Do you shoot different bullets for practice?

UtahJimmy

WKR
For those of you that handload premium hunting bullets, do you load cheaper bullets for practice?

My gun likes the 165 gr Nosler Partitions (g1 = .410) but I'm looking for a more economical solution to practice with. I've turned up the Sierra SBT (g1 = .404) at about half the price and the Hornady Interlocks (g1 = .435) for a third. I would think as long as I can get the same pressure/MV the drop should be similar, but the POI may change a little.

For trigger time and improving my technique, this seams logical...

Gorp2007

WKR
Yes. I'm by no means a long range shooting expert, but I've got loads for my 30-06 with 168-gr TTSX ($0.70/bullet) and 168-gr Hornady Match ($0.32/bullet) that have a POI within an inch at 200 yards. I'm not a good enough shot for that difference to outweigh the fact that I'll shoot more using the cheaper bullets. If I was clover-leafing my 5-shot groups at 200 and practicing out at 800, I can see where I'd want to practice like I play, but I'm not there yet. When I'm practicing from field positions, you'd be hard pressed to tell one 200-yard group from the other.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
i shoot the same load that i hunt with.. to me it doesnt make sense to change a bullet or powder that changes all of your grouping, elevation and windage corrections. if your worried about cost use a .223 or something cheaper to practice with. I guess i just enjoy using my recipe that works and don't want to add to the confusion of things by loading practice rounds and hunting rounds

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I practice with the same loads I hunt with. Is cost is higher, yes, but the data collected is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a hunting and target load, which doesn't mean I don't shoot my hunting loads for target work, I routinely shoot them to continue collecting/refining/verifying data. But if I'm going to plink or let folks hammer on steel from my gun I shoot other bullets.

TauPhi111

WKR
Yes. I'm by no means a long range shooting expert, but I've got loads for my 30-06 with 168-gr TTSX ($0.70/bullet) and 168-gr Hornady Match ($0.32/bullet) that have a POI within an inch at 200 yards. I'm not a good enough shot for that difference to outweigh the fact that I'll shoot more using the cheaper bullets. If I was clover-leafing my 5-shot groups at 200 and practicing out at 800, I can see where I'd want to practice like I play, but I'm not there yet. When I'm practicing from field positions, you'd be hard pressed to tell one 200-yard group from the other.

I do this too but I use SMK's. BC is about the same and POI is pretty much the same as far as I've shot them

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never use different bullets for practicing. I only shoot Nosler bullets. I don't pay more than about $20/50 for Partitions, so it's not expensive.

I never use different bullets for practicing. I only shoot Nosler bullets. I don't pay more than about $20/50 for Partitions, so it's not expensive.
I AGREE with, N2TRKYS, ^^^ STAY with, ONE,.. Bullet !
I tried, "working up" loads, shooting and TESTING, Nosler 140 grain, Bal Tips vs 140 AccuBonds, in my .270 WSM, both loads with, same powder charge, primers, COAL, etc. and the Bal Tip's, printed nice groups but, about a 1/4 inch left of, the AccuBonds at, 100 yards,.. close but NO, cigar! The Bal Tip's, BC is .456 and Accu is .496 and bullet length is, different!
This 1/4 inch difference, in POI shift, amounts to, a LOT at, 500, 600, 700 yards when practicing at, the steel gong.
Choose ONE, "Killer" Bullet, work up a good Load then, buy your CHOSEN Bullets on sale, a couple Hundred at a time and don't look back! This matter, is too important if you want long range,.. accuracy!

gbflyer

WKR
You don’t have to shoot the expensive bullets full time. Get some good data for them then practice with the less expensive stuff. Set your gun up for your hunting load before you go, verify, and you’re all set. Heck, you might even find something you like better.

I shoot my 6.5CM with 140 Nosler CC for practice. I can hit the same 10” gong at 600 yards with my 140 Partition hunting load without changing a thing on the scope. That’s good enough for me.

I practice with the same loads I hunt with. Is cost is higher, yes, but the data collected is worth it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with, this ^^^ The cost, difference is a pittance compared to what, a Hunt costs !
$10- $12.00 per Hundred, to shoot PREMIUM Bullets, is nothing in, the scheme of things !
6 years of applying for Arizona Rifle Elk X $160.00 a year + Tag at $650.00 + Trip cost = a couple of Grand, Bullets,.. ARE CHEAP! But hey, we are, "old school", what do we know,.. LOL !

I do shoot, "other bullets" for "playing around" and Fouling my Barrel, tho !
I have a sweet load for, my .270 WSM, the 135 grain Sierra BTHP, that, I play with,.. for plinking rocks/ Coyotes, etc.
It just happens, to group "with" my Hunting Bullet at, 200 yards,.. lucky for me!
But my Scope is, "Dialed" for,.. ONE,.. Load !

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I do. For 30-06 hunting I use 168 ttsx, practice is 165 SST. For .308 it's 150 accubonds for hunting, and 150 SST for practice. Up here in the great white north, we pay more than a buck a bullet for the good ones, and less than half that for the not so good ones.

Gorp2007

WKR
If the OP could provide his intended hunting ranges, that would also help. I agree that swapping out bullets will have greater effects at longer ranges, so if he's trying to get dialed in on hunting at 800 yards then he should just use his hunting bullets. But if he's just trying to practice hitting steel offhand at 150, it's unlikely to matter one way or another.

Depends on how much you plan on shooting your hunting rifle.

I usually get 4-5 years out of a rifle barrel on a hunting rifle or roughly 2500 rounds (depends a ton on caliber, load, etc)
I shoot roughly 500 rounds practical shooting through a rifle in the summer with generic bullets getting ready for fall hunting.
Cost difference is roughly $1000 extra to shoot premium bullets vs generic that matches BC and weight over life of the rifle.

Majority of people myself included cant shoot good enough to notice differences between the two even out to 600+yds.
Premium bullets run roughly .70/round generics can be had for .30 easily and less if you buy 1000 bullets at a time.
I do not see the point in throwing that money away when all I am doing is getting used to the rifle...

If you are only talking 50-100 rounds a year then probably doesn't make much of a difference...go ahead and shoot premium.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
If the OP could provide his intended hunting ranges, that would also help. I agree that swapping out bullets will have greater effects at longer ranges, so if he's trying to get dialed in on hunting at 800 yards then he should just use his hunting bullets. But if he's just trying to practice hitting steel offhand at 150, it's unlikely to matter one way or another.
I'd like to get comfortable hunting up to 600. I can shoot paper out to 300 and steel out to 850 at my local ranges. Also can head out to the desert for farther practice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've shot Sierra Gamekings for practice and switched to the same weight Partitions for a hunt with minimal issues in an 06.Another option is to watch Shooters Pro Shop for Partition 2nds (cosmetic blemishes) and stock up when they have your bullet at a savings.

Dusty2426

WKR
I've shot Sierra Gamekings for practice and switched to the same weight Partitions for a hunt with minimal issues in an 06.Another option is to watch Shooters Pro Shop for Partition 2nds (cosmetic blemishes) and stock up when they have your bullet at a savings.

X2 on shooters pro shop. I stock
up when the bullets I need hit the sale I have seen zero issues with cosmetic blemish bullets.

Last edited: