First Glock Help - Custom G20?

treillw

WKR
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting my first Glock, a G20. I want the gun to be used for defense while out in the woods, mostly for animals. I have a ton of other guns, but this would be my first Glock. I'm interested in doing some custom work to it, or maybe just buying a full on custom from the start. The main things I'm interested in modifying are the trigger and the grip. I would like the trigger a little smoother and the grip smaller (I'd also like my wife to shoot the gun with her tiny hands).

I would also consider shooting .40 out of it for practice. I will be reloading for it though, so I can probably just lighten up some 10mm loads and avoid buying duplicate brass and dies.

I would like to shoot the biggest baddest hard cast bullets out of it available.

What are some other custom modifications that are worth doing? I'm not into the fancy slide cutouts and golden barrels really. I want to keep dirt out of those places in the woods.

Who are some good builders who you would suggest to build or do some custom work?

Any suggestions on a good trigger or grip mod style? I'm admittedly a bit of a trigger snob.

Thanks!

R H Clark

FNG
I wouldn't do anything to the grip to start with. Any really noticeable modification will cost a good bit and drastically reduce the resale value. You might decide a year from now to trade it in for something different. Years ago I hated the grip on Glocks. I thought they all felt too bulky in my hand. Then I took some time to learn the proper way to grip a handgun with two hands and the Glock suddenly wasn't so bad after all.

The only modifications I do on Glocks is to install a Ghost Rocket kit and new sights. Don't lighten the FP spring on anything other than 9mm though. On sights, start with the factory testing ammo and when you find your best grouping factory ammo,or whatever you want to use, measure your groups height from center mass and use the Ameriglo sight calculator.

You just have to learn to shoot well before you do any sight changing though. Most left-right misses are caused by grip and improper recoil management or trigger control. If your sights are aligned properly on the pistol and you are simply shooting high or low in a nice tight group, then it will be time to change your sights.

TauPhi111

WKR
I recently got a G20 and decked it out for bear defense. Here's what I did.

First off I'd agree not to mod the grip. It voids the warranty as well as what RH said. And when you're shooting those nasty 41 mag level loads, you'll want that large, hand filling grip. If you want your gun to be more grippy, use a wrap.

As far as going full custom, I wouldn't do that either. Most of the custom builders out there build competition guns, not back country defense guns. Stock glocks are uber reliable and that is what you want foremost when a griz is coming at you. Also, stock glocks are inexpensive, whereas you'll pay $2k+ for a gucci glock.

Second, a G20 can not shoot 10mm and 40 interchangably. I think you know that but your post was a little unclear to me so I just wanted to make sure you were aware. Run of the mill factory 180 grain 10mm is pretty weak compared to stuff from say, Underwood. You'll be able to shoot it fine if your grip technique is good.

As for the biggest, baddest loads for stopping animals that want to eat you...Underwood Ammo 220 grain hardcasts. Advertised velocity is 1200 FPS which puts it right up there with a decent 41 mag load using the same weight class bullet. I haven't chrono'd any yet myself, but youtube vids will show you that they are true to their advertised velocity, which can't be said for Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. Look up the video of a 10mm 220 grain Underwood round going through 14 water jugs and keep on going. I don't care what the revolver guys say, if a round can do that, it'll pennetrate on a bear and then it's just a matter of what tissues are damaged.

Here is what I did to my Stock Gen 4 G20. Almost all of my parts I got from Lone Wolf
-LWD (or other brand) 6" extended barrel. This allows you to squeeze some more velocity from those hot loads. I feel that when dealing with an auto pistol opposed to a revolver, every little bit of extra velocity helps. These barrels have match chambers though, and they will take some wearing in before feeding issues go away. Make sure your loads feed flawlessly before you stake your life on it. This also allows you to shoot cast bullets without worry in your glock.

-LWD pro pick trigger kit. This kit basically lightens the trigger pull a little and takes out all the trigger overtravel for faster shooting. It comes with a reduced power firing pin spring but I did not use that because it potentially makes the gun less reliable.

-Gen 3 stainless guide rod, Gen 4 adapter, and ISMI 22# recoil spring. This makes sure the hot loads don't beat your gun to death and it tames recoil. You need the Gen 3 type guide rod to use the ISMI springs.

-Trijicon night sights

-extended slide release lever

-Arredondo +5 mag extensions. I have these on 2 mags. I wouldn't carry them in the woods becuase it's just extra weight and stock mags are already 15 rounds, but they are fun for the range and look cool.

Last edited:

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
The main things I'm interested in modifying are the trigger and the grip...... and the grip smaller (I'd also like my wife to shoot the gun with her tiny hands).

What about the Glock 20SF with the smaller grip?

Last edited:

TauPhi111

WKR
What about the Glock 20SF with the smaller grip?

