Cow elk caliber for wife

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
At the risk of sounding rude, if I had access to all the guns/calibers I’m considering, I wouldn’t be asking you guys. Would have been a simple problem to solve.
Also important to mention is that I appreciate the sentiment that accuracy trumps mass and velocity. I’ve never lost an elk and as a matter of fact I’ve never even had to track an elk that I’ve shot with a rifle. I’m not the best shot in the world but I keep my shots short (under 200 yards) and shoot 180 grain out of a 30-.06. A virtual death sentence imo.
So sure the .270 was dumb but live and learn. I get that this question is a can of worms but the likely outcome for me is that I have to make a semi blind choice at some point. Lucky for me my wife gets it on all levels. She too wants to be gunned for success. We haven’t bought beef in 4 years and will do our best to keep the dream alive. A tag for each of us this year so we are pumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven’t yet, check your private messages.

I don't think a .270 was dumb either... my wife is pretty petite and shoots a 30-06...
It's been said a lot, but I would go for the 7-08... my sister and 2 kid cousins all shoot them with no issues. I also have a 6.5 CM - I honestly feel that the 6.5 and 7-08 in lightweight rigs are pretty negligible recoil wise...

I would submit that the rifle will make a bigger difference then caliber in some cases... some guns, weight aside, just don't handle recoil as well... my Kimber Montana soaks up recoil quit a bit better then my wife's tikka... idk why, but it just does... and it's lighter.

The soft recoil pads on the savages are pretty recoil absorbent... I would say a savage light weight hunter or lady hunter in 7-08 or 6.5 cm would be easy shooting, and not break the bank and still be plenty for elk.

Not sure if it was mentioned - but if you handload, can make any caliber be what you want... my kid cousin's load was a 7-08 with 140 grain accubond doing 2500... killed elk every year with it the last 4 or so years.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of votes for the 7-08, it has one from me as well. I would stick with 6.5-7 mm bullets. (.264-284”)
For a lady, I would say 6.5x284, 6.5 CM, 284win, 7-08 etc. good bullet selection with factory.

6.5x55 or 257 Roberts are great too, just make sure you have +p loads with good bullet, Barnes TSX in 257 will work. Short action in an ultralight ruger or Featherweight with good bullet, less recoil than a 270 and she will carry it all day beside you.

My opinion. IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm struggling to make a decision on this and could use some input.
My wife shot a synthetic .270 last weekend as a test and it was a bit much. I've considered a muzzle brake on my 30-.06 but am scared to do that. 7mm-.08 seems like a possibility and I hear a few people say .243 is reasonable. I borrowed a .243 and will try it this weekend but don't have access to a 7mm-08 to try.
Anyone feel like throwing their hat in the ring?
I was also thinking of a recoil pad on the .270 and telling her to tough it

Telling her to tough it out, that she has to use a certain gun because you do, or that a certain caliber doesn’t have as much recoil as she thinks after she’s shot it are all super common statements made to new shooters/wives/girlfriends etc.
I started shooting a few years ago when I decided I wanted to go on my first elk hunt. I shot a 223. I loved it and I wanted to practice and go to the range. In fact, I shot about 300 rounds in preparation. I actually had options of what rifle I wanted to take on the hunt-243, 308 win and my pipsqueak 223. I shot them from all different positions-not just laying prone with a bipod and a sand bag. I made the most and best hits with the 223. So I decided I wanted to take it for my hunt (especially considering I was hitting at 440 yds more consistently with it than I was the 243.) I did a lot of research-some on here-about whether or not a 223 could kill an elk. I decided that it could-based on shot angle, placement, and ammo. If you think about it, shooting an elk with an arrow creates a smaller wound channel than a 223 and yet still is successful. With good bonded bullets in the 223, you will get complete penetration through an elk’s chest.
I learned how to run the 223 by myself. I learned marksmanship so I didn’t flinch when the gun went off (I even see the flash now which is really cool). I learned where to place shots depending on how the animal was standing. Point being I didn’t have to think about running the gun when it came time to go on the hunt.
After shooting the 223 for a while, I decided I wanted something that could be used for everything. While the 223 can work for elk it’s probably not the best option. I was deciding between the 243 and the 6.5 creedmor. I went with the 6.5 creedmor because I can get good quality ammo virtually anywhere. Im also getting into long range shooting, and just started with a 308. Even now, 15-20 rounds in I’m putting on my shoulder protector with both the 6.5 creedmor and the 308.
Point of the story-if I had been forced into something with what I considered a lot of recoil I probably wouldn’t have continued shooting or hunting. I made a decision, with guidance, on what I was going to take on the hunt. I owned that decision and it made me confident.

codym

WKR
I'm struggling to make a decision on this and could use some input.
My wife shot a synthetic .270 last weekend as a test and it was a bit much. I've considered a muzzle brake on my 30-.06 but am scared to do that. 7mm-.08 seems like a possibility and I hear a few people say .243 is reasonable. I borrowed a .243 and will try it this weekend but don't have access to a 7mm-08 to try.
Anyone feel like throwing their hat in the ring?
I was also thinking of a recoil pad on the .270 and telling her to tough it

Telling her to tough it out, that she has to use a certain gun because you do, or that a certain caliber doesn’t have as much recoil as she thinks after she’s shot it are all super common statements made to new shooters/wives/girlfriends etc.
I started shooting a few years ago when I decided I wanted to go on my first elk hunt. I shot a 223. I loved it and I wanted to practice and go to the range. In fact, I shot about 300 rounds in preparation. I actually had options of what rifle I wanted to take on the hunt-243, 308 win and my pipsqueak 223. I shot them from all different positions-not just laying prone with a bipod and a sand bag. I made the most and best hits with the 223. So I decided I wanted to take it for my hunt (especially considering I was hitting at 440 yds more consistently with it than I was the 243.) I did a lot of research-some on here-about whether or not a 223 could kill an elk. I decided that it could-based on shot angle, placement, and ammo. If you think about it, shooting an elk with an arrow creates a smaller wound channel than a 223 and yet still is successful. With good bonded bullets in the 223, you will get complete penetration through an elk’s chest.
I learned how to run the 223 by myself. I learned marksmanship so I didn’t flinch when the gun went off (I even see the flash now which is really cool). I learned where to place shots depending on how the animal was standing. Point being I didn’t have to think about running the gun when it came time to go on the hunt.
After shooting the 223 for a while, I decided I wanted something that could be used for everything. While the 223 can work for elk it’s probably not the best option. I was deciding between the 243 and the 6.5 creedmor. I went with the 6.5 creedmor because I can get good quality ammo virtually anywhere. Im also getting into long range shooting, and just started with a 308. Even now, 15-20 rounds in I’m putting on my shoulder protector with both the 6.5 creedmor and the 308.
Point of the story-if I had been forced into something with what I considered a lot of recoil I probably wouldn’t have continued shooting or hunting. I made a decision, with guidance, on what I was going to take on the hunt. I owned that decision and it made me confident.

Good job putting in the range time..... Well did you get your elk???

OP
seldomseensmith
I am(really) also not trying to be rude.. but what do you want us to tell you? There's tons of firearms and most of them have a slightly different recoil impulse even if they are almost identical.

Do you want firearms that we think recoil far less than others in that category?
Do you want calibers? unfortunately as seen with the 270 I don't really think that is going to be of much help.

My 30-06 BAR recoils about equal to my 6.5 CM bolt gun, but its heavy.

Lots of great info IMO.

Good job putting in the range time..... Well did you get your elk???

I’d love to tell you yes, but unfortunately no! We had shoulder season cow elk tags. It was sooo hot, they were up higher than we had access to. The only elk we saw was running down the highway in a different state on the way to hunt deer! I did kill my first deer with the 223 and several more after that!

codym

WKR
I’d love to tell you yes, but unfortunately no! We had shoulder season cow elk tags. It was sooo hot, they were up higher than we had access to. The only elk we saw was running down the highway in a different state on the way to hunt deer! I did kill my first deer with the 223 and several more after that!

Congrats on the deer. It took me 5 years to kill my first bull with a bow, all the unfilled tags make it all the sweeter when you do connect and I'm sure you will!

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Might be able to help you out with a braked 270. PM if interestrd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

F250

FNG
My wife (5'2") has taken a couple elk and several deer with her Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas 7mm-08, lightweight Leupold 2-7X, 140 gr Federal Premium Nosler Partitions. She did not like the Browning A-Bolt .270 that was already in the safe. Very happy with the X-Bolt.

MHWASH

WKR
My boys have killed deer, elk and moose with 120 Barnes TTSX IN 7-08. I think this would be a great choic for your wife.

gbflyer

WKR
Once owned a Remington 700 Classic in .250 Savage. What a sweet rifle, great caliber for new shooters and plenty adequate killing ability at normal ranges. It now lives in Mexico along with a bunch of others that some folks helped themselves to, but I always figured I’d train my kids on that one.