Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM/18.5" barrel?

stevevan

WKR
Hello: I've decided I want a fieldcraft. My choice is the 6.5 CM chambering. Next decision is either the 18.5" barrel or the 21". I like the idea of the 18.5 for portability. To those in the know. In that chambering what approx. velocity loss will I experience going to the shorter barrel? If I work up handloads what would be the recommended powder for the best performance to make up that velocity loss? Question for all Fieldcraft owners. Handling, does the model with the shorter barrel still handle acceptably or is it too muzzle light in your opinion? Thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No regrets on my 18" Fieldcraft. 7 pounds even with a 24 oz scope on it. 147 ELDM at 2720 fps with RL26. Yeah it would likely be 2775 or something with the 21" barrel, but at distances I would shoot game at it has PLENTY of velocity remaining for the bullet to expand.

aJjY7Id.jpg

I have the 21" version and wished they had put a 22" barrel on it. IMO the rifle would balance a lot better. Their long action versions they put the correct barrel length on them (24") and they balance so much better (I have the 6.5-55 and a 30/06). The 18.5" was completely out of the question for me to purchase as I would never consider hunting in the western states with a suppressor and how Barrett engineered that threaded portion of their barrel is God awful ugly....IMO. And the 21" does balance a lot better then the 18.5". I certainly don't feel portability is less or more with either barrel length.

As for powders, you cant go wrong with H4350 or Varget and Id probably lean towards Varget if you go with the 18.5" barrel.

The heavier bullets will see the most difference in velocity loss percentage per inch of barrel reduction in my particular field tests with a Lab Radar chronograph.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the 21" version and wished they had put a 22" barrel on it. IMO the rifle would balance a lot better. Their long action versions they put the correct barrel length on them (24") and they balance so much better (I have the 6.5-55 and a 30/06). The 18.5" was completely out of the question for me to purchase as I would never consider hunting in the western states with a suppressor and how Barrett engineered that threaded portion of their barrel is God awful ugly....IMO. And the 21" does balance a lot better then the 18.5". I certainly don't feel portability is less or more with either barrel length.

As for powders, you cant go wrong with H4350 or Varget and Id probably lean towards Varget if you go with the 18.5" barrel.

The heavier bullets will see the most difference in velocity loss percentage per inch of barrel reduction in my particular field tests with a Lab Radar chronograph.

How fast are you running the heavies in your 21" just curious what velocity I am giving up in edition to good looks with the 18" threaded barrel. :) Rarely do I shoot off hand so rifle balance has never been much of a factor to me. If I can shoot just as good of groups with my shorties as my longer barrel rifles that have more weight out front I have just decided to go shorty, to heck with lost velocity and good looks. ;)

I haven't hunted with a can but don't see how an 18" barrel + 7" titanium can is terribly different handling than a long action with 24" barrel.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
No regrets on my 18" Fieldcraft. 7 pounds even with a 24 oz scope on it. 147 ELDM at 2720 fps with RL26. Yeah it would likely be 2775 or something with the 21" barrel, but at distances I would shoot game at it has PLENTY of velocity remaining for the bullet to expand.

aJjY7Id.jpg
What scope do you have on that? Looks like a rifle I might want to shoot!:cool:

How fast are you running the heavies in your 21" just curious what velocity I am giving up in edition to good looks with the 18" threaded barrel. :) Rarely do I shoot off hand so rifle balance has never been much of a factor to me. If I can shoot just as good of groups with my shorties as my longer barrel rifles that have more weight out front I have just decided to go shorty, to heck with lost velocity and good looks. ;)

2805 with the Nosler ABLR 142 with H4350. 2935 same bullet out of the 6.5-55 with that 24" barrel.

Again looks of a finished rifle is matter of opinion only. I just have never liked the looks of short barreled rifles when a shorter forend stock is not also used with those short barreled rifles. It was more like an "after thought" from Barrett when building them as opposed to an engineered idea for ascetics. There are a few other things Barrett could have done more on these rifles for the cost of them IMO.

I haven't hunted with a can but don't see how an 18" barrel + 7" titanium can is terribly different handling than a long action with 24" barrel.

There is a huge difference. Not sure what can's you are referring to for suppressor weight but I'm personally only familiar with Silencerco brands. The Omega 300 Titanium weight is 14oz. Their steel constructed suppressors are all over 20 oz.

On lightweight hunting rifle typical barrel contours you are talking (number 1 and 2 type contours) .60oz (+/-) an inch. The added in weight from 18" to 24" is only 4 oz at most. That 9-10 plus oz difference hanging off the end of a lightweight rifle in the last 10" of overall barrel length is a huge deal.

