Barrett fieldcraft owners..

• Banned
OP
N
???

Full length bedded rifles are known to shoot same poi

Melvin Forbes is oft quoted in saying this.

Would like to corroborate with real world beta on this particular factory rifle

KurtR

WKR
So a 308 with 168 grain bullet is going to have the same poi as a 212 gain bullet ? i know my customs wont and they are full length hell going from the 140 amax to the 143 eldx was a few inches. Wouldnt the velocity being slower of faster change the point of aim regardless of bbl bedding? Also the first post you say point of aim then in the third you say point of impact i dont know if we are talking about two different things.

hwy1strat

WKR
I have never had or seen a rifle that had the same point of aim with different ammo. Hell, sometimes even different lots of the same ammo have different points of aim.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe it would be good to define different ammo.. Different manufacturers? Different weights? Different bullet shapes. My experience is no. That is why I find which works better and stick to the one exact brand, type and weight. You might luck out and some are the same, but that is not the rule. Too many variables between all of those items. Now I will state that at short yardages its is less of an issue, but taking a poke out past a couple hundred yards small variances count big.

following.... at face value I'm not sure why something like full length bedding (which the fieldcraft does have) would all of a sudden make a rifle shoot the same poa regardless of ammo. I can't wrap my head around an extra 16" of bedding making the poa stay the same? However I don't want to question or contradict Forbes either so Im more curious than argumentative on this one....

R H Clark

FNG
Maybe it would be good to define different ammo.. Different manufacturers? Different weights? Different bullet shapes. My experience is no. That is why I find which works better and stick to the one exact brand, type and weight. You might luck out and some are the same, but that is not the rule. Too many variables between all of those items. Now I will state that at short yardages its is less of an issue, but taking a poke out past a couple hundred yards small variances count big.

I think short range is the key phrase here. I wouldn't expect two different bullets of different weights fired at different velocity to impact the same over much distance at all. It might be an interesting and useful feature on one of Melvin's hunting rifles for short hunting range but I wouldn't look at it as a selling point.

The only like experience I have is with an early Forbes. It is one of the first dozen rifles produced and was likely put together by Melvin according to what he told me about working with Forbes helping them get started. It's a 270 and will shoot any factory load into aprox the same POI at 100 yards that I've tried. it is unlike most of my other rifles that might shoot two different brands of even the same grain loads 6" apart into separate groups. The Forbes isn't exact but basically I could hit an apple with a 130 grain load or a 150 grain load with any factory ammo at 100 yards. It might be useful for hunting but it's not a big deal since I would sight in specifically with any load anyway.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
ULA’s/NULA’s do have a tendency to have multiple types of ammo impact the same POA at 100 yards, and yes it does have to do with how it’s bedded.

I haven't tried on on the Fieldcraft's yet, having only shot one type of ammo per rifle for the most part. I will check in a few days.

4ester

WKR
There is no possible way a rifle will shoot different bullet weights to the same point of impact. Physically impossible, regardless of any super special bedding. Factory rounds have too many variables to even consider it.

Silly to even believe such fairy tales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R H Clark

FNG
There is no possible way a rifle will shoot different bullet weights to the same point of impact. Physically impossible, regardless of any super special bedding. Factory rounds have too many variables to even consider it.

Silly to even believe such fairy tales.

I wouldn't think so at long range, but as I said above they certainly will at 100 yards. It's not theory,I've shot them and proven it.

4ester

WKR
I wouldn't think so at long range, but as I said above they certainly will at 100 yards. It's not theory,I've shot them and proven it.

Buy a lottery ticket. Even at 100 yards that doesn’t work. Hell if I drop one grain of powder on my reloads my zero is not the same, and the factory rounds that you are shooting probably vary by 2-3 grains.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Mine does. One load shoots 2850 fps and I dial 3.5 mils at 600 yards, one load shoots 2735 fps and I dial 3.9 mils at 600 yards. The only difference is elevation d/t velocity differenc, windage is the same. At 100 yards at zero, they are less than 1/2" apart.

R H Clark

FNG
Buy a lottery ticket. Even at 100 yards that doesn’t work. Hell if I drop one grain of powder on my reloads my zero is not the same, and the factory rounds that you are shooting probably vary by 2-3 grains.

It's not just with factory loads and it's not exact but everything I've tried so far will shoot groups within an inch or less of each other at 100 yards. No need for a lottery ticket. I think it's fairly common with the NULA rifles and I didn't think it was too big a deal.

OP
N
I believe it was mark Twain who said "Never argue with a fool, They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

4ester

WKR
I believe it was mark Twain who said "Never argue with a fool, They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Truth. And I don’t care if you have a NULA rifle or a rifle put together by the best gunsmith in the world. It is impossible.

KurtR

WKR
Mine does. One load shoots 2850 fps and I dial 3.5 mils at 600 yards, one load shoots 2735 fps and I dial 3.9 mils at 600 yards. The only difference is elevation d/t velocity differenc, windage is the same. At 100 yards at zero, they are less than 1/2" apart.

Which it should be a half inch low with lower velocity. Then about 10 inches low at 600 your math all works. So you don't have the same poa or poi as your numbers show that.

hodgeman

WKR
While I'm not sure the intent of your question- my partner and I both have Fieldcrafts and both have several loads that shoot close enough for hunting purposes.

For instance, my partner's 6.5 will shoot 100gr Partitions hand loads exactly on center as his 143gr ELDX load, just 2" higher at 100yds.

While it's not exactly the same POI, it's predictable enough that he can use the same zero to to respectable distances and switch hit between loads. Mine does something similar with 129 ABLRs and 143 ELDX- same centerline wiht a slightly different elevation. It wouldn't work to 800 yards, but out to 300ish or so it it certainly close enough.

I wouldn't say that fully bedded rifles shoot different ammo to the "same point of aim", but I will say that there seems to be less variation between loads. Some are close enough to be interchangeable to practical ranges. There is something to your statement, but I would hesitate to make it a blanket statement.

Handloaders have been doing this sort of thing for years...tuning two or more loads to a single rifle. Having done that for several rifles- some fully bedded rifles are certainly easier to do that with.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR

So by your own admission, while claiming your rifles has the same POI, regardless of ammo used, they in fact do not.

So for the OP, and as has been stated previously, different ammo from the same rifle will not have the same POI. It is definitely possible that some MAY match up at 100 yrds, but that is not an true indication of what will actually happen downrange. Far too many variables to take into account : )