First Glock Help - Custom G20?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thank you sir. So the "gen 3" is what they are calling the G20 on their website?

I’d imagine they have both on their website. I’ve read that they are currently working on stopping production on the gen3.

The 3 and 4 are essentially the same gun it’s just that the 4 has a few upgrades, unfortunately I never found any gen3 versions on a “deep discount” so I’ve just gone with the 4s while my 3 sits in the safe.

AdamW

WKR
Thank you sir. So the "gen 3" is what they are calling the G20 on their website?

Yes. G20, G20 Gen4, G20SF are the designations. If it is anything newer than Gen 3 it will have the "Gen _" at the end.

hodgeman

WKR
For what it's worth...a Glock with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it is like a Honda Civic with a 3" exhaust pipe. You can do it, but it won't work any better than the one that came on it and might even be worse.

Just get a bone stock G20, stick it in a Kenai chest rig and rock on...

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Yes. G20, G20 Gen4, G20SF are the designations. If it is anything newer than Gen 3 it will have the "Gen _" at the end.

Glock needs to offer college classes to understand the differences between their different generations and models :D

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Glock needs to offer college classes to understand the differences between their different generations and models :D

Maybe it’s just because I was obsessed with glocks a few years ago but it dosent seem all that difficult to understand. I never paid much attention to the oddball ones that come in 357sig and 45gap. I had a g36 at one point, it has the potential to be a sweet CC piece but the way they make like half the grip length as part of the magazine always seemed really dumb, just make a full length grip with a flat floor plate on the mags like every other damn model they make.

Other than the oddball calibers I mentioned I’ve had most of he other models 26,19,17 (still have these) 27,23,22 sent them down the road, 30,21,36 ( I got out of 45acp), 29,20(still have them).

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Maybe it’s just because I was obsessed with glocks a few years ago but it dosent seem all that difficult to understand. I never paid much attention to the oddball ones that come in 357sig and 45gap. I had a g36 at one point, it has the potential to be a sweet CC piece but the way they make like half the grip length as part of the magazine always seemed really dumb, just make a full length grip with a flat floor plate on the mags like every other damn model they make.

Other than the oddball calibers I mentioned I’ve had most of he other models 26,19,17 (still have these) 27,23,22 sent them down the road, 30,21,36 ( I got out of 45acp), 29,20(still have them).

Just like anything, the more you do it, the more you know. I can tell you that I read your entire post and the only thing I understood gun spec wise was G20 and I'm pretty sure that the 19 is a 9mm. Typically I'll tell people that I have a 3" kimber 1911 in 45 ACP, I suppose it would be easier to say a "Kimber 78" or whatever, but only educated people would know what that actually is. Then you get into all the variations: Kimber 78.1, 78.2, 78.2 wth, etc haha

I always need to break out the website to decode "glock talk".

Their system works, just venting!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just like anything, the more you do it, the more you know. I can tell you that I read your entire post and the only thing I understood gun spec wise was G20 and I'm pretty sure that the 19 is a 9mm. Typically I'll tell people that I have a 3" kimber 1911 in 45 ACP, I suppose it would be easier to say a "Kimber 78" or whatever, but only educated people would know what that actually is. Then you get into all the variations: Kimber 78.1, 78.2, 78.2 wth, etc haha

I always need to break out the website to decode "glock talk".

Their system works, just venting!

Yeah I hear you. I was about to type it all out then I remembered that now there are long slide models in 9mm, 40sw, 45acp and 10mm not to mention the g19x and the fact that the Glock 81 is a knife.....

Yeah I guess it is a bit confusing. Anyways, get a gen4 Glock 20 and do whatever upgrades you want to it and be good. I have 2 g20 gen4s (and a gen3). One of my gen4 pistols is stock, the other has a Kkm barrel, trigger from glock triggers dot com and trijicon HD sights. My other 2 are stock except for trijicon HD sights.

Also somebody said you can’t shoot 40sw Ammo through them.....actually you can,even without a conversion barrel.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Just had my wife testing out the gen 4. It is two hairs away from being way too big and borderline acceptable. Were going to try out my buddy's to see how she likes firing it. That's the only way to know for sure. I wish it was just a little smaller for her.

On a side note, holy crap the 45 acp glock is like holding a 2x4.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just had my wife testing out the gen 4. It is two hairs away from being way too big and borderline acceptable. Were going to try out my buddy's to see how she likes firing it. That's the only way to know for sure. I wish it was just a little smaller for her.

