Sako conversion

brocksw

WKR
Found a good deal on a Sako M995 in 270. I had the idea of converting it into a 6.5x55 AI. Technically the bolt face should work. .473 is in the rifle and the Suede uses a .480....from what I've research it shouldn't be a big deal. However, I am concerned that Sako extractor will require me to turn down the rims.... Which I don't want to have to do.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Found a good deal on a Sako M995 in 270. I had the idea of converting it into a 6.5x55 AI. Technically the bolt face should work. .473 is in the rifle and the Suede uses a .480....from what I've research it shouldn't be a big deal. However, I am concerned that Sako extractor will require me to turn down the rims.... Which I don't want to have to do.

Anyone have any insight on this?

I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m extremely interested in building a 6.5x55 AI and I’d love to hear the specs of your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
It should work fine with the factory extractor. I don't see any clearance issues and there is plenty of throw in the extractor to snap over a slightly larger case head.

Jeremy

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m extremely interested in building a 6.5x55 AI and I’d love to hear the specs of your build!

I was pretty set on a Tikka CTR in a Creedmoor before I found this gun. I've always had somewhat of an affinity for Sako rifles. Purely emotional and I have no idea why. I did buy a bergara this year and havent been impressed thus far...thats the 2nd time I've strayed from tikka/Sako, and the 2nd time I've been disappointed.

As for the build.

I'm leaning towards a bartlein barrel in a 3b or 4 Contour...maybe even 1 notch heavier depending on stock. Probably cut it down to 24", perhaps even 22'.

Right now I'm leaning towards a McMillan A3 adjustable, strictly because I'd like this to be a reasonably light rifle to carry, say under 10 lbs without scope/bipod. The A3 seems like one of the lighter choice with an adjustable cheek. I will say that the KRG whiskey 3 chassis is very tempting, but I think my final rifle only weight would be considerably heavier with that chassis in a folder (4.1 lbs just for the chassis) and I simply have no desire to have a rifle without scope that weighs over 10 lbs in that caliber, even though I like the idea of a folding stock.

There is also a side if me that wants to turn this into a 7 lb carry rifle with a McMillan lightweight hunter stock with a #3 barrel. More mountain friendly. I've never owned a "heavy rifle" before. However, I have a Finnlight in a 7 mag and that fits that role quite nicely. I probably don't need 2 for the same purpose. Even if this 6.5 ackley weighed 9.5 lbs (rifle only) all said and done, I'd still have no problem throwing a nightforce on it and calling it my goat/mule deer rifle here in NoDak and other non-mountain hunts.

If someone has a McMillan A5/A3 adjustable, what options did you go with? What was your stock weight when it was said and done?

Awesome!!! I’ve been considering building one. I’ve got an old Mauser .270 action but I’ve been wanting to build one on a tikka as I can’t get the stock or trigger I want for the old Mauser without breaking the bank.

I defiantly want mine to be sub 10lbs scoped. Mine will be a hunting/ competition rifle for hunting class. I’m thinking of a AG composites Alpine Hunter Stock (pictured below) with either a Bartlein or Proof Research Sendero light barrel in 24 inches.

544cf5b1942572bf2cc0620791f498a8.jpg

12881a9eeba62f68a548893412c595c8.jpg

I’m torn thought because I love the Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor 24”! I have a Howa comp rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and I load for it so there would be no need to purchase custom dies and new brass :/
Plus it’d would cost significantly less!!

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
From what I can tell, It looks like the A3 with adjustable cheek will weight just as much as the whiskey 3 folder, or very close to it. I'm gonna have to call mcmillan and see what they say for weight.

I like that folding stock on the whiskey... But that's about the only thing I like, usually a chassis just doesnt do it for me.

From what I know, I'm limited to mcmillan and krg for stocks that will accept the M995 action.

McMillan I have to buy the 995 bottom metal and I use factory mags.
KRG I can use Aics mags.

Those chassis are still ugly...

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Anyone run a bartlein #3 in a McMillan tactical style stock? Have pics?

Debating between a lightly fluted #3 or a little more heavily fluted #3b in a standard McMillan A3. The goal is about 10 lbs with a 30 oz scope and no mag.

I owned a Sako 995 at one point. There was a major issue at the time with getting aftermarket stocks to fit it due to the bottom metal being molding into the stock. Options were highly limited even from McMillan and of course required that custom bottom metal. Has that changed?

Only other issue I can think of is that the 995's long actions were H&H length and a 6.5 would have a lot of extra space in the mags. Also factory mags were rare and expensive, which was annoying.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I owned a Sako 995 at one point. There was a major issue at the time with getting aftermarket stocks to fit it due to the bottom metal being molding into the stock. Options were highly limited even from McMillan and of course required that custom bottom metal. Has that changed?

Only other issue I can think of is that the 995's long actions were H&H length and a 6.5 would have a lot of extra space in the mags. Also factory mags were rare and expensive, which was annoying.
I believe the only options are McMillan A5 and A3 and a KRG whiskey 3.

McMillan makes a bottom metal to accept factory mags. Krg uses AICS.

I believe theres a couple smaller smiths/machinists around the country that will make bottom metals for the M995