Cooper Backcountry or other suggestions

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent quite a bit of time reading back over older posts on the Cooper Backcountry M92 rifles as these rifles are on the short list for a new general purpose hunting rifle. This week I noticed some of the online retailers are also advertising the Cooper Timberline rifles. The Timberline models use the larger AI style magazines which seem like it might be a bit cumbersome and potentially get hung up on a pack etc., but maybe not as I do not have any experience using rifles with the AI magazines.

I know Christensen and Fierce are also manufacturing rifles that are in the same price range as the Cooper M92 and some folks prefer one over the other. Are there other rifles in this price range (~$2500 or less) that I should be considering? I have thought about having a rifle built too. It seems like the price creeps up high quite quickly with having a rifle built but maybe I am missing something with this route. Any ideas are welcome as I finally get serious about purchasing a new rifle this spring.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
The benefit to the custom rifle is that you can get it done up exactly like you want, limited only by your budget. There are a lot of very good options in the $1,800-2,500 range that will shoot just as good as a custom, and likely with a better warranty that includes an MOA guarantee.

I would see if you can find a shop that has the various options and try them. They will all likely sit just a little different on your shoulder and cheek and you might find one that fits better than others. I own a Cooper and a couple of custom rifles (sucks being a lefty) and I think it would be very hard to go wrong with the Backcountry if it fits well.

-David

R H Clark

FNG
Check into the Seekins Havak. I'm pretty sure it will be my next rifle. There's good threads on a couple other sites about them. I've seen a 10 shot 200 yard group with one in 6.5 Creedmoor that you could cover with a quarter. 100 yard 3 shot groups just one small hole,not even large enough to be a cloverleaf.

FURMAN

WKR
The action on the Havak is something I would be embarrassed of if I were Seekins. I can not remember be so disappointed picking up a rifle ever before. They have horrible cock on close which is unacceptable for a $2k rifle. Fierce and Cooper are far better overall rifles than the Christensen. The CA will be accurate but again the action is not on par. If you want super light go with the 92 if not I would probably choose the Edge.

choovhntr

WKR
The action on the Havak is something I would be embarrassed of if I were Seekins. I can not remember be so disappointed picking up a rifle ever before. They have horrible cock on close which is unacceptable for a $2k rifle. Fierce and Cooper are far better overall rifles than the Christensen. The CA will be accurate but again the action is not on par. If you want super light go with the 92 if not I would probably choose the Edge.

This was my finding too. I liked the stock and magazine better on the fierce but the Cooper has a smoother action IMO and is lighter.

FURMAN

WKR
This was my finding too. I liked the stock and magazine better on the fierce but the Cooper has a smoother action IMO and is lighter.

The Fierce rifles I’ve had my hands on including mine rival Pandas for smoothness. They are obviously more difficult to cock due to shorter bolt throw but the Cooper is in the same boat as far as cocking. I love Coopers but like my Fierce more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R H Clark

FNG
We all like smooth but is it really such a big deal on a hunting rifle? I mean was the Havak that bad? I haven't handled one, but I am thinking it would have to be pretty horrible to be an issue for me in a hunting rifle.

BigJoeXD

FNG
Took delivery on my Backcountry about a week ago...well worth the wait IMO. I spent months researching and one of my LGS’s had a 92 in stock..fit was amazing, reviews were great, so sent in the order. I don’t think you’d go wrong with a 92.

marktole

WKR
I would check out the Nosler M48 Long Range and M48 Long Range Carbon. The Long Range is $2,500 with a Shilen barrel, weighs like 7.7#. The Long Range Carbon is $3,000 with a Proof Research barrel, weighs 7#.

They both have a Nosler M48 action, Manners Carbon fiber stock, and a Timney trigger. In my opinion, it’s as close as you can get to a custom rifle from the factory.

I just received a Long Range Carbon in 6.5 Creedmoor from them a week ago after a 2 1/2 month wait. I’d say it was worth it, during the break in it shot a .28” 3 shot group at 100 yards with Hornady’s ELD-X 143’s.

Just my two cents, good luck with your search!

FURMAN

WKR
I would check out the Nosler M48 Long Range and M48 Long Range Carbon. The Long Range is $2,500 with a Shilen barrel, weighs like 7.7#. The Long Range Carbon is $3,000 with a Proof Research barrel, weighs 7#.

They both have a Nosler M48 action, Manners Carbon fiber stock, and a Timney trigger. In my opinion, it’s as close as you can get to a custom rifle from the factory.

I just received a Long Range Carbon in 6.5 Creedmoor from them a week ago after a 2 1/2 month wait. I’d say it was worth it, during the break in it shot a .28” 3 shot group at 100 yards with Hornady’s ELD-X 143’s.

