Short Action Cartridge in a Long Action?

Brendan

WKR
So, let's hear it. What would be the disadvantages? I know weight, and longer bolt throw.

I have a Remington 700 Long Action that I'd like to use for a project in the future (Was my Dad's, so this is not a "Sell it and buy a Short Action" scenario).

I already have: 300 Win Mag, 26" bbl, brake (9lb), Kimber Adirondack .308 (6lb), but nothing smaller until I get to .22LR

So, really thinking something like a 6.5 creed or a 6mm creed coming in around 7.5-8lbs scoped with a 22" barrel and no brake would fill the void well for a lighter recoil but capable round. Don't need the extra power & recoil of bigger rounds, and am not looking for a "barrel burner", but 6.5x284 is also in consideration.

Thoughts?

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the 7mm WSM. Check out its ballistics and flatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Should have clarified - I'm not really looking at 7mm and probably not 270. Too close to my .308 and 300 WM. WSM cartridges are probably overkill for what I'm looking for too, previously had a .270 WSM and a 7mm STW.

I think the .243 - .264 range is probably the sweet spot for me.

BluMtn

WKR
I guess the weight difference between a long and short action was never an issue with me. My rifles weight alot anyhow, so a few more ounces is not going to make or break me. if I was looking at a sheep hunt then I might look light weight, but other than that I build them for their intended purpose. 26"-30" barrels and big scopes. As far as using a short action case in a long action it gives you the advantage of using longer bullets. The one thing that you will need to watch is maybe a feeding issue out of the magazine. Other than that I see no problems. It was done for a lot of years before short actions became really popular.

rayporter

WKR
once I built a 6 BR on a 700 LA. it shot very well and the guy I sold it to Is still blasting p dogs with it.

use what ya got and don't worry.
ps. go with the bigger 6.5.

EastMT

WKR
It’s my understanding that all the tikka rifles are made that way. All one length no matter the caliber. Seems to work for them

TauPhi111

WKR
A few oz of extra weight, a little extra length and a little longer bolt throw are really the only disadvantages. I built a 260 AI on a long action to utilize one major advantage of using a short action cartridge on a long action...you can use really long, heavey for caliber, high BC bullets in your gun and not have to seat them really deep. The gun I built is a long range gun, and I shoot the Cutting Edge MTH bullets with it, which are very long for weight, but I can seat them long where they should be and they feed in my gun out of a 30-06 length mag. People building custom 284 Winchesters very often use a long action for this advantage as well. If you want to build a 6.5-284 I'd say you're not going to go wrong using your long action because you'll want to seat bullets long. Just be sure that if you use the really long monolithic bullets that your barrel has the appropriate twist.

However, if you don't handload and only shoot factory, I'd use that available action length and run a 30-06 length cartridge. Maybe a 6.5-06 or 264 Win Mag if you are sticking to a 6.5mm. You might also consider the 7x57 family of cartridges. Theyre longer than the standard short action 308 family and may get hung up in a short action, but not as long as the 30-06 family. 6.5x55 Swede (or the AI version) might be your ticket.

It really comes down to what type of horse you want in your stable but it seems to me you are looking for something maybe a little lighter but still good for medium sized game with the possibility of varmints. With that said, I would suggest the 6mm and the 257 Roberts. The Bob is usually a long action but can be run in a shortaction platform. To me it fills the void and adds a little nostalgia as well. The 6mm is just the mute sister to the 243... that is until you shoot it and can ring a little more velocity and distance out of it. The long action would allow for heavier bullets and to seat them a little longer. As mentioned before the 6.5x284 would work well too but that band wagon is getting pretty full.

codym

WKR
I think with the LA I would go 6.5 x 284 or 6.5-06 or 25-06. Im having a 6.5 creed put together on a SA but I think my next rifle will be a 243 or 6 creed and I will stick with a SA. If I had the LA to play with like you I would take advantage of it and load the 6.5 bullets in the longer cases or the lowly 25-06. I have never owned the a 25-06 as it had this stigma of being a lady/kid gun around here but the more I read about it the more I realize it is a seriously badass cartirdge. People use to say the same thing about the 243 and the 260 rem..... how times have changed.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which size bolt face do you have? You are mostly talking standard face cartridges but mentioned WSM is probably overkill, but that wouldn't be a consideration (w/o a bolt swap) if you had a standard face. Contrary if you have a magnum face right now you can't go to standard (w/o a bolt swap).

Short/medium calibers in long action is just a bit of extra weight and such with the bonus you can run LONG bullets if desired (and you are throated to accommodate).

TwoTikkas

WKR
I had a Remington based long action 284 Winchester. Pretty good format. Fed well and milked all the good from the round. How about building a 6.5 / 284 long action?

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Should have clarified - I'm not really looking at 7mm and probably not 270. Too close to my .308 and 300 WM. WSM cartridges are probably overkill for what I'm looking for too, previously had a .270 WSM and a 7mm STW.

I think the .243 - .264 range is probably the sweet spot for me.

In that case , 6.5 Creed and forgetaboutit !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a 6.5-06. Pretty good ballistics (same case capacity essentially as the 6.5-284) and won't burn up barrels quickly. Plenty cartridge up to and including elk and simple to neck up 25-06 brass. A 25-06 would be another good one and if you want a nice flat shooting cartridge. I've thought about building a 6mm-06 also. That would be a great round with heavier bullets 100 grs. and up with say a 1-8 twist barrel.

6.5 Creed. or, a .260 Rem Improved, 30 degree shoulder, would be a "nice" choice, but shooting the 130-140 grain bullets might be more recoil than, you'd want for a "Fun gun" ! I'm going to build a 1-9 twist, 6XCII or a 6MMSLR for my next rifle and shoot the 75 to 107 grain Bullets with, a bit LESS,.. recoil, but still good for, descent,.. "long range" ! I'll be using a short action, Rem 700 so leaning toward, the 6XC.
For the Long action, I'd go,.. 6MM SLR. Good luck with, YOUR choice and please, let us know how it works out for you.
With today's, LOW heat, Powders, avail, you should get 2,500 Rounds thru either of, those 2 6MM Calibers, something to,.. think about !

Last edited:
OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Lot's of great feedback everyone, thanks.

Sounds like the Short Action caliber in a Long Action isn't a big deal, I'd just need to pick a caliber. Point taken above - I do have a Magnum Bolt Face, so would probably need a new bolt. Good chance to get one fluted or lightened though. I do handload, but don't want to have to fireform or neck down brass so good brass availability is a consideration

.257 Roberts is intriguing as is 25-06, 6.5 Creed vs. 6.5-06 or 6.5x284 are all interesting decisions. Then again - the 6mm's might be just the ticket for me... So far I think that's the direction I'm leaning as a gun for deer sized game down through varmints, as well as just target shooting on the range.

Not an immediate project, but helps me plan...

mcr-85

WKR
With a mag bolt face already and a long action with your preferences you have states I think I'd build a 26 Nosler. Just my opinion. It would be a little hotter than you were looking for but it would be a good one. I have a 270 WSM on a long action that I like but you said you don't want a WSM.

With a Magnum Bolt Face, you "might" look at a 6.5 X .270 WSM ( or, 6.5 Gap 4 ) neck down the .270 WSM Brass .013 to 6.5 and down load a bit,.. so not wearing out barrels. Agree with mcr-85, above,.. I love my .270 WSM,.."LAZER" !

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I’m old and down to 3 rifles, a .257 Roberts, a 6.5 Creedmoor and a .270. No family to leave them to so they will go to friends. I love ‘em all!

TWG0572

WKR
Just got a new tikka T3x Superlite 6.5 creedmoor, never shot it and I’m building a 6.5x284 out of it. I don’t shoot compilation and want the extra power for hunting, but mostly just to utilize the long action. And I want it lol