On a side note, holy crap the 45 acp glock is like holding a 2x4.

The gen4 with no backstrap is the same size as the gen3 sf and that’s as small as it gets. You could try the g29 with the Pearce +0 extensions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The gen4 with no backstrap is the same size as the gen3 sf and that’s as small as it gets. You could try the g29 with the Pearce +0 extensions.

You could also try the sig sauer 220 hunter 10mm or a ruger sr1911 10mm but honestly those seem like compromises to me and if I was going to get a gun that only held 8 rounds, I’d just carry my redhawk 44mag.

Last edited:

TauPhi111

WKR
Also somebody said you can’t shoot 40sw Ammo through them.....actually you can,even without a conversion barrel.

I suppose you could, but the rounds wouldn't be headspacing correctly on the mouth of the cartridge and the only thing holding the round in place would be the extractor, kind of like shooting 45 ACP in a 460 Rowland converison. You could do it, but if the extractor didn't hold a round it would be pushed into the chamber and cause a misfire.

Beendare

WKR
The guys I know shooting the G20's as a bear backup all rebarrelled and changed the springs as a couple of posters mentioned.

a Glock is no different from any other semi auto...they are tuned for reliability. When you make a big change to the cartridges used < like the Lehigh ammo or more powerful and heavier hardcast rounds> its wise to use a heavier recoil spring to match the cartridge.

So its not like modding a Glock is unwise....or like adding accessories to your truck....some mods can improve function.

For example, my one buddy tried to get away with shooting the stock polygonal barrel with hardcast....and he had bullets tumbling into the target......until he went with the LW rifled barrel.

Doesn't th gen 4 also have a metal guide rod?

There was a guy is silver city running a eaa witness all the time in 10mm and it worked great. Heavy tho.

TauPhi111

WKR
Doesn't th gen 4 also have a metal guide rod?

They do not unfortunately. The Gen4's are different in that they have a double spring, but there are still plastic components in them. If you want to use a beefed up spring to shoot heavy loads, you have to get a gen 3 style guide rod and an adapter for the larger hole in the front of the Gen 4 slide. I got a SS rod and adapter from Lone Wolf and it works great. Also it is worth noting that even with a 22 lb spring (stock is 17 lb), even light factory loads cycle fine. Recoil is also partially tamed because the slide is not impacting the frame as hard.

frankrb3

WKR
Have you considered the G40? 6" barreled 10mm glock. That's the one I want. Anyone have experience? Would it be a good option for the OP?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Have you considered the G40? 6" barreled 10mm glock. That's the one I want. Anyone have experience? Would it be a good option for the OP?

I thought that one would be fun, but think the 20 will come out of the holster a tad faster.

I like the idea of a red dot too, especially for night time, but I think it wouldn't take much for it to get covered with snow or frosted up when it's 20 below with wind chill on the top of the mountain in the morning. Anybody have any experience with this?

blasterak

FNG
If it’s a carry gun, I more or less leave it stock.
This. I've been carrying my G20SF Gen 3 for years. Never modified it, even use the stock sights but I have a set of meprolights i've been meaning to install for years lol. Only "mod" i've done is the Advantage arms 22lr conversion, allows for lots of cheap practice with the same frame and for small game hunting. I'd recommend a Gen 4.

frankrb3

WKR
I thought that one would be fun, but think the 20 will come out of the holster a tad faster.

I like the idea of a red dot too, especially for night time, but I think it wouldn't take much for it to get covered with snow or frosted up when it's 20 below with wind chill on the top of the mountain in the morning. Anybody have any experience with this?

I think the speed difference out of the holster would be negligible but you do make some valid points about the snow clogging up a red dot window. Could just use the iron sights. I held one a few months ago in a store and it is a big glock. I would imagine the extra mass from the longer slide would help with recoil. It is expensive for a glock though. I think they usually sell for $700.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the speed difference out of the holster would be negligible but you do make some valid points about the snow clogging up a red dot window. Could just use the iron sights. I held one a few months ago in a store and it is a big glock. I would imagine the extra mass from the longer slide would help with recoil. It is expensive for a glock though. I think they usually sell for $700.

If snow is blocking that holographic sight, it’s also going to block the iron sights that you are co-witnessing.

If it really came down to that though, the encounter would be so damn close that you wouldn’t need to (or have time to) aim anyhow.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Could just get an extended 6” barrel for the Glock 20. I don’t see the value of adding a holographic or laser sight to a gun that’s there for emergency use.