Bear Pistol Opinions

matman

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Glock 20, love the weight, capacity, and how well I shoot it. This is my dedicated western hunting/bear gun. If you like glocks and shoot them well I would recommend you shoot a G20. Great barrel length for accuracy and mobility, but not to a point it becomes cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 5" Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt stuffed with 325 gr. LBTs

Richard

MattB

WKR
The Lehigh and Underwood penetrators would be a good option...along with the hardcast.

Pretty important to run a couple hundred rounds through your weapon as a function check.

For example....some of the wide meplat hardcast bullets don't feed well in a semi auto. There have been cases of the 329's cylinders seizing due to bullet creep. And then the new revolvers with the hammer lock can vibrate and lock the hammer at crunch time.

^ none good.

A bear charge is the wrong time to be practicing a malfunction drill.

If you are being attacked by a bear AND your cylinder locks for any reason, the guy upstairs wants you dead.

Beendare

WKR
If you are being attacked by a bear AND your cylinder locks for any reason, the guy upstairs wants you dead.

Or you didn't function test your weapon.....more of a Darwin thing, IMO

Remind me to tell you my 'Last day guiding" story next time we go shoot fish.....and insight into the worse than avg hunters.

EDIT; Example, Guys shooting the SW 329PD's should check their owners manual....it states there have been problems with the cylinder seizing if the bullets aren't crimped better than normal....worth noting.

Guys shooting the new pistols with the hammer locks [supposedly a safety feature] need to function check as there has been problems reported with those vibrating and locking the hammer while in use.

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
Am in process of experimenting right now with Glock G40 (basically long slide G20) with 6" barrel. Plan on attaching a compact 200 lumen light (Inforce APLc) for potential night time issues and same Ameriglo Tritium sights I have on my other pistols so I have the same familiar sights (has big orange front sight) and they'll automatically glow at night if need be. A trim, lightweight kydex paddle holster shaped for the G40 and that APLc light let's the pistol be easily and quickly transferrred from pack belt to pants when pack comes off. Appropriate springs for stout loads of course.

Will start work soon with the 200g hardcast flatnose DoubleTap (DT) bullet because DoubleTap specifically designed that bullet for the 10mm auto and the ogive has a slightly different shape than most similar hardcast bullets to help feed in semi-autos, although I've shot quite a few 200g Beartooth hardcast through my MP .40SW with no issue. Will be alternately loading stout loads of this (have acquaintances who have worked way harder and more carefully than I ever would for a pistol load [and I do precision long range shooting obsessing over details some reloaders probably never heard about] and have come up with a load with Blue Dot and CCI 350 and KKM barrels, etc., etc., that blows the sox off of any other 10mm load I've ever seen...but have to do my own testing in this gun with my components, of course. Have many pounds of Hodgdon Longshot so will work with that first.) and 200g XTPs, both loaded in the DT nickel plated brass to make it more obvious that it's woods loads.

DT, of course, has it's own ammo using their 200g 10mm bullet at 1350fps out of a six inch barrel and I've seen where that's verified--pretty stout. These hot loads are producing more energy than loads my acquaintances shot of of 3" barreled .44 mags and with a lot more capacity in a G40--16 rounds. Makes you think...

MattB

WKR
I personally don't place any value in high magazine capacity for a self defense gun for bears. From what I have read, the majority of bear attacks where guns are employed result in 1-2 shots fired. Conversely, I believe I have read it one case where magazine capacity was beneficial....and the guy also shot himself in the process.

jmden

WKR
Where there's griz, there's can be pax of wolves...etc. Bears are far from the only thing I'm considering when considering a woods gun. I'd rather have 16 effective rounds than 5, or 4 in the case of the large bore revolvers, with hammer down on empty cylinder.

I was in the same boat. I went with the Glock 20 gen4 and using the 220gr buffalo bore hardcast low recoil and low flash ammo rather than the max SAAMI spec outdoorsman. I figured if a grizzly can be stopped with 9mm hardcast at 360 ft*lbs, then 10mm with 500 ft*lbs and accurate should be adequate enough. This way I can keep my Glock stock and avoid all of the problems with running the super HOT loads through them (barrel and spring upgrades).

eamyrick

WKR
I am by no means a bear killing expert but carry a gun for a living and train folks to do so. One of the biggest issues I’ve seen with “bear” guns is people can’t shoot them well/access them in a hurry. For example, in a stressful situation, unless I have tons of practice shooting a single action, in would be a major hinderance. The stats also show that you are more likely to run into a meth head at your truck or while picking up groceries in town. Based on all of those factors when I’m in bear country, primarily while fly fishing, I carry a Ruger GP100 .357 with Buffalo Bore hard nose gas check. I had a custom pancake holster made that I can conceal under a t-shirt. I shoot the pistol well and I can train with .38 or regular .357 rounds. There is also not the issue of slide malfunction on auto due to contact shots/slide out of battery.

