Talley lightweights for Kimber Montana/Nightforce SHV?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Good morning Gentlemen,

I have anightforce SHV 3-10x42 on the way which I am very stoked about and Im planning to mount it on my Kimber Montana, Im not trying to go the Rail route since I want to keep this thing under 6.5lbs which is no problem.

Im wondering if I can get away with talley LW low rings or if ill need to go medium, this is the first 30mm scope Ive had, right now the rifle has a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it which is fine in the LW lows but it has a 1" tube.

If theres a better ring set up, Im all ears but remember, Im not looking to do the rail thing on this, Its not a precision rifle, just a hunting rifle that Im putting a more serious scope on.

Thanks!!!!

R H Clark

FNG
One option is the Warne bases and Mountain Tech rings. The Talley LW lows will work. I think lows will probably fit. They work on other 30mm 42mm objective scopes for me. One thing I would suggest is to bed the bases with JB weld. I think it helps prevent flex which will crack the bases over time. I put release agent in the receiver holes when I use JB Weld. The LB will get into the other base screw holes and hold the screws from turning back just fine. When you get ready to remove them,a few seconds with a mini pencil torch on the screws frees them right up.

fatbacks

WKR
Email or call Talley. They have always been super helpful when I’ve asked similar questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Talley has great customer service and have been very helpful every time that I have called with questions.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I mounted that same scope on a Dakota 97 using Talley low rings. Works perfectly. I did have to get an extended front base due to the shortness of that scope tube on a magnum length (338 WM) action.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shouldn’t have a length problem, my rifle is a 308. How did you like the scope? I’m really excited to get it.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
You might have a bolt clearance issue - that would be my first concern.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You might have a bolt clearance issue - that would be my first concern.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Yes that is definitely a concern. Honestly though if this scope isn’t going to work on this particular rifle the way I want then it will give me an excuse to get another rifle. Like I said, I’m simply not interested in messing with complex mounting systems on this set up, if it takes anything more than a simple pair of Talley’s or similar and requires a rail or anything then I’ll just put it on a different rifle.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I shouldn’t have a length problem, my rifle is a 308. How did you like the scope? I’m really excited to get it.

I am really liking it. Shooting at paper at 100 yards, the details on the targets are sharper then through my other scopes. Still developing loads so I have yet to fire it at father distances.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I emailed talley and they told me to go with mediums so I have the bolt clearance.