.308 in Barrett Fieldcraft 18" or Kimber Adirondack?

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide between the Barrett Fieldcraft or Kimber Adirondack in .308. Would be using it for deer-sheep-caribou-bear-elk. So from 150g up to 180g bullets. The Barrett has a 1-10" twist while the Kimber is 1-12" both in an 18" barrel. I don't hand-load yet but someday in the not so distant future would like to if that makes a difference. They are about the same price and both seem to have good accuracy according to what I have read. The Barrett "seems" to be a bit more accurate though, with some claiming 1/2 MOA. Any thoughts from those that have one or both would be greatly appreciated.

Not exactly what you are talking about, but I have a Kimber Mountai Ascent and love it. I shoot Barnes ttsx 168 grain and it shoots great and carries great.

hodgeman

WKR
I've shot several Barretts and talked to the owners of several more and they all seem to shoot uniformly good. I've also owned several Kimbers of various vintages and those were certainly more sporadic with regard to accuracy.

For the same money, I'd take a Barrett every day of the week.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d go with a kimber, the 3 position safety is important to me. Plus, I’ve had great luck with kimbers. Obviously the Barrett’s are nice too but I’d prefer the kimber.

R H Clark

FNG
The Kimbers can be good shooters but you have a better chance of a good shooter with the Barrett. Each Barrett is individually full length bedded into it's stock and Barrett uses better quality stress relieved barrels. Kimbers are all bedded into a slave action, not each specific action. There are more QC issues with Kimbers and sometimes the company isn't helpful at all. I own a Montana and it is accurate sometimes and horrible sometimes. I'm trying to figure it out right now.

Unless you just have to have a bolt locking safety,without a doubt,get the Barrett. It is a higher quality gun. It also is twisted properly,throated properly and has a mag box longer than the Kimber to take advantage of higher BC bullets along with it's twist and match grade chamber. Get the Barrett!

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the quick replies. All good info. For those that have the Barrett, any in the 18” .308?

fatbacks

WKR
I have a 18" Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM. Great rifle, shoots sub MOA with factory ammo and great to carry in the woods with the shorter barrel. Only downside to 18" barrels is the loss in muzzle velocity.

deadwolf

WKR
.308 in Barrett Fieldcraft 18" or Kimber Adirondack?

Thank you for the quick replies. All good info. For those that have the Barrett, any in the 18” .308?

I have the Barrett in .308, with the 21” barrel, I opted for the possible little bump in velocity over the 18”. And I had no need or desire to shoot it suppressed. I’d like to see the two side by side to see if there really is any velocity distance. I’ve posted the article here before, but TacOps cut a barrel inch by inch to find where velocity started to drop in the
.308....it was right at 18”, so you likely wouldn’t lose speed much in going that route.

I’ve owned a Kimber Montana, but I don’t anymore. : )

The 10 twist is also going to work in your favor for the .308 and the longer mag box length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have to meet ya up somewhere and have you shoot both a short barrel Kimber and Barrett and see which one you like better. Personally owning both I would take the Barrett, but nothing really wrong with the Kimbers either. Both work just fine.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Have to meet ya up somewhere and have you shoot both a short barrel Kimber and Barrett and see which one you like better. Personally owning both I would take the Barrett, but nothing really wrong with the Kimbers either. Both work just fine.

That would be great! I am definitely leaning heavily toward the Barrett for the 1-10" twist rate and the claimed accuracy +.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Barrett is certainly cool, very cool. I’m just trying to convince myself I don’t need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
After the conversation I just had with two members of Kimber's staff I would not even consider a Kimber if I could get essentially the same thing from Barrett.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nah, you don't, you already said you prefer the Kimber, let the Barrett be dead to you. :)

Yeah I can try to pretend it’s dead but I’ll probably have one down the road. As of now I’m really happy with my kimber, just shuffling things around in order to add a nice scope to it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
After the conversation I just had with two members of Kimber's staff I would not even consider a Kimber if I could get essentially the same thing from Barrett.

I keep hearing things like this which is unfortunate. Why do they act like such ****s to their customers??? I don’t get it.

FURMAN

WKR
I keep hearing things like this which is unfortunate. Why do they act like such ****s to their customers??? I don’t get it.

The real question is how are they still in business? I get better customer service from Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The real question is how are they still in business? I get better customer service from Verizon.

I guess there’s enough of a market for their stuff. Honestly, before the barret rifle came out, there was pretty much. I competition unless you wanted to spend 2-3x as much as a kimber costs.

I had to deal with their customer service just one time. I guess I was lucky because the guy I talked to was great. He got the problem straightened out right away

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Well,it’s has been decided.....picked up the Barrett. Can’t wait to start using it!