Browning X-Bolt reviews?

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone put some time behind the Browning X-bolts? Fit and finish seem nice on the ones I've looked at. I have an older A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30-06 and really like it. No problems over the years. