Factory Ammo Recommendations for .308 Fieldcraft / Chambering Issues

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have not shot my FC yet, but have had issues with both brand new Lapua and Nosler Custom brass chambering. The chamber is tighter than a virgin on prom night. I was able to get the Nosler Custom brass to chamber after running through the RCBS resizing die, but it is still very snug no matter how short I make the COAL. The Lapua shoulder is visibly different from the Nosler.....I can't even get the bolt all the way forward (much less down) with the Lapua. It's like its not even 308 win brass.....

Given the above I want to order a couple of boxes of factory for the first 40 rounds, to see if it feels any better chambering than the Nosler. If it doesn't then I will resume handloading with the Nosler Custom. If it does then I will order some of that manufacturers brass to make my loads with.

Anyone out there with a FC 308 have recommendations on factory hunting ammo that chambers smoothly? Also, have you noticed that the bolt seems difficult to close? Wondering if this is a Fieldcraft thing, a my lucky day thing, or user error.....

deadwolf

WKR
I have a Fieldcraft in 308 and did all my break in and shooting so far with factory Hornady 175 ELDX and 168 ELDM, with no chambering or extraction issues whatsoever. I do have a box of Lapua brass here ready to load with some more 175 ELDx's, I hope I don't run into the same issue you've experienced. If the Lapua won't work for you though and you want quality brass, you should check into Alpha Munitions brass.

KurtR

WKR
Does it chamber a piece of un loaded brass. If not I would be doing some serious checking before shooting

This sounds like an undersized chamber/ headspace issue. Based on what you have described I recommend buying or borrowing a go gage and seeing if it chambers. I think we already know what the results would be if you tried a no go gage. Anyhow, if the go gage will not chamber, you should contact Barrett and not shoot the gun until they reply. Alternatively, if you have a gunsmith you trust, they should be able to check and adjust the headspace quite easily.

If there is any resistance with a loaded factory round I would not shoot the gun, because right now you can't say where the interference is. If there is insufficient space for the case neck to expand and allow the bullet to travel your best case scenario would be blowing a primer, worst case you might lose your trigger finger/eye/life.

Good luck and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what tim.gruber said. I wouldn't pull the trigger on live ammo until I checked headspace with go/no-go gauges.

If it won't chamber new factory brass from Nosler or Lapua thats an immediate red flag to me.

Can you elaborate on your comment about the Nosler being tight no matter how short you make the COAL? Are you talking loaded rounds or just resized brass? How much did you have to bump the shoulder to get it to chamber?

R H Clark

FNG
Full length size your new brass and then check it to see how well it chambers. It has a match grade chamber and the new brass could be a bit off.

deadwolf

WKR
Doc, when I got home from work this am I ran brand new Lapua brass through my .308 Fieldcraft with no issues. Tried new Hornady, once fired Hornady, once fired Winchester brass (from a different rifle) and all worked perfectly as well. I don’t believe even with a match grade chamber you should have any issues with it being too tight for brand new brass. I suspect something else is going on with either your reloads or the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok, so I went to the local store this morning as soon as they opened and picked up a box of Hornady ELDX 178 and a box of Federal Blue and Grey 180 gr soft points. Both of those chambered and ejected fine. The Hornady are 2.797 out of the box and the Federal are 2.694.

I then made dummy rounds with the Lapua brass as follows:

180gr A-Frame 2.722
180 gr Scirocco 2.789
180 gr Accubond 2.782

All chambered and ejected very smoothly in the Lapua brass.

The only thing I can figure is that my dummy rounds were too long around the 2.8 mark. I had started out doing the magic marker bullet to see how far it was to the lands and had worked my way down from there......since it has a 3 inch magazine I thought longer than 2.810 COAL was not an issue, but I guess I was wrong.

Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the rifle (I don't think).....had I started with factory rounds as my baseline I prob never would have had this "issue". I appreciate everyone's posts, and am excited to load up some rounds this week and shoot this thing next weekend.

I had no idea from your original post that you had bullets seated in the brass that wouldn't chamber, glad to hear things are fitting nicely now. Enjoy your new toy.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I had no idea from your original post that you had bullets seated in the brass that wouldn't chamber, glad to hear things are fitting nicely now. Enjoy your new toy.

Ditto. Were you seeing and marks on the bullets from jamming them into the throat?

Do you have one of the bullet comparators by Hornady (or similar) that measures from ogive of bullet? Better way to measure accurately and consistently.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Ditto. Were you seeing and marks on the bullets from jamming them into the throat?

Do you have one of the bullet comparators by Hornady (or similar) that measures from ogive of bullet? Better way to measure accurately and consistently.

I was not seeing marks on the bullets. Do not have a comparator but sounds like I should get one.

Just got back from the range. Here were the group sizes @ 100 yards from worst to best:

Swift Scirocco 180 on 40.5 gr of IMR4064 - 3.7 in
(Factory) Hornady 178 ELDX - 2.45 in
(Factory) Federal 180 gr SP - 2.2 in
Swift AFrame 180 on 40.5 gr of IMR4064 - 1.96 in
Nosler Accubond 180 on 39 gr of IMR 4064 - 1.1 in

Going to work up a load for the 180 AB with the IMR4064 and also going to order some IMR4895 as well and see how that does. May have to try 165 ABs as well...

Was very pleasant to shoot....I am really liking this rifle now....can't wait to settle on a load and start practicing at 300

deadwolf

WKR
Out of curiosity, were you shooting with a lead sled or just using another rest of some sort?

FURMAN

WKR
You definitely should not be reloading without a bullet comparator or some reliable method to check bullet seating depth. Fingers can not be replaced.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of curiosity, were you shooting with a lead sled or just using another rest of some sort?

Harris 6-9" in the front

Protektor bag in the rear

deadwolf

WKR
Harris 6-9" in the front

Protektor bag in the rear

I would suggest shooting from a sled to get a better indication of actual grouping. I feel like you should be seeing a lot tighter groups than what you’ve reported. From a sled the 178 eldx shot consistently under .60 for me out of the Fieldcraft.

I would suggest shooting from a sled to get a better indication of actual grouping. I feel like you should be seeing a lot tighter groups than what you’ve reported. From a sled the 178 eldx shot consistently under .60 for me out of the Fieldcraft.

A bipod and rear bag is plenty good! You don't need a sled. They don't allow for good cheek weld either. Sounds like your rifle just needs a little bit of tuning and you will be good to go.

deadwolf

WKR

A bipod and rear bag is plenty good! You don't need a sled. They don't allow for good cheek weld either. Sounds like your rifle just needs a little bit of tuning and you will be good to go.

I’ll agree lots of shooters will be able to obtain good results shooting with a bipod and rear bag. But given the fact that I own the same rifle, and have shot the same factory ammo mentioned by the OP with much better groups (including those shot off my pack with a rear bag) I made the suggestion to use the sled to try and take some possible human error out of the equation. He can do what he likes with the suggestion.

R H Clark

FNG
I’ll agree lots of shooters will be able to obtain good results shooting with a bipod and rear bag. But given the fact that I own the same rifle, and have shot the same factory ammo mentioned by the OP with much better groups (including those shot off my pack with a rear bag) I made the suggestion to use the sled to try and take some possible human error out of the equation. He can do what he likes with the suggestion.

I would have expected better results too. Is it possible that the bipod is causing the stock to contact the barrel?

hodgeman

WKR
I would have expected better results too. Is it possible that the bipod is causing the stock to contact the barrel?

The rifle is full length bedded...it already contacts the barrel. I'd agree with a previous poster that the rifle should be shooting better than that and I'd likely try a sled as well. I also realize that light rifles can be tricky to shoot well.