Suppressors have their place in the tactical world and at the range but I personally can see no advantage to their weight and awkward handling when attached to these rifles in typical western hunting situations. Aside from the back east hunters near homes/civilization what does a suppressor give you that a set of 1/8 oz foamy ear plug or a typical recoil reducing muzzle break don't provide? Over priced hearing protection and a slight reduction of recoil is all I can see they provide in western hunting situations.

Ill take that extra 9 oz and put it into my food rations to extend my stay an extra day in the backcountry.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There is a huge difference. Not sure what can's you are referring to for suppressor weight but I'm personally only familiar with Silencerco brands. The Omega 300 Titanium weight is 14oz. Their steel constructed suppressors are all over 20 oz.

On lightweight hunting rifle typical barrel contours you are talking (number 1 and 2 type contours) .60oz (+/-) an inch. The added in weight from 18" to 24" is only 4 oz at most. That 9-10 plus oz difference hanging off the end of a lightweight rifle in the last 10" of overall barrel length is a huge deal.

Suppressors have their place in the tactical world and at the range but I personally can see no advantage to their weight and awkward handling when attached to these rifles in typical western hunting situations. Aside from the back east hunters near homes/civilization what does a suppressor give you that a set of 1/8 oz foamy ear plug or a typical recoil reducing muzzle break don't provide? Over priced hearing protection and a slight reduction of recoil is all I can see they provide in western hunting situations.

Ill take that extra 9 oz and put it into my food rations to extend my stay an extra day in the backcountry.

Have you shot a suppressor much on a short barrled hunting rifle or mostly speculating.

I only ask cause I thought along the same lines as you. Then I shot a TBAC ultra 5.....changed my mind and far from a 20 oz can. ;)

Have you thought about rebarreling your fieldcraft to a longer and heavier contour. I don't personally get the handling thing but if its a hang up for you and you shoot short rifles substanially worse then I don't blame ya one bit. I can't see enough of a difference to justify the extra length on many of my rifles. The difference between 143s out of my 18" Fieldcraft at 2720 fps and 143s out of my 24" Tikka at 2900 fps both in 6.5 CM isn't enough to make a bit of difference inside as far as I would be shooting game with an ultralight rifle.

At 600 yards the 143 from the Fieldcraft is impacting at 1900 fps and 2060 fps from the Tikka. Both well above impact velocity of most bullets especially the eldx used in this example. So yeah I can live with 160 fps slower at 600 yards for 6" less barrel to carry around. Lets face it rifle balance doesn't matter much when shooting that far anyways as you aren't going to be "holding" the rifle but rather off a backpack or a bipod at that distance.

Great thing about options though everyone can find what they prefer and no one choice is wrong just has to work for the you. Sorry you are not pleased with how Barrett turned out their rifle. If you are interested in selling it let me know I have a few guys looking for one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What scope do you have on that? Looks like a rifle I might want to shoot!:cool:

Doesn't matter its getting pulled and replaced with a SWFA 3-9X42 thats on sale now for $480...just saying...go get one for whatever you choose to get between the two. ;)

4IDARCHER

WKR
Have you shot a suppressor much on a short barrled hunting rifle or mostly speculating.

I only ask cause I thought along the same lines as you. Then I shot a TBAC ultra 5.....changed my mind and far from a 20 oz can. ;)

Have you thought about rebarreling your fieldcraft to a longer and heavier contour. I don't personally get the handling thing but if its a hang up for you and you shoot short rifles substanially worse then I don't blame ya one bit. I can't see enough of a difference to justify the extra length on many of my rifles. The difference between 143s out of my 18" Fieldcraft at 2720 fps and 143s out of my 24" Tikka at 2900 fps both in 6.5 CM isn't enough to make a bit of difference inside as far as I would be shooting game with an ultralight rifle.

At 600 yards the 143 from the Fieldcraft is impacting at 1900 fps and 2060 fps from the Tikka. Both well above impact velocity of most bullets especially the eldx used in this example. So yeah I can live with 160 fps slower at 600 yards for 6" less barrel to carry around. Lets face it rifle balance doesn't matter much when shooting that far anyways as you aren't going to be "holding" the rifle but rather off a backpack or a bipod at that distance.

Great thing about options though everyone can find what they prefer and no one choice is wrong just has to work for the you. Sorry you are not pleased with how Barrett turned out their rifle. If you are interested in selling it let me know I have a few guys looking for one.

2900 with a 143grain bullet out of a Creedmoor and a 24in barrel is moving right along for sure!

