Custom 1911 - Double Stack 10mm/45 Super

treillw

WKR
Are there any people out there who make custom 1911s similar to a custom rifle builder? Once again nobody makes what I'm looking for - double stack 1911 in 10mm or 45 super with a light rail, night sights, awesome trigger, and 4" or 5" barrel that will shoot the hottest loads.

I came across a STI 2011 this weekend. It was so close to being perfect. Except the magazine would not release and you had to forcefully rip it out of the gun while jamming the release button down. Clearly there was something wrong with it, as I hope this isn't their standard of quality for $2000. My other complaint about it was that between the safety and flared magwell, I found myself running out of vertical grip space.

Rock Island Armory makes a double stack 10, but it doesn't have a weapon light rail.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Nighthawk Custom makes 1911s in 10mm

Thanks GLB. I don't believe I've seen any double stacks though. Do you know if they make them?

All -
I forgot to mention that I'd prefer to keep the price somewhat down to earth on this. Around $1000 would be great, $2000 ballpark had better be pretty incredible for me to shell out that much on a handgun.

GLB

WKR
^^^ I'm not sure if they do. You would have to call them to see if they could build you one. However it's probably not going to be in your price range. Maybe consider the Glock 20.

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
if you find anyone to build a custom 1911 for $1000 that is quality you better take that name to your grave or order all the guns you want for the rest of your and your kids lives cause they are about to be booked through till hell freezes over. Most CUSTOMS I've seen are now $2500/$3000+++

codym

WKR
I'm pretty sure NHC has double stack options just not sure it it's in the 10. I would also give Guncrafters inc a call. These are both high end builders with price tags to match.

TauPhi111

WKR
It's not double stack, but the Springfield TRP operator in 10mm is one pretty gun. I think they run 1400-1500 on gunbroker. They also just game out with a long slide, high sights with a red dot version just recently that is also a real looker.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I am all for any and all excuses to buy a new firearm, and “needing” something has never been a prerequisite here in the US but just wondering if it is so hard to find what you are looking for because there are better tools for the job you want doing. What do you have in mind for the gun? Is it people protection, animal, monster hunting, just fun gun? Curious what your reasons are for not going with the latest gen G40 or their long slide version? Like I said though if you want it and have the $$ for it then I am all for buying new guns.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, a gun of this as a custom build is 3k+ for a quality smith. With the STI, if it was new, sometimes mags stick a little when new. A little graphite could help reduce the friction. Also with a 2011 grip, you can squeeze enough to cause the mag to stick. For more vertical grip, you would have to send the grip away to a company like extreme shooters and have them do a double undercut and you can swap the beavertail safety out to one that will allow you to get a little highr on the gun.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I am all for any and all excuses to buy a new firearm, and “needing” something has never been a prerequisite here in the US but just wondering if it is so hard to find what you are looking for because there are better tools for the job you want doing. What do you have in mind for the gun? Is it people protection, animal, monster hunting, just fun gun? Curious what your reasons are for not going with the latest gen G40 or their long slide version? Like I said though if you want it and have the $$ for it then I am all for buying new guns.

Uses = all the above, with a focus on protection.

The Glock 20 is high on my list. Put a good 1911 trigger into a Glock and I'll buy them all day. I am currently not crazy about their triggers however. IMO (with all the other parts being quality), the trigger is the most important piece of a handgun. It is the link between the shooter and making the gun go bang and can have a huge impact on how accurate the gun is - shoot a gun with a laser and you'll see what I mean. It really makes you see how much your sights dance around while your trying to break off the shot.

As for the Glock being a better firearm, I don't think we will have a winner in this discussion on any internet forum :)

Wapiti1

WKR
Dan Wesson Bruin long slide, or Razorback RZ-10. Not double stack, but both really nice pistols.

For double stack, the EAA Witness is a solid choice. I've had a couple and they were solid. Good triggers. They offer several configurations (steel, polymer, alloy frames, different barrel lengths) in 10mm. I find the grip on the Witness to be very comfortable and easy to shoot with stout loads.

Just a couple more ideas in your price range.

Jeremy

I also have a Tanfoglio (imported by EAA). I like it. It’s not a 1911, but it’s similar in size, all metal construction, double stack magazine, and has a crisp single action trigger. It’s kind of like Jeff Cooper’s Bren 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
SVI could probably do what you want if you're willing to spend $3k or more and wait a year or two. I shot one with a 6" barrel in .40s&w at a uspsa match. What a pistol! Hitting a 6" plate at 25 as fast as the sights settled was quite easy compared to my glock 34.

doc88

FNG
Thanks GLB. I don't believe I've seen any double stacks though. Do you know if they make them?

All -
I forgot to mention that I'd prefer to keep the price somewhat down to earth on this. Around $1000 would be great, $2000 ballpark had better be pretty incredible for me to shell out that much on a handgun.
It would be tough to get a custom 1911, reliable, nice trigger in that price range. I have and compete with double stack 1911's a.k.a. 2011's. They are a pleasure to shoot and accurate. 2lb triggers. But for the very same applications you are describing I use a Glock 21/20 with adjustable Dawson night sites and a nice trigger job. It's easy to shoot, no safeties, accurate, and 100% RELIABLE. It goes in the truck with me and on my hip hunting each time. I say G20/21 because I actually interchange a G20 (10mm) upper to my G21 (45ACP) frame and just use
10mm mags. 1911's can be finicky especially out of their 45 ACP single stack configuration.

You need to look at either getting a used Para-USA P14-45 or a Remington R1 Double stack 45 . These have fully supported barrels so they will support the higher pressures of the 45 super. They have steel frames and some models have rails. The slides and frames use standard springs for upgrades.