7mm rem mag factory load for elk?

Wworker

FNG
I just picked up a Savage 110 rem mag and I'm looking for a couple good factory elk loads for a Montana hunt in the fall. Any suggestions? Reloading isn't in the cards this year, I have too many other things I need to learn.

Thanks for your input

Outlaw99

WKR
My gun liked the Hornady ELD-X as well, but the Berger HSM’s were hands down the best groupings

slowelk

WKR
2nd vote for 160gr nosler partition. The ELD-X shoot well out of my 7mm, but I don't like the polymer tip for hunting.

LaGriz

WKR
"This or 160 gr. Accubonds. Federal or Nosler make excellent loads using these two bullets"

+ 1 on the 160 Accubonds. They group and kill well out my .280 Rem. I would also recommend Nosler ammo. Can you find any commercially loaded Swift bullets for your 7MM RM? Either the A frame or the Sirocco should be good elk medicine. What ever groups best.

LaGriz

I would take most of these suggestions and shoot them all and see what your rifle likes best.

Precision hunter
Federal with partition,
Federal with trophy bonded
Nosler trophy accubond
Nosler with partition

I'm sure I'm leaving some more out. All of those will kill elk just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
In a small sample size I've found that the polymer tip loses it's integrity when hitting a hard surface, and does not yield the desirable mushroom shape that I have come to find with the partitions. I've never not recovered an animal from using ELD-X, but I'm more satisfied with the bullet behavior of the partitions.

R H Clark

FNG
In a small sample size I've found that the polymer tip loses it's integrity when hitting a hard surface, and does not yield the desirable mushroom shape that I have come to find with the partitions. I've never not recovered an animal from using ELD-X, but I'm more satisfied with the bullet behavior of the partitions.

It has nothing to do with the polymer tip and everything to do with the rest of the bullet. An Accubond is completely different from an ELD-X despite the fact that they both have polymer tips, and a TTSX is different from either of those despite the tip.

From what I have heard and read, Barnes original TSX didn't expand (mushroom) as quickly as some hunters liked, so Barnes designed the TTSX with the Polymer tip. The polymer tip initiates expansion, and supposedly lowers the velocity threshold needed for reliable expansion.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say! It doesn't matter that it has a polymer tip, its what kind of business it has going on behind that polymer tip. You can't compare a Vmax type bullet to an Accubond or TTSX.

mtmuley

WKR
It has nothing to do with the polymer tip and everything to do with the rest of the bullet. An Accubond is completely different from an ELD-X despite the fact that they both have polymer tips, and a TTSX is different from either of those despite the tip.

Yep. mtmuley