Bergara B14 HMR Vs Tikka CTR 24” 6.5 CM

Not getting my hopes up too much, but my wife asked me if there’s anything in particular I would want as a graduation present. I’m finally finishing my masters degree after taking classes part-time while I worked.

I’m thinking hard about a Tikka CTR in 6.5 with a 24” barrel. The only other rifle I’d consider in the sub $1000 range is the Bergara

I like the adjustable cheek riser on the Bergara. I have a tendency to need a little lift when using a 20 moa rail. Not sure, but likely have to add a kydex cheek riser to the CTR. Maybe not. Not sure.

I like the 24” barrel on the Tikka and know that the action is butter smooth. I also like that’s it a little lighter than the HMR.

As a dedicated hunting/long range plinking gun, which would you choose?

I know the Tikka stocks are on the cheap side but acceptable. Not sure if the stock on the Bergara elevates it to being the better rifle, despite the 22” barrel and heavier weight.

Thoughts? In the end, not sure I’ll get anything, but there’s always hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not getting my hopes up too much, but my wife asked me if there’s anything in particular I would want as a graduation present. I’m finally finishing my masters degree after taking classes part-time while I worked.

I’m thinking hard about a Tikka CTR in 6.5 with a 24” barrel. The only other rifle I’d consider in the sub $1000 range is the Bergara

I like the adjustable cheek riser on the Bergara. I have a tendency to need a little lift when using a 20 moa rail.

I like the 24” barrel on the Tikka and know that the action is butter smooth. I also like that’s it a little lighter than the HMR.

As a dedicated hunting/long range plinking gun, which would you choose?

I know the Tikka stocks are on the cheap side but acceptable. Not sure if the stock on the Bergara elevates it to being the better rifle, despite the 22” barrel and heavier weight.

Thoughts? In the end, not sure I’ll get anything, but there’s always hope.

I’ve never owned a Bergara but I’ve shot 2 different 6.5’s. You’re correct. The Bergara stock is much better than the Tikka but that’s where the buck stopped. The Tikka in my experience is a much better rifle. The Bergara’s are a fine rifle but the Tikka is a step above. You can always upgrade the stock later. The Tikkas are stupid accurate!! The Bergara’s are also accurate but I’ve only shot factory ammo through them. I’ve purchased 3 of the Tikkas and will buy another in a heart beat. You won’t go wrong with either.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the Bergara. It is very accurate and easy to load for. Action is just as "buttery" as any Tikka

Having shot 4 different CTR and 2 HMR no one thought that was the case. Couole that with a feed ramp on the HMR that needs to be modified just to reach the lands. Not that the HMR is a bad choice, the fact that it’s a Remington based action means you have all sorts of aftermarket options.
But it’s not stainless either and it is heavier if that matters in one having a hunting/target rifle.

OP
F
Having shot 4 different CTR and 2 HMR no one thought that was the case. Couole that with a feed ramp on the HMR that needs to be modified just to reach the lands. Not that the HMR is a bad choice, the fact that it’s a Remington based action means you have all sorts of aftermarket options.
But it’s not stainless either and it is heavier if that matters in one having a hunting/target rifle.

Luke,
Can you load to lands on the CTR and still have room to feed the mag? I read a review that said no problems there, just want to double check.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Congratulations! Rifles come and go, but college degrees are permanent.

Agreed!!! That is a huge accomplishment!!

As for CTR to the lands....it comes with the CTR mag box which is a 3" mag box. My CTR was the longest to the lands at 2.955" the rest were less than that with the shortest one being 2.930". So yeah all easily get to the lands in the supplied mag box.

I was able to get to a load long enough in my AICS no binder plate mag to reach the lands easily with room to spare in the mag....but it will not feed into the rifle with the feed ramp as it is. Its an easy fix for a gunsmith or if you got dremel skills from what I understand. Just something to be aware of if loading to the lands matters to you at all. For some its a non issue. I just like options. :)

OP
F
Agreed!!! That is a huge accomplishment!!

As for CTR to the lands....it comes with the CTR mag box which is a 3" mag box. My CTR was the longest to the lands at 2.955" the rest were less than that with the shortest one being 2.930". So yeah all easily get to the lands in the supplied mag box.

I was able to get to a load long enough in my AICS no binder plate mag to reach the lands easily with room to spare in the mag....but it will not feed into the rifle with the feed ramp as it is. Its an easy fix for a gunsmith or if you got dremel skills from what I understand. Just something to be aware of if loading to the lands matters to you at all. For some its a non issue. I just like options. :)

Sounds good! In my current rifle, best groups with 143 eld-x are .02” off the lands anyway, so the CTR should work fine as is.

OP
F
One other question: if the cheek piece that comes with the CTR needs to be raised for me, can it pop off and I can just add something like a Karsten kydex one, or maybe buy another factory Tikka cheek piece that's a little taller? Based on pics, with the way it comes from the factory it might be tough to add a kydex bolt on model if that cheek piece is not removable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
One other question: if the cheek piece that comes with the CTR needs to be raised for me, can it pop off and I can just add something like a Karsten kydex one, or maybe buy another factory Tikka cheek piece that's a little taller? Based on pics, with the way it comes from the factory it might be tough to add a kydex bolt on model if that cheek piece is not removable.

The cheek piece on the OEM stock isn't tall enough. Honestly I never even looked to see if its removable as I put mine into a chassis in less than 2 months of owning it as did one other buddy that bought one. However, on of the other two buddy's that got the a CTR, I had him put a cheek pad on it and added foam under the pad until we got proper height alignment.

uWZa80S.jpg

For me the stock def needs a high comb to get a good cheek weld and full sight picture in the stock. The velcro on cheek pad is inexpensive and effect and gives you a place to hold some extra rounds if needed. That is one advantage for the HMR for sure. But $15 cheek pad and you're in biz. :)

Of course dropping the CTR in a KRG bravo is a nice relatively inexpensive option down the road as well. My other buddy has one of those and they are WAY nice especiallyfor the money.

Hope that helps.

OP
F
Thanks Luke, that helps. I wouldn't buy a chassis right off the bat, but will consider it down the road if I end up getting the CTR.
I have a Karsten cheek piece on one of my current rifles and like the solid feel, but it has it's disadvantages like when it comes to cleaning the bore it's a bit of a PITA.
I would probably buy a velcro cheek piece to start since they're cheap and work fine.