worked well for me but I prefer Fed 215M.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Up to this point, I fired:
20 rounds Winchester factory 200 gr loads with no misfires.
44 rounds of hand loads using new unfired Remington brass. I had a total of 6 misfires. All but one misfire fired on the second try.
Before loading the Rem brass, I ran them through a sizing die to resize the neck only.

I measured some cases today with the Hornady measuring bushings.
Remington unfired cases measured 2.10 to the neck.
Both the fired Rem and Win brass measured an average 2.117 to the neck.

As for the firing pin, I am going to contact Dakota Arms to see about a manual or instructions for disassembling the bolt. I have taken bolts apart before, but this one is quite different.

rayporter

WKR
if I read this right your Remington brass measures 2.100 and fired in your chamber brass measures 2.117.[to the shoulder]

that is .017 difference. in other words your brass is too short for the chamber. it has nothing to do with the bolt or fireing pin or dirt.

when the pin hits the primer the case moves forward which takes the shock of the pin fall as it moves. this causes failure to fire.

take fired brass and back out the die to make sure you are just neck sizing the case and load some. see if they all fire. then measure them.

if I read this right your Remington brass measures 2.100 and fired in your chamber brass measures 2.117.[to the shoulder]

that is .017 difference. in other words your brass is too short for the chamber. it has nothing to do with the bolt or fireing pin or dirt.

when the pin hits the primer the case moves forward which takes the shock of the pin fall as it moves. this causes failure to fire.

take fired brass and back out the die to make sure you are just neck sizing the case and load some. see if they all fire. then measure them.

Wouldn't a measurement from the back of the case to the front of the belt prove/disprove this? Belted cases headspace off of the belt...right??

rayporter

WKR
personally I never set up mine to use the belt.

still the fact remains if the case was sized [ shoulder bumped] 17 thou [ belt or not] that is waaaaayyyyyy too much. case separations are in the future.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
These were new unfired brass. When I sized them before loading, I set the die to resize the neck only.

I went back to the Lee reloading manual an it shows a headspace dimension of 2.116.

Last edited:
Most SAMMI belted mag chambers are long and the shoulder to base length usually grows about .015-020 on the first firing.All factory brass is gonna be short unless the reamer is custom spec to the brass you will be using. Setting up your sizing die to just bump the shoulder about .002-.003 after the first firing is what I'd recommend.

Last edited:
I've had problems with CCI 250 primers failing to light. I think my issue was self induced. I would clean, size, clean and then prime my cases. I inadvertently left them in the plastic loading block overnight then loaded them the next day. I think they absorbed moisture from the atmosphere. Now if I have to leave them overnight, they go in a gallon ziploc bag with a small bag of desiccant (the "do not eat" bags that come with electronics. Either way, this solved my problem.

Also, you might try the FED215 primer. Its actually hotter than the CCI 250. The 215 is what I use in my 28 Nosler.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks all.

I will do some measuring today, as well as bolt disassembly, inspection, and cleaning. There was an experienced gunsmith at the range, and he agreed that the primer strike was sufficient.

Some info that I probably should have posted:
Dakota Arms M97 Outfitter in 338 Win Mag
New unfired Remington Brass. I only have maybe 30 more unfired cases to go through before they are all chamber formed.

This is the one that would not fire
View attachment 69765

That looks like a normal strike on the primer from what I can see, if it has only been chambered and "snapped on" once. If I experienced it, I would think it was a primer problem, and try a different lot # of the primer, or a different brand.

On Magnum Cal's and using, large Powder charges,.. I have ALWAYS been happy with, F215's and they actually, SHRUNK my .270 WSM's groups !
Only "Kiss", the shoulder when sizing, .002 to .003 MAXIMUM and look at any "problems" with your Firing Pin/ Bolt,.. as noted in the above "posts"!
PS; CCI Primers tend, to have thick "cups" and handle pressure well, BUT, you may have,.. a BAD, "batch" !