EastMT

WKR
Here is a test by rangehot.com

daa6781f255c569abd83f422676b3303.jpg

2e7ceb7110fd7a743ac0718827bb3a5c.jpg

L to R- DT 200gr hardcast, 230 gr Equalizer, DT 180 CE, 125 gr Tac XP HP,

I think the take away is bullet selection is most important in any caliber. Definitely not as powerful as 44 mag, but it’s what I carry, G20.

wyodan

WKR
I am by no means a bear killing expert but carry a gun for a living and train folks to do so. One of the biggest issues I’ve seen with “bear” guns is people can’t shoot them well/access them in a hurry. For example, in a stressful situation, unless I have tons of practice shooting a single action, in would be a major hinderance. The stats also show that you are more likely to run into a meth head at your truck or while picking up groceries in town. Based on all of those factors when I’m in bear country, primarily while fly fishing, I carry a Ruger GP100 .357 with Buffalo Bore hard nose gas check. I had a custom pancake holster made that I can conceal under a t-shirt. I shoot the pistol well and I can train with .38 or regular .357 rounds. There is also not the issue of slide malfunction on auto due to contact shots/slide out of battery.

I carry the same thing for my bear gun. I really like the Ruger.

jmden

WKR
Been doing some testing with Glock G40 MOS 6" barrel.

Swapped for a KKM 6" barrel. Put in Jentra guide rod that runs Wolff springs and running a 24 lb spring--strongest Wolff makes and brass is still getting flung 5 yds.

Working with Sig brass at the moment but have some nickel plated DT brass on the way. Bullets: working with 200g XTP at the moment and Beartooth Bullets 200g 10mm hardcast as well (while waiting for 200g DT). Using Hodgdon Longshot as I've got quite a bit of it as it's a good 10mm powder, as well as for .40SW and 9mm, I've found. CCI 350 large pistol primers.

Pretty impressive performance so far, I have to say, I've worked up in mid-60s temps such that both the 200g XTP and 200g Beartooth hardcast are in the upper 1375 fps range or just a bit more, depending on the round. If you do this, it's on you to work up slowly and know what you are doing--I'm using KKM barrel, not Glock, and heavy recoil spring, mind you. Sixteen rounds in your pistol pushing 860-890 ft. lbs. a round is not too shabby and this thing is accurate--helps to have that long slide.

Just by way of comparison, several years ago I worked up a load with a 6" barreled SW .357. I was using well known data from the owner of Beartooth Bullets who had worked up a load with his 185g hardcast bullet over 16g of H110 for a MV of right around 1360 fps. This load is said to have ventilated many an elk all the way through over the years by a number of folks. It was right about that velocity that I felt was max as well in that revolver. That is a stiff load and just about the stiffest .357 load I've seen. I think I've seen one load that claimed more energy. 185g at 1360 fps is still 100 ft. lbs. (760) less than these 10mm loads I was working with today, if that says anything, with a bullet of slightly larger diameter. If you can shoot accurately and quickly, it's gonna be hard to beat that 6" barreled 10mm with a good match barrel. Like I think I said earlier in this thread, some acquaintences did some testing and realized that 3" barreled .44s were producing less energy than their hot 10mm loads. I'll keep working/testing this and the new DT bullets/brass when they get in and report back. Plan is to stagger 200g XTPs and 200g DT hardcast gaschecks in the mag for woods carry.

Have a 'lighter' load of 180g Montana Gold target bullets over 8.5g Longshot at 1.25" OAL that runs about 1300 fps that I plan on using in a comp or two to try to get better used to this pistol under a little bit of pressure. Should be fun!

jmden

WKR
Just had a chance to do some more measuring/loading. The brass from the stoutest of the loads shot yesterday had no measureable primer pocket or casehead expansion over new brass. Fired dimensions were same as much less stoutly loaded brass. Sizing felt the same as much less stoutly loaded brass, although there's a great deal of leverage in a single stage press for a tiny 10mm piece of brass... Seating a new primer in the sized previously stoutly loaded brass felt quite tight. Sized lengths hover very close to where new is. I was a little surprized, frankly. I thought I'd see some primer pocket expansion at least, but no. And those are stout loads. Have no desire to go any higher in pressure, but probably could.

howl

WKR
Are these bears brown or black? If black, .44 with 240gr XTP if you can shoot. If brown, bear spray or magnum rifle.

Jardo

WKR
For me, I chose the ruger redhawk in 44 Mag. I shoot 300 grain hornady xtps hand loaded hot. I chose this combo for the following. Not saying it's right for everyone, just right for me.

No ftf, fte, or stovepipes on a revolver. Ever

44 mag is powerful but somewhat manageable recoil wise.

My ruger is more accurate than my glocks.

Normally I can find 44 mag on the shelf if I fall behind on reloading. Not always so with the 454 casul and other less popular rounds including 10mm.

I'll probably get flamed here but that's fine. My opinion is just one of many. Bottom line for me is I just feel a revolver is more reliable. Perception is reality and confidence in your weapon has to be a consideration if a charging bear is a possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For me, I chose the ruger redhawk in 44 Mag. I shoot 300 grain hornady xtps hand loaded hot. I chose this combo for the following. Not saying it's right for everyone, just right for me.

No ftf, fte, or stovepipes on a revolver. Ever

44 mag is powerful but somewhat manageable recoil wise.

My ruger is more accurate than my glocks.

Normally I can find 44 mag on the shelf if I fall behind on reloading. Not always so with the 454 casul and other less popular rounds including 10mm.

I'll probably get flamed here but that's fine. My opinion is just one of many. Bottom line for me is I just feel a revolver is more reliable. Perception is reality and confidence in your weapon has to be a consideration if a charging bear is a possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short stroking is a common problem with revolvers while under distress.