.300 Weatherby Load information

wgood

FNG
Hello all,
So I recently acquired a Remington 700 in .300 Weatherby. I think I am going to shoot 200 grain accubonds or partitions out of them. Which bullet would you guys use? It will mainly be used for hunting elk and deer. Also, which powder do you guys like? I have quite a bit of IMR 4831 but was looking at Retumbo and H-1000 as well. I could also be swayed into using a different grain of bullet as well, just don't want to go into anything else than 180 grain and try to stay 210 grain or lower.
Thank you!

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,
So I recently acquired a Remington 700 in .300 Weatherby. I think I am going to shoot 200 grain accubonds or partitions out of them. Which bullet would you guys use? It will mainly be used for hunting elk and deer. Also, which powder do you guys like? I have quite a bit of IMR 4831 but was looking at Retumbo and H-1000 as well. I could also be swayed into using a different grain of bullet as well, just don't want to go into anything else than 180 grain and try to stay 210 grain or lower.
Thank you!

I’m currently running a 212 ELD-X with 82 gr of H1000 and it’s extremely accurate out of my gun. I’m right at 3,000 fps with a 24” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wgood

FNG
I’m currently running a 212 ELD-X with 82 gr of H1000 and it’s extremely accurate out of my gun. I’m right at 3,000 fps with a 24” barrel.

How do you like the ELD-X? I've heard various reviews on them

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I really like them so far. I shot a bull last year at 550 and he didn’t go 5 feet.

Jardo

WKR
What ranges are you comfortable stretching out to? I own a 300 weatherby mark 5 and use 165 grain for deer and 180 grain for elk but a long shot for this gun is 300 yards. I don't have a turret scope or a xmas tree reticle so any elevation adjustments would be Kentucky style.

If shooting within 300 yards, I'd stick with a 165 to 180 grain in partition or bonded core or ttsx. If this is going to be long range, look at accubond lr or bergers. I would be hesitant to run the eld-x just in case you had a close shot. I killed a deer a long time ago with a cup and core 180 grain ballistic tip and nearly decapitated the deer. Good thing it was a neck shot. Cup and core eld-x bullets may grenade at close range 300 wby velocities. That said I've not shot an eld-x from my weatherby... just going off what others have said about the ELD-X performance this year.

I've always used 7828. I don't use this gun much anymore. I like my mountain rifles to be light so the weatherby has been living in the safe for over a decade. I drew a New Mexico tag this year so I may take her out and play with her this summer and see if I want to use it on the hunt or stick to my new lightweight cooper backcountry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
W

wgood

FNG
What ranges are you comfortable stretching out to? I own a 300 weatherby mark 5 and use 165 grain for deer and 180 grain for elk but a long shot for this gun is 300 yards. I don't have a turret scope or a xmas tree reticle so any elevation adjustments would be Kentucky style.

If shooting within 300 yards, I'd stick with a 165 to 180 grain in partition or bonded core or ttsx. If this is going to be long range, look at accubond lr or bergers. I would be hesitant to run the eld-x just in case you had a close shot. I killed a deer a long time ago with a cup and core 180 grain ballistic tip and nearly decapitated the deer. Good thing it was a neck shot. Cup and core eld-x bullets may grenade at close range 300 wby velocities. That said I've not shot an eld-x from my weatherby... just going off what others have said about the ELD-X performance this year.

I've always used 7828. I don't use this gun much anymore. I like my mountain rifles to be light so the weatherby has been living in the safe for over a decade. I drew a New Mexico tag this year so I may take her out and play with her this summer and see if I want to use it on the hunt or stick to my new lightweight cooper backcountry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is gonna be most go to rifle this year I think, so shots could definitely vary. Anywhere from 50-60 yards up where one of my elk permits is to 3,4,500 yards for my late cow tags and whitetail. I know, the weatherby at 50 paces isn't gonna look pretty when somethin gets whacked, and if I know I'm gonna be pushing brush I'll pack a different rifle. Just interested to see the capabilities of the cartridge, as I've never owned a weatherby before. When you load 7828 are you on the higher end of the load spectrum? It seems I keep hearing they shoot better when it's near max pressure