Trigger Tech vs Timney for Model 700

jrm02

FNG
Looking to upgrade the factory trigger on my model 700 adl 30-06. Narrowed it down to the Trigger Tech and Timney. Budget is $150. Primary use for the rifle is hunting. Looking for feedback or personal experiences with either. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dusty2426

WKR
Looking to upgrade the factory trigger on my model 700 adl 30-06. Narrowed it down to the Trigger Tech and Timney. Budget is $150. Primary use for the rifle is hunting. Looking for feedback or personal experiences with either. Thanks.

I’ve never used trigger tech but Timney has been good to me

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never had an issue with a Timney trigger. I use the regular Timney in my hunting rifles and Calvin Elite in my bench rifle.

R H Clark

FNG
I have heard some complaints about zero overtravel in the TT triggers. Some overtravel can be a good thing.

codym

WKR
I have a timney on my 700 sendero 300WM and a primary on my 700 6.5. I prefer the primary, breaks like glass.

I like the Trigger tech myself. The lack of overtravel doesn't bother me, it breaks the way I like right out of the box and is simple to adjust. I also think the timney 510 is a fine hunting trigger.

LaHunter

WKR
I’ve got a Timney in my M700 and have been very happy with it for the past few years. Breaks clean and consistent every time. About 1-2 times / year I clean it with lighter fluid

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I prefer the TT, breaks like a dream and is simple to install and adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have a Jewel trigger on my Rem 700 .280 AI and love it......

Jewells have costed me two animals. They don’t aways work in cold wet environments. And yes I clean them regularly.

They are a great trigger... just not a great hunting trigger IMO.

Dusty2426

WKR
Jewells have costed me two animals. They don’t aways work in cold wet environments. And yes I clean them regularly.

They are a great trigger... just not a great hunting trigger IMO.

Hmm jewel hasn’t failed me yet. From Africa to Bc. I’ll have to look into it. 1 fail is to many on a hunt the reason I won’t use a rage broadhead. Had one fail in flight. 1and done

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hmm jewel hasn’t failed me yet. From Africa to Bc. I’ll have to look into it. 1 fail is to many on a hunt the reason I won’t use a rage broadhead. Had one fail in flight. 1and done

Oh.... I’m not alone. We’ve had several threads about Jewell’s. I also don’t like how they seem to get mushy after a couple hundred rounds.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not that Ryan needs it, but.... Jewells do not handle icy slush and sand/dust well at all.

rayporter

WKR
just last week I had to clean a jewell. they are great target triggers but even then need cleaned often [yearly]
this one goes from the safe to a hard case to the bench.

OP
jrm02

jrm02

FNG
Is one easier to install than the other, or is it more or less the same process? I've watched a few videos on the the Timney and it seems fairly straight forward.....

gbflyer

WKR
I have 2 Timney Calvins. They are nice at a low pull weight. If you adjust them up to a hunting pull weight, they get very creepy, just like a Jewell. If you adjust the sear engagement on the Calvin to eliminate the creep, the safety will not engage.

For a hunting gun, the Timney 510 is hard to beat, at least in the Timney line. I have a Trigger Tech coming with a new Borden, I’m looking forward to using it. They are billed as being bullet proof, lots of PRS guys use and abuse them is my understanding.

Trigger tech or a Tuned old style m700 trigger. I'm not a fan of Timney. They always seem mushy to me.

rayporter

WKR
count me in with the old style tuned remy triggers. far better than most for hunting. I have two that are set at 15 oz. for varmints and they beat a 2 oz. shilen all to heck.