Cooper Backcountry M92, 6.5x284

I’ve been wanting a Cooper for quite a while and finally “pulled the trigger” on this Backcountry in 6.5x284. I mounted a Vortex Razor LH HD 3-15x42 in Talley lightweight rings. After attempting to adjust the Trigger Tech down to the pull weight I like and not being able to do so, I called both Triggertech and Cooper and got the same answer: with the heavy firing pin spring that Cooper uses in these rifles, the Triggertech won’t adjust to the advertised 1.5lb minimum(2.5# was as low as I could get it).....they even state this on their website. So I ordered a Jewell without a bolt release and now I’m set up and ready to go! At 6 lbs, 15.7 oz, I know this isn’t a long range rifle but I’m anxious to see just how far I can be effective with it.....not that it really matters, as I bought it to use primarily as a guide rifle. I’m hoping it will shoot 140 VLDs well since they shoot so good in all my other 6.5s. I’d be interested to hear any reports from anyone that has used this model at any reasonable long range!

Attachments

• D7F45E4C-6A93-410C-B8AF-0652B9FC5387.jpg
    D7F45E4C-6A93-410C-B8AF-0652B9FC5387.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 107
  • F13EBB0D-BB29-4CCC-BD46-BC469DCADD9A.jpg
    F13EBB0D-BB29-4CCC-BD46-BC469DCADD9A.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 99

Jardo

WKR
I swear I saw a post from Mike at cooper firearms where he says all 92 Backcountry rifles will come with a jewel trigger. I just got mine. Guess I need to check and see if I got a jewel or some other trigger.

I'm going to go look up that thread. It was the thread were cooper announced the development of the backcountry. If mine doesn't have a jewel trigger, I'm gonna be upset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
In the thread titled "coopers new model 92 backcountry" started by Robby, post #23 by cooper firearms of Montana states:

"Jewell triggers were chosen for this rifle, as we feel they offer the most adjustability and well, it’s the best trigger you can put on a rifle."

No mention that jewel triggers are an option.

I don't think my 92 has a jewel trigger but I bought thinking it had one mostly because it said so in this post. Anyone know how to tell?

Looks like I need to call the factory tomorrow and find out hats going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I was under the impression they only came with jewel triggers. I'll have to check mine and see. I would be a bit aggravated if it wasn't a jewel, because when you pay close to 3k on a gun it should be as advertised by the company.

jhm2023

WKR
Here is the post that Cooper firearms posted to rokslide in 2016.

The model 92 Backcountry rifle is one of the newest offerings from Cooper Firearms. It features a lightweight action weighing only 11 ounces, and a lightweight stock weighing just 20 ounces, both of which are manufactured by Cooper. With careful selection of materials, we’ve been able to produce an ultra light rifle capable of chambering belted magnum calibers that weighs just 5.75 pounds, or 92 ounces, serving as its namesake. Jewell triggers were chosen for this rifle, as we feel they offer the most adjustability and well, it’s the best trigger you can put on a rifle. Sporting a 24 inch light contour fluted barrel, the rifle balances nicely. At the end of the barrel is a Cooper-designed muzzle brake that tames recoil amazingly. This rifle features a three round detachable magazine and a 7075 aluminum trigger guard to reduce weight further. In addition to being incredibly light, the Backcountry rifle comes standard with an all-stainless steel action to resist even the nastiest of weather. Traditional chromoly is also available upon request. All calibers in the 30-06 family as well as belted magnum family are available up to .338 caliber, as well as the 6.5x284 Norma. Lastly, this rifle will carry the same accuracy guarantee as all Cooper centerfire rifles up to .338 caliber, which is ½ MOA at 100 yards.

M92 Backcountry
• lightweight Cooper model 92 action
• Jewell trigger
• 24” fluted barrel with muzzlebrake
• Detachable three round magazine
• Advanced composite lightweight Cooper stock
• all-stainless steel action (chromoly available on request)
• all standard long action and belted magnum (up to 338 caliber) calibers available
• 5.75 lbs
• ½ MOA accuracy guarantee

BigJoeXD

FNG
I received my Cooper Backcountry back in April, placed the order in January and included Jewell in the order. About a month into waiting for delivery my dealer called me and asked if the TriggerTech would be ok, as Jewell's were no longer offered...

Don't mean to hijack this but I'm curious, has anyone had any magazine issues with their Cooper 92?

Dennis

WKR
Range testing my Cooper 6.5 X 284. After reading Rob Denning's excellent book "Hunting Big Mule Deer" I too decided 600 yards was far enough for me and my rifle in hunting situations. I have had my rifle for about 18 months and it has become one of my favorite rifles. My load data is 53.5 grains of H4831sc, Federal 210 Match Primer, Lapu brass with Berger 140 grain Hunting VLD bullets. It is scoped with a Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret. The rifle seems to shoot best with a dirty barrel. While the rifle always shoots well, I was really surprised by it's accuracy.6.5 X 284 @ 300 yards.jpg6.5 X 284 @ 400 yards.jpg6.5 X 284 @ 500 yards.jpg

Attachments

• 6.5 X 284 @ 200 yard Cold barrel Zero.jpg
    6.5 X 284 @ 200 yard Cold barrel Zero.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 6.5 X 284 @ 600 yards.jpg
    6.5 X 284 @ 600 yards.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57

codym

WKR
Dennis that gun is a shooter! I have really been interested in a 6.5x284 for sometime. Need to finish my creedmoor build and then I will start looking for a LA to build the 6.5x 284. How's the recoil on that light rifle? What does it weigh with your optics?

OP
TexasOutfitter
Cooper told me they stopped using Jewell Triggers sometime last summer......my test target was shot June '17 and had the TT, so anything after that should be TT instead of Jewell. A Jewell will drop right in, as mine did....no problem! I've only tried a couple of loads so far and getting just over .5". No doubt in my mind I'll be able to get .5" or better....love the rifle!

OP
TexasOutfitter
Range testing my Cooper 6.5 X 284. After reading Rob Denning's excellent book "Hunting Big Mule Deer" I too decided 600 yards was far enough for me and my rifle in hunting situations. I have had my rifle for about 18 months and it has become one of my favorite rifles. My load data is 53.5 grains of H4831sc, Federal 210 Match Primer, Lapu brass with Berger 140 grain Hunting VLD bullets. It is scoped with a Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret. The rifle seems to shoot best with a dirty barrel. While the rifle always shoots well, I was really surprised by it's accuracy.View attachment 73183View attachment 73184View attachment 73185
Is yours a Backcountry?