Leupold CDS Thoughts?

barrister

WKR
Thanks guys. Great info! I get the different load/cartridge issue. That’s a limiter for some and a non-issue for others if they stick to one load/cartridge.

On the traveling hunter issue, that is me, so I get that. However, aren’t those variable adjustments required regardless of method? For example, if I am used to 12 clicks to shoot a specific distance at sea level, or hold at the third reticle hash mark at sea level for that specific distance, aren’t those clicks/hashmarks off at 5000 feet above sea level? Just like a dial with that specific distance printed on it would be off going from sea level to 5000 feet? Either method requires some fine tuning for the hunt and conditions in question it seems to me.

Yea but the fine tuning is easy when your dial is marked in MOA or Mils as it only requires an app or another ballistics program to enter and get an answer.

Once your dial is in yards you will need to memorize what those are and convert that back to MOA or Mils then adjust woth the ballistics app and then dial the correct MOA using your turret that is marked in yards. So as long as you can confidently rember exactly where 4.5 MOA and 12.25 MOA and 6 MOA etc are then it is ok. Or you could count clicks as your dial is still MOA or Mils just labeled in yards.

It's just another way to dial and it is very nice in one set of conditions but makes it much more cumbersome but not impossible to adjust to different conditions

I have always looked at it this way. If that was the easiest and most accurate way to do it then there would be more scope manufacturers providing this service. I can only think of 2 but I am not an expert at this

Last edited:

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
tyeager is on the money. In the end, wherever you go, you are likely to have to change up your drops. A turret printed in yards makes that much harder to work out, but you could always count clicks etc.. Basically, you would be using the 'custom yardages' on the turret for the one set of conditions it was cut for, and then counting clicks for MOA or Mils all the rest of the times. But that's fiddly and prone to error, especially if shooting long...too easy to miss clicks, forget where you were etc.

I guess the other thing you could do is do your own version of Leica's EHR...that is, carry a card that translates your distance marks for your turret conditions to the conditions you will be in....so 500 yards on the turret equals 539 yards at the new conditions...that would work, I suppose, but I can't see bothering to adopt that method unless you already have turrets and don't have MOA ones to swap back to, so want to make your current setup work.

We have our turrets in moa, my son prints out a small card for the conditions we will be in, or puts it on his phone...he memorizes the closer ones out to 4 or 500. I'm too addled to pull that off. My RF handles all of it for me, or Kestrel for long range. I have his stuff on my Kestrel as well, in case he looses his card or we go somewhere we were not expecting.

But either way, we are always set no matter the conditions.

BTW, that is why I don't like BDC reticles either...they are even more restrictive it seems to me...we have 1 or 2 MOA slashes on our reticles for windage holds, depending on the scope.