Gearing up for first PRS-style match

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We recently starting sponsoring some PRS-style matches around Montana and I have always wanted to give one a shot, so along with another Schnee's employee I signed up for the S3 Sniper challenge at the end of April. This left me with about 6 weeks to get a rifle, set it up, run up some ballistics charts and PRACTICE! I just finished Part 1 of the process, which you can read here:

My First Precision Rifle Match: Part 1 — Montana Sporting Journal

- Matt -

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Why a cantilever mount instead of rings?

Well, I have used good steel rings on all of my other builds. They always worked great, but I have heard some good things about these Aero mounts and really wanted to give them a try. Then I found a good deal on this mount and decided to try it. It works great! The only downside was mounting. Because of the clamp design, the scope will rotate during tightening, so you have to compensated for that when leveling.

Matt

And you leave an awful lot of ring spacing on the table...... And generally, those mounts are too high without a cheekriser. Just because I've 'heard good things', don't mean I AM going to rush out and buy something because some random conehead says it's good.. Different strokes......

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And you leave an awful lot of ring spacing on the table...... And generally, those mounts are too high without a cheekriser. Just because I've 'heard good things', don't mean I AM going to rush out and buy something because some random conehead says it's good.. Different strokes......

To each their own. I've put about 120rnds through it so far this past week, practicing off of barricades and other positions and this set-up is working out great so far. The cheek height fits me perfect, but could be a problem for others. I would recommend going with a set of high rings if using this same scope/rifle.

Matt

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Why you so mad bro?? Go shoot and have fun.

OP
Schnee's

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got part 2 of the process up last week here: My First Precision Rifle Match: Part 2 — Montana Sporting Journal

Shot the match over the weekend and it was a blast! I also met my goal of not coming in last place. I am not an "expert" shooter by any means and the field of competitors were no slouches. I was going up against sponsored professionals, current and retired military, SEALS, Special forces, Marine snipers, etc, etc. I felt that if I could beat anyone of these teams, it was a win for me and my partner. We finished 37/38 and I am pretty happy with it! I will have a write up with some pictures in the coming week on MSJ.

Matt