Stock Choice; Manners or McMillan?

I have a Rem 700 in 300 WSM that I bought from a member on here used a few years back. He had some custom options & work done to it and it is a really nice rifle. I put in a TT trigger, then topped it with a nice Swaro, and had one of the custom Outdoorsman turrets built for it. It also happens to shoot really well, so well that I sort of feel bad even thinking about changing anything on it.

But...my only gripe is the chunky Bell & Carlson stock that it sits in.

I keep lusting after one of the nice Manners or McMillan stocks to really round out the very nice package that I have put together. I am leaning towards the Manners EH8 right now, but I have to keep in mind if I want to go the route of lightening the rifle that much (would shave ~8-10oz based on specs). But I also like the EH1 or the McMillan Game Scout or Game Warden options.

I really have 2 questions:

From a fit/finish standpoint, those of you that have these stocks, who do you think makes a better product? Online I like the looks of the Manners finish options more, but its hard to tell on a screen. Any insight is appreciated.

and

McMillian seems to be very clear about having the drop-in ready option. Is Manners the same? Should I be able to drop in the action into either stock, torque the action screws, and off I go? Or will I need a smith to do some final inletting and adjusting to get it to fit? My plan would be to shoot it without bedding and if it fits well, then take the gun to a smith to have it bedded eventually...unless its as accurate as it is today, then I probably wouldn't mess with it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I recently bought a McMillan edge for my Model Seven. I prefer the Bell and Carlson over the McMillan and it's not even close. I don't have any experience with a Manners.

OP
B
I recently bought a McMillan edge for my Model Seven. I prefer the Bell and Carlson over the McMillan and it's not even close. I don't have any experience with a Manners.

Really? Why d you like it better/what do you dislike about the McMillan?

I can only go by what I see on my computer screen but the fit and finish on the McMillan seems to be far better then my B&C. Just all around looks nicer and well done.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Really? Why d you like it better/what do you dislike about the McMillan?

I can only go by what I see on my computer screen but the fit and finish on the McMillan seems to be far better then my B&C. Just all around looks nicer and well done.

I prefer the grip on the B&C over the McMillan. The McMillan is about an 1" too long at the front end. It doesn't balance as well as the B&C does. The overall fit is better with the B&C than the McMillan. I will never buy a McMillan again.

OP
B
I prefer the grip on the B&C over the McMillan. The McMillan is about an 1" too long at the front end. It doesn't balance as well as the B&C does. The overall fit is better with the B&C than the McMillan. I will never buy a McMillan again.

Wow, good to know. Thanks.

I buy about 15-20 McMillans a year for different rifle projects. A majority in a Rem 700/Rem 700 clone style. Only have used a few Manners and I feel the McMillans are a much better fit and finish. There CNC inletting allow so many options. In a Rem 700 there must be at least 15 or so different combinations not including colors. Being 1" too long is only because that was the stock configuration you ordered. The Rem Compact is a super short forend.

The fill in the McMillan is superior to a B&C stock. Manners is equal to the McMillan quality but the customer service at McMiillan is tough to beat. Eileen Glass is a good POC for you at McMillan.

Let me know what you are looking for in a stock configuration and I will give you some suggestions. One thing I always do is order it unpainted.....then bed and fit the stock to the rifle......then tape off all bedded areas....then ship back for paint. Much more professionally done and a lot easier then dealing with a nice painted surface trying to keep bedding compound off/inletting for bedding compound relief etc.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I buy about 15-20 McMillans a year for different rifle projects. A majority in a Rem 700/Rem 700 clone style. Only have used a few Manners and I feel the McMillans are a much better fit and finish. There CNC inletting allow so many options. In a Rem 700 there must be at least 15 or so different combinations not including colors. Being 1" too long is only because that was the stock configuration you ordered. The Rem Compact is a super short forend.

The fill in the McMillan is superior to a B&C stock. Manners is equal to the McMillan quality but the customer service at McMiillan is tough to beat. Eileen Glass is a good POC for you at McMillan.

Let me know what you are looking for in a stock configuration and I will give you some suggestions. One thing I always do is order it unpainted.....then bed and fit the stock to the rifle......then tape off all bedded areas....then ship back for paint. Much more professionally done and a lot easier then dealing with a nice painted surface trying to keep bedding compound off/inletting for bedding compound relief etc.

I ordered it the same size as a factory(but supposedly lighter) and that's what I got. I haven't weighed the McMillan(with edge fill), but it didn't feel that much lighter than my B&C.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ll take a McMillan over a manners any day of the week. More options available and in my experience, the mcmillans are just a bit nicer. That’s not to say that the manners stocks aren’t nice, we hav one on a CZ Sonoran and it feels good but if I had it my way, I’d take a McMillan over the manners.

gbflyer

WKR
McMillan here. Excellent CS. I really tried Manners for my last one. The action is a Borden. McMillan salesman called Jim, got the dimensions and sent me a stock. Manners salesman told me to call a gunsmith.

No doubt Manners makes a quality product too. I might have caught someone on a bad day.

FURMAN

WKR
I would have to disagree with the, seemingly, majority in that I would take a Manners over McMillan any day but both are awesome stocks. I will say there is no way in hell I would spend $600 dollars on a stock and not bed the rifle right from the start.

gbflyer

WKR
I would have to disagree with the, seemingly, majority in that I would take a Manners over McMillan any day but both are awesome stocks. I will say there is no way in hell I would spend $600 dollars on a stock and not bed the rifle right from the start.

Agree with bedding for sure. I’ve never seen the perfect action to inlet fit, even with the expensive stuff.

I’ve had to send both back for improper inletting. But would run either brand with confidence depending on what stock model/design you prefer! I’ve started using AG Composites stocks recently and am very impressed. Their Alpine Hunter is the same weight as an EH1, is more rigid and the price and lead time is fantastic ($525 and <8 weeks). Super excited to be using them as stocks are my biggest wait in custom builds.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I love the AG composites. I have had several EH1s and several AGs. My AGs with 1" Decelerator weighed what my EH1s did with .5" Decelerators and around 4-5 oz less than an EH1 with the 1" pad. If AG composites has a style you like it would be my first choice.

OP
B
I’ve had to send both back for improper inletting. But would run either brand with confidence depending on what stock model/design you prefer! I’ve started using AG Composites stocks recently and am very impressed. Their Alpine Hunter is the same weight as an EH1, is more rigid and the price and lead time is fantastic ($525 and <8 weeks). Super excited to be using them as stocks are my biggest wait in custom builds.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike - I just PM'd you on my final plan. Going with the AG Composites. For those that may be reading or following this thread - the feedback out there that I poured over through this weekend was all very good on AG Composites.

OP
B
And...for anyone interested, I will have a Bell & Carlson stock for a short action Remington 700 that will be for sale soon. Black with the textured finish. In great shape and fits my what started as a Rem 700 CDL SF perfectly. PM if interested, otherwise it will be for sale in the next week or 2.

N2TRKYS

WKR
And...for anyone interested, I will have a Bell & Carlson stock for a short action Remington 700 that will be for sale soon. Black with the textured finish. In great shape and fits my what started as a Rem 700 CDL SF perfectly. PM if interested, otherwise it will be for sale in the next week or 2.

You should hang on to it, just in case you don't like the other stock better.

gbflyer

WKR
I just got my new McMillan Hunters Edge. It’s a Remington 700 SA inlet, blind magazine, speckle paint. 25.3oz with ADL trigger guard. I don’t have the action yet. The barrel and stock together are slightly over 4 pounds. Remington standard sporter contour.