I was referring to the 14 oz Titanium can’s when comparing those numbers in my earlier post. I seriously don’t have a bit of use for a Titanium lightweight suppressor in the field, not to mention a 20oz plus can. I own a couple suppressors for larger tactical bolt rifles, a few AR’s and a couple handguns. Love them on those applications.

If someone could present an argument on the merits of them while in the field that is not done better with a set of foamy ear plugs or a traditional muzzle I’m open minded.

I just can’t for the life of me see any advantage for the western hunter using one. Their expensive, an ATF nightmare, heavy, awkward and loads developed with a suppressor more often then not, don’t group the same not to mention different POI. IVe seen them change POI if the suppressor is not indexed to the same point on the barrel.

I see it as a trend in the western hunting community that will soon go away. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

I like all my Fieldcraft rifles. I just think they came up short on a few things. They shoot decent but IMO should have been CeraKoted from the factory. I’ve had some minor rusting issues with mine that have been in field use. Cerakoting is not going to happen aftermarket unless you also spring for a new full bedding job on them since they are so tight fit bedded from factory.

I think the Sako style extractor was a negative hit on them too. A mini M16 would be a much better type. At least those extractors have a push pin to keep them with the bolt face area in the unlikely event of a case head failure. Sure they are better then a Remington style
but for the cost increase over the identical Forbes rifles aside from a few small things they should have been improved.

None of my Fieldcrafts will outshoot my Forbes in same calibers.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I get it but we all have different needs.

I never found a need for a suppressor until this past year. As such it allowed our family to hunt together much easier and not worry as much about hurting our child’s ears. As such she was right there when 16 or so big game animals were shot and she hardly gave the rifle a second look. For that reason it makes sense for our uses.

mzwierM.jpg

It’s fine that you don’t like or don’t shoot short barrel rifles as well as long ones. Have yet to find that an issue for me. That’s the great thing about choices. Luckily for you it sounds like you have a plethora of other rifles to choose from that suit your needs better than the Barretts.

I get it but we all have different needs.

I never found a need for a suppressor until this past year. As such it allowed our family to hunt together much easier and not worry as much about hurting our child’s ears. As such she was right there when 16 or so big game animals were shot and she hardly gave the rifle a second look. For that reason it makes sense for our uses.

mzwierM.jpg

It’s fine that you don’t like or don’t shoot short barrel rifles as well as long ones. Have yet to find that an issue for me. That’s the great thing about choices. Luckily for you it sounds like you have a plethora of other rifles to choose from that suit your needs better than the Barretts.

Luke the reason you gave to use a suppressor in a western non urbanized setting is honestly the first good reason I have heard yet. Very cool pic.

I actually really like the Barrett Fieldcrafts, I just think they could have done a few more things to them for the cost. I guess I was really excited about when the rumors were announced in 2015 that Barrett would be buying Forbes Rifle company and producing something similar. I figured they would have some minor upgraded changes but when they finally appeared it was basically the same Forbes late model rifles. I do think the Forbes and Fieldcrafts are the best pointing/handling rifles factory produced. The longer then average length of pull is great for taller shooters.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thank you sir. It was a lot of fun last year. I have a video of me filming my wife shooting a caribou while I held our daughter and ranged the caribou and such. Kinda a gong show having our hands full but a fun video at the same time. She didn't even jump when mom dropped her caribou.

Now that we are spoiled with hunting with quiet rifles its kinda hard to go back to loud ones. In fact my buddy with us on Kodiak decided to leave his rifle in camp and just use our rifle for hunting his deer too cause it was just so nice to not be loud. I admit its not necceasry at all as we had always done fine with out.

I agree the Barrett isn't perfect mine had way more rust than the Kimber and Tikka along on the trip to Kodiak. Kinda a bummer there. But the asthetic of the short barrel with the bump at the end for a threaded cap doesn't really bother me that much just cause I like options and the option to run a suppressor if I wanted isn't hurt anything other than it won't win a fashion show. I agree the Barretts are good, but always room for improvement, but pass me the Barrett over a Kimber everytime if given the chance and I have a few of those too.

A Barrett Fieldcraft that goes sub 7 pounds with a suppressor on it if you use a VX-2 3-9 or something and only 23" long total length barrel is hard not to like. Balances well and not stupid heavy and oh so nice when it comes time to shoot. The time to stop to put on a pair of ear plugs is about as long as it would take to thread the suppressor on if you didn't wanna walk around with it on anyways.

Sounds like you got quite the selection of rifles, jealous of your stable there for sure!