Cow elk caliber for wife

I'm struggling to make a decision on this and could use some input.
My wife shot a synthetic .270 last weekend as a test and it was a bit much. I've considered a muzzle brake on my 30-.06 but am scared to do that. 7mm-.08 seems like a possibility and I hear a few people say .243 is reasonable. I borrowed a .243 and will try it this weekend but don't have access to a 7mm-08 to try.
Anyone feel like throwing their hat in the ring?
I was also thinking of a recoil pad on the .270 and telling her to tough it out.

541hunter

WKR
I'm struggling to make a decision on this and could use some input.
My wife shot a synthetic .270 last weekend as a test and it was a bit much. I've considered a muzzle brake on my 30-.06 but am scared to do that. 7mm-.08 seems like a possibility and I hear a few people say .243 is reasonable. I borrowed a .243 and will try it this weekend but don't have access to a 7mm-08 to try.
Anyone feel like throwing their hat in the ring?
I was also thinking of a recoil pad on the .270 and telling her to tough it out.

My wife, who didn't start shooting till a couple years ago, likes her 7mm08. For an elk round, I have her loaded up with a 150 grain eldx. It should put down an elk out to at least 300 yards. Hopefully we will put it to the test this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7-08 is a great round and the recoil is pretty low even in a light wt. rifle. For reference, I purchased a Tikka T3 Lite in 7-08 (7 lb. w/scope), for my 12 year old, then 80 lbs., son a few years ago and he never had any issues with the recoil. He killed a moose with it lat year.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Same as 541: this will be my wife's 3rd fall hunting. We started her out on a 22-250 for antelope. She was a great shot at 300 yards so we agreed we'd get to within 200.

Last fall we got dad got her a 243 with a brake on it. Kicks like a 22, so she can shoot it confidently. She killed 2 goats with it, one being at 317. Then a mule deer at 280. Then an elk at 240.

Confidence is the key. If they aren't comfortable at the range, the added stress in the field can lead to a terrible experience. Bullet placement trumps stopping power.

A pile of elk have been had with 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm projectiles. Have her choose what she can reliably shoot.

I did have her shoot the reduced recoil 125 gr SST offering that Hornady has out of my Tikka 06 and she didn't have any problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
Where in NM are you located? I'm having 6.5 creed built that should be done in a few weeks with a brake that you can try if your local.

My ex-wife loved her H&R 25-06. I cut the stock to fit her right and fitted a good pad to it and she loved it. The heavier barrel of the H&R really helped tame felt recoil for her. My 2nd (and last) wife uses a H&R youth 243 which fits her 5'0" frame perfectly and has almost zero recoil (it also fits perfectly in the back of an ATV rear box and makes a great little beat-around coyote-getter). I know not everybody is a fan of the single shot, but all of mine have been MOA out of the box with factory loads and for the price are great reliable weapons when paired with decent glass.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd say 7-08. I have one waiting for the kiddos to hunt. Yes a 243 is technically legal for elk and will kill an elk but shot placement is even more critical with the smaller diameter bullets and less energy (certainly want to put bullets in the right spot but if things are a tad off there is less margin). A nice recoil pad on a 7-08 is a pretty easy shooter for teens upward. For a few hundred yards they kill elk just fine.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shot placement is KEY and IMO bigger is usually better on elk..... But here is my 6 Creedmoor, basically a 243 on a cow elk at 485 yards. This young lady made a perfect shot.<br>[video=youtube_share;7VOIBzaaBsM]https://youtu.be/7VOIBzaaBsM[/video]

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

About the best way to make her never want to do it again.

We get quite a few wives/girlfriends/etc most years that want to learn how to shoot and/or hunt. None of them like recoil, yet lots will try not to let the significant other know that a gun isn’t enjoyable. Lay 223’s, 243/6mm CM, 6.5 Creeds, 7-08, 270, 308, 30/06, etc. side by side and let them shoot as they please, and the only rifles that get shot are the 223’s and 6mm’s. Almost to a one when asked say that their limit in the sub 8lb rifle is about the 6.5 Creedmoor/260.

Killing is about hitting, and hitting is about round counts. It needs to be fun to shoot for them to do it, and recoil isn’t fun. Were I in your shoes (and I am often) I wouldn’t even be looking at anything other than 243/6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor. Both will kill fine and actually get shot. Truthfully if she didn’t like the 270, you need to drop WAY down in recoil- 243 or 6mm Creedmoor.

7mm-08 is what I got my wife. Dropped her first cow with the 140gr superformance round at about 225 yds. I liked it so much I got my own and put down my first bull at about the same distance. He stumbled 30 yds. Its a great round, arguably better than the .270, which I put away when I got the '08. And its a nice gun to shoot at the range. Get a good recoil pad and get her comfortable with it using some reduced recoil rounds so its even more tame.

Dusty2426

WKR
My wife shoots a 6.5-284 with a break and 140 partitions. 9 for 9 on cow elk. 7-08 is another great option with quality bullet

hodgeman

WKR
My wife and son both did quite a bit of shooting with the 6.5 and 7-08...both are low recoil killing sticks.

Stock fit is more critical than actual cartridge, either of those in a rifle that fits her will do just fine.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
These little ladies shot my 12 pound 6 CM about 10 times each out to 400 yards with ease.
3ddceb9bd28146614668f215c5c17c87.jpg

5f25fcd364536ad102b20036414e934d.jpg

I have had issues with little people and 7-08s.

GotDraw?

WKR
It was a mistake was having her shoot that 270 with a hard butt plate. Of course it hurt.

She might be okay w/a good recoil pad, but I'd also vote 25-06 or 7-08.

Good to hear she's still game to try!

JL

CorbLand

WKR
.280 AI with a break would be a solid hitting round with minimal recoil.

I am really not one to band wagon but the 6.5 CM is a solid round. My girlfriend is 5’8” and 100 pounds and shoots my 6.5 with no problems at all. She loves it.

.280 AI with a break would be a solid hitting round with minimal recoil.

I am really not one to band wagon but the 6.5 CM is a solid round. My girlfriend is 5’8” and 100 pounds and shoots my 6.5 with no problems at all. She loves it.

5’8” and 100 lbs.? Whoa!

OP
seldomseensmith
It was a mistake was having her shoot that 270 with a hard butt plate. Of course it hurt.

She might be okay w/a good recoil pad, but I'd also vote 25-06 or 7-08.

Good to hear she's still game to try!

JL

Agreed. I have a poor perspective. It was a borrowed gun and I shot it first to give her perspective. I told her it will startle you but won't hurt. I was wrong. Didn't crush her but she only shot it twice and I could tell she was done. We are working through it. I have .243 for her to shoot this weekend and I'm leaning toward a 7mm-.08. I have 2 boys that will be hunting in a few years so spending some money on a gun they can all shoot seems worth it. She drew a Valle Vidal once in a lifetime hunt and is a backcountry nut so the gun is the only major hurtle to get over. I really appreciate all the input here. I went to the local gun shop and checked out the Tikka T3 and it seems like a gun worth investing in.