Just my two cents, good luck with your search!

Far from custom starting with the ridiculous short magazine box. You can not build nice rifle when you start off limiting one of the most basic parts of a rifle.

FURMAN

WKR
We all like smooth but is it really such a big deal on a hunting rifle? I mean was the Havak that bad? I haven't handled one, but I am thinking it would have to be pretty horrible to be an issue for me in a hunting rifle.

Yes it is THAT bad. Is it that important for a rifle you will be killing game at under 200-300 yards with? No, but why would you spend 2k on a rifle to shoot game at short range? Any <$500 dollar rifle will do that. If I am paying 2k for a rifle it better be right, especially when you are in the price range of rifles like the Fierce Fury/Edge and the Christensen Ridgeline. I can not speak for others but I often carry my rifles with no round in the chamber when I expect longer shots. I then get set up on the animal and chamber a round having a poor cycling action makes me have to reacquire my target. I find this unacceptable. Again if you are not needed those features or quality then why spend the money? Of the rifles being discussed I would put the Fierce and Cooper at the top with the CA right on their heels. The others are not in the same league in anyway other than price.

marktole

WKR
Far from custom starting with the ridiculous short magazine box. You can not build nice rifle when you start off limiting one of the most basic parts of a rifle.

“Custom” is a relative term, which is why I mentioned that was also my opinion. I don’t care for a or need a detachable box mag on the rifle for what I am going to use it for. Maybe your needs/wants are different and wouldn’t be as suitable.

R H Clark

FNG
“Custom” is a relative term, which is why I mentioned that was also my opinion. I don’t care for a or need a detachable box mag on the rifle for what I am going to use it for. Maybe your needs/wants are different and wouldn’t be as suitable.

What is the mag box length on that M48 Carbon?

FURMAN

WKR

Never mentioned a DBM. Yes, we all have different needs/wants. That is why is great to have options. I can not see a single thing the Nosler offers over the other options mentioned. Not one. Let us just go over the features. The Cooper is light weight, has a .5 moa guarantee, has a magazine box made to a length suited for todays bullets(not 50 years ago), has a far superior action to the Nosler. The Fierce is a little heavier but still fairly light weight(lighter weight models available for more $), .5 moa guarantee, magazine appropriately sized, far superior action to the Nosler. The Ridgeline will most likely shoot .5 moa but has no guarantee, the action is slightly nicer than the Nosler, and has an appropriately sized magazine box, etc. I am glad you like the Nosler and it sounds like it suits your needs but I guarantee the others check all the same boxes and more for the same price or less, period. I have handled everyone of them and shot three of them being discussed. If Nosler would make a 3.6+" mag box it could join the discussion but the other rifles have Nosler beat.

marktole

WKR
Never mentioned a DBM. Yes, we all have different needs/wants. That is why is great to have options. I can not see a single thing the Nosler offers over the other options mentioned. Not one. Let us just go over the features. The Cooper is light weight, has a .5 moa guarantee, has a magazine box made to a length suited for todays bullets(not 50 years ago), has a far superior action to the Nosler. The Fierce is a little heavier but still fairly light weight(lighter weight models available for more $), .5 moa guarantee, magazine appropriately sized, far superior action to the Nosler. The Ridgeline will most likely shoot .5 moa but has no guarantee, the action is slightly nicer than the Nosler, and has an appropriately sized magazine box, etc. I am glad you like the Nosler and it sounds like it suits your needs but I guarantee the others check all the same boxes and more for the same price or less, period. I have handled everyone of them and shot three of them being discussed. If Nosler would make a 3.6+" mag box it could join the discussion but the other rifles have Nosler beat.

Fair enough, but it works for me, and that’s all that matters to me. Just trying to help the OP out with suggestions.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a 92. For me being lightweight was important, and accuracy needs to be great.
I read a ton of reviews before making the decision. From the reviews I read it didnt seem like Fierce was in the same league as the 92.
Which is too bad, it would have been a lot easier to get a Fierce being a Canadian than it would have been to wait 6-8 months for a 92.
The Fierce is a bit cheaper for me, at approx 3400$ CDN compared to 4200$ CDN for the 92 shipped up to my dealer.
I ordered a 7mm rem mag.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I got a backcountry for Tanya and it’s a great rifle(I borrow it sometimes:) although I’ve had to send it back a few times. I would still recommend one. It’s so damn light and accurate.

But if I was buying a rifle right now it would be damn hard to pass up the christensen Arms Mesa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R H Clark

FNG
I read some reviews last year on the 92's and folks weren't getting anywhere near 1/2 MOA.

How well are ya'lls riffle's shooting?