With the Gen 4 and Gen 5, the regular non SF frame without any of the backstraps is the same as the SF frame, the small backstrap makes it the old standard glock frame, and the large backstrap makes it bigger than the old standard frame.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I kept my Gen4 G20 pretty simple. Lone Wolf barrel and Ameriglo night sights.
You also gotta check out the Gunfighter Inc chest holsters. Love that thing!

TauPhi111

WKR

Yeah i need to get one of those Kenai chest holsters. They seem to be about the best thing out there for carrying a defensive handgun with a pack and bino harness.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah i need to get one of those Kenai chest holsters. They seem to be about the best thing out there for carrying a defensive handgun with a pack and bino harness.
I go back and forth on how much I like bino harnesses and a pistol at the same time... When packing the G20 I put, my binos in the hip belt pouch. I then use a home made paracord strap to hang them on my neck if needed. This works ok, and I made my sling long enough I slip one arm through (Bandolier style) if I ditch the pack and want both on me.

deadwolf

WKR
I did the same upgrades like others have posted above.

-KKM match grade barrel
-Stainless guide rod and 22lb spring from Lone Wolf I think
-I can’t remember the name, but I added a grip tape wrap to mine as well.

I wouldn’t mind getting a new Springfield Operator also, now that they are making those in 10mm. I’d do that long before going full custom on a 10mm Glock.

And I like the Guides Choice chest holster from Diamond D Leather myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Sights of your choosing
SSVI Tyr Trigger maybe
If you're going to have grip work done, Boresight Solutions

Find the things you don't like about a gun via shooting it, then start playing with it has always kind of been my m.o.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the triggers from glock triggers dot com because they are made with OEM parts so you still have factory parts.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
With the Gen 4 and Gen 5, the regular non SF frame without any of the backstraps is the same as the SF frame, the small backstrap makes it the old standard glock frame, and the large backstrap makes it bigger than the old standard frame.

So are you saying that you can use the G20 Gen 4 without a backstrap?? I thought one had to be installed.

AdamW

WKR
So are you saying that you can use the G20 Gen 4 without a backstrap?? I thought one had to be installed.

Correct, backstraps add to the grip.

5ydu2emy.jpg

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

I've been debating between the Gunfighter Inc holster and the Diamond D guides choice. I was leaning towards the Diamond D, because I thought it would be quieter brushing up against things? If you bump your gun off of it or something, isn't the kydex louder?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Next question. There are 3 different G20 models on their website (G20, G20 Gen 4, G20 SF) and I'm sure I can find other generations out there as well.

What in the world is the difference between them and which one do I want to buy? haha

- The website says that the G20 is .19" longer and a shade heavier than the other two.
- The Gen 4 has interchangeable grips over the G20
- The SF supposedly has a smaller grip than the others, but it sounds like people are saying that it is the same as the Gen 4 with
the smallest backstrap?

I have heard reports of some of them kicking more than others. Which has the lowest felt recoil?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Next question. There are 3 different G20 models on their website (G20, G20 Gen 4, G20 SF) and I'm sure I can find other generations out there as well.

What in the world is the difference between them and which one do I want to buy? haha

- The website says that the G20 is .19" longer and a shade heavier than the other two.
- The Gen 4 has interchangeable grips over the G20
- The SF supposedly has a smaller grip than the others, but it sounds like people are saying that it is the same as the Gen 4 with
the smallest backstrap?

I have heard reports of some of them kicking more than others. Which has the lowest felt recoil?

The gen 4 has a different grip texture than the gen3, as well as a larger mag release and a different recoil spring, it also has changeable backstraps.

The gen3 sf just has a smaller grip which is the same size as a gen 4 with no backstrap installed (that’s how I run mine).

IMO the gen 4 is a good upgrade from the gen 3 and I have both so I have compared the 2 extensively. I actually have 2 gen4 g20s and one 3rd gen currently.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been debating between the Gunfighter Inc holster and the Diamond D guides choice. I was leaning towards the Diamond D, because I thought it would be quieter brushing up against things? If you bump your gun off of it or something, isn't the kydex louder?
I like the fact that it didn't hold moisture like the leather ones did. Noise has never been an issue. I'm sure if you are bumping it, it might be, but just have never noticed it.

On the which model, I think the Gen 4 is the way to go, but that is just my opinion. My buddy has the Gen 3 and hasn't had any issues either. I just prefer how the Gen 4 fits my hand.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The gen 4 has a different grip texture than the gen3, as well as a larger mag release and a different recoil spring, it also has changeable backstraps.

The gen3 sf just has a smaller grip which is the same size as a gen 4 with no backstrap installed (that’s how I run mine).

IMO the gen 4 is a good upgrade from the gen 3 and I have both so I have compared the 2 extensively. I actually have 2 gen4 g20s and one 3rd gen currently.

Thank you sir. So the "gen 3" is what they are calling the G20 on their website?