Older Remington 700 upgrade to an X-Mark trigger?

I have a Remington 700 that I got probably somewhere around 2003 (pre x-mark triggers and pre-recall). I'd like to put a new trigger assembly in it but don't want to spend $125+ on an aftermarket trigger (I won't shoot it that often). I was browsing eBay and see the newer X-Mark triggers on there that guys have taken off to upgrade to aftermarket triggers and I'm curious if I can just buy one of those and put it in my gun, and how easy that is to do. I see guys on there warn to make sure to have the work done by a competent gunsmith, but I'm curious if that's more of a disclaimer than anything.

It seems to me like the trigger should just "drop in".

Anyone know anything about them?

Some of the xmarks had a recall.

I’d spend the xtra and get a timney or a trigger tech (my preference). You can usually find them on sale at one time or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with the above, I'd go Trigger Tech, Timney and in that order, BUT since you don't want to spend much money, why don't you send your original (Walker) trigger here for $65 and have it blue printed? Our Services.

The following is my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it, but I wouldn't pick-up an Xmark or Xmark Pro trigger out of a ditch.

OP
cornfedkiller
I have to agree with the above, I'd go Trigger Tech, Timney and in that order, BUT since you don't want to spend much money, why don't you send your original (Walker) trigger here for $65 and have it blue printed? Our Services.

The following is my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it, but I wouldn't pick-up an Xmark or Xmark Pro trigger out of a ditch.

Awesome..I might give them a call and see what they can tell me!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You're going backward going from the old style to the newer xmark, the old style can be tuned up by COMPETENT folks to break nicely. That is why you see folks buying up the old style triggers from folks that upgrade. There's not much love for the x-mark.

OP
cornfedkiller
You're going backward going from the old style to the newer xmark, the old style can be tuned up by COMPETENT folks to break nicely. That is why you see folks buying up the old style triggers from folks that upgrade. There's not much love for the x-mark.

I was going to try to lighten my Walker factory trigger using some of the tutorials I read online, but I cannot get the dang sear engagement screw out no matter how hard I try. Its been soaking in penetrating lube for the past 2 days and I can't get it to budge, and I'm starting to ruin the head on it.

jut weighing in with my $0.02 I have three remington's. All are bought in the last 5 years. All wearing timmeny triggers. It is a safety issue for me but I also lightened them up while I replaced them. One of the reasons I probably won't buy another 700 as well.

Depending on how easy it is to get your action in and out of the stock, the trigger install is a snap. You ]tube has some good videos. takes about 5 mins. pay attention to the torque specs on the action screws.

2five7

WKR
Dang, you guys already told him how bad the xmark triggers are, I was gonna offer him a straight up trade for his old one :)

deadwolf

WKR

In agreement with Pods8, depending on what style trigger you have you may be better off to keep it and tune it. Have you identified exactly what trigger you have? If you don’t want to shell out the $125 for a Timney or TT I’d try to find a 40x to put in it.

OP
cornfedkiller
In agreement with Pods8, depending on what style trigger you have you may be better off to keep it and tune it. Have you identified exactly what trigger you have? If you don’t want to shell out the $125 for a Timney or TT I’d try to find a 40x to put in it.

Its a Walker. I'm sending if off to a guy that tunes them, and he's going to see if he can get the screw out and get it all tuned up. If he can, I'll go that route, and if he can't, I'll pick up a timney for it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!