Cooper Backcountry or other suggestions

sndmn11

WKR
I got a backcountry for Tanya and it’s a great rifle(I borrow it sometimes:) although I’ve had to send it back a few times. I would still recommend one. It’s so damn light and accurate.

But if I was buying a rifle right now it would be damn hard to pass up the christensen Arms Mesa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did it go back for?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It always been accurate. But I see where people have issues with accuracy shooting the 92. You have to hold on to it and really follow through with this rifle especially with the magnums. If you have bad habits the 92 will show you them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What did it go back for?

Magazine fell out when I pulled the trigger.

Had an issue with light primer strikes randomly.

It’s a very accurate rifle.

I will also add that this was one of the first 92s produced.
bf260c8ee3948af5732dde7cecaeb82f.jpg

fc61de0ba8369385b36ff073ae769634.jpg

82e3a1e3cfb82a431e558cdeeb1e24fb.jpg

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I just ordered a 92. For me being lightweight was important, and accuracy needs to be great.
I read a ton of reviews before making the decision. From the reviews I read it didnt seem like Fierce was in the same league as the 92.
Which is too bad, it would have been a lot easier to get a Fierce being a Canadian than it would have been to wait 6-8 months for a 92.
The Fierce is a bit cheaper for me, at approx 3400$ CDN compared to 4200$ CDN for the 92 shipped up to my dealer.
I ordered a 7mm rem mag.

It will be a great rifle for you. I wonder how many of those saying the Fierce isn’t in the same league have actually used both because I can assure you they are wrong. I completely understand if the Cooper somehow suits their needs better but quality wise these rifles are identical. Since weight was an issue for you I really think you made the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan does the brake work well?
I have read your review of the rifle numerous times on here before I was a member and really appreciate the info in it. I really hope the issues you had are ironed out now that they have been producing them for a while.
The largest importer of Coopers in Canada has his shop in my town, and he tells me of all the 92's hes brought in none have been sent back. So I hope thats an indication of QC going up since the initial release.
That being said, I am going from a Weatherby Mark V UL, so anything will be an improvement lol

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
It will be a great rifle for you. I wonder how many of those saying the Fierce isn’t in the same league have actually used both because I can assure you they are wrong. I completely understand if the Cooper somehow suits their needs better but quality wise these rifles are identical. Since weight was an issue for you I really think you made the best choice.

With Fierce being made in Canada it would have been a lot easier for me to get one, I wish I wouldnt have wrote them off so quickly based on reviews alone.
My issue is im a lefty, it sucks lol. So im limited to Fierce, Cooper and Montana. Or a custom of course.
I had a Montana X2 in 280ai that I really really liked, should have never sold it, but shes gone now. The X2 definitely isnt in the same weight class as the 92, but it shot very well and fit me good. And it was less than half the price of a 92.

FURMAN

WKR
With Fierce being made in Canada it would have been a lot easier for me to get one, I wish I wouldnt have wrote them off so quickly based on reviews alone.
My issue is im a lefty, it sucks lol. So im limited to Fierce, Cooper and Montana. Or a custom of course.
I had a Montana X2 in 280ai that I really really liked, should have never sold it, but shes gone now. The X2 definitely isnt in the same weight class as the 92, but it shot very well and fit me good. And it was less than half the price of a 92.

You’ll love the 92.

R H Clark

FNG
Magazine fell out when I pulled the trigger.

Had an issue with light primer strikes randomly.

It’s a very accurate rifle.

I will also add that this was one of the first 92s produced.
bf260c8ee3948af5732dde7cecaeb82f.jpg

fc61de0ba8369385b36ff073ae769634.jpg

82e3a1e3cfb82a431e558cdeeb1e24fb.jpg

What size groups does it shoot. I like the pictures of game killed but in all honesty it doesn't take a particularly accurate rifle to make kills. 2 MOA would do it most times. Does your rifle meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What size groups does it shoot. I like the pictures of game killed but in all honesty it doesn't take a particularly accurate rifle to make kills. 2 MOA would do it most times. Does your rifle meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee?

It really depends on the day. Yeah, the rifle can, but I can’t always shoot .5 MOA

Laker

FNG
Curious where the HS Precision 2000 lightweight fits in here? Anyone have experience with these?

ckleeves

WKR
Curious where the HS Precision 2000 lightweight fits in here? Anyone have experience with these?

I have one (PHL) in 270 WSM. I prefer the action over Cooper or Christensen. Very well built and I really like 3 position model 70 style safety’s. It will shoot their 1/2” guarantee, although it is a very hard rifle to shoot well at distance.

That being said they are overpriced imo. I bought mine used for a good price but there is no way I would pay retail. At that price a guy could build a TI action, carbon barrel lightweight custom and be in it about the same. My other complaint is their mag boxes are way to short depending on what it’s chambered for.

elkr4me

FNG
My model 92 that was recently purchased (this past winter) is 1/2 MOA with two factory loads and two hand loads...300 win...and it shot damn good with several other factory loads, sub-MOA...I am very pleased with mine

Jardo

WKR
I just order the cooper 92 in 280 AI. She's getting a Swarovski z5 3-18x44 with a bt and tally medium rings. I hope I chose right but based on Ryan's review, I'm confident this rifle checks all my boxes.

I played around with one at scheels and they are a damn nice rifle. No experience with the fierce or Christiansens but I'm sure they are up to the task. These are all very fine options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I've been looking at some of these options but think I am still going to wait to see what Bergara comes out with in lefty this year.

The lefty Mesa is going to see for about $1500 from I have seen at the sporting goods store. I could get a Bergara and put a SWFA scope on for that.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have 3 Coopers...love them and want more....but given you are obviously looking for lightweight talking about the 92, I would recommend you look at a Barrett Fieldcraft.

I think muzzle brakes come and go (my most accomplished rifle is a Browning stalker with B.O.S.S. that I received for field testing prior to them being released to the general market given our family business was a full-line Browning dealer at the time).... but the lines of the FC are classic.

Has been easy to develop sub MOA groups with several different powders and bullets from 150 - 180 grain in the 308 with 21" bbl.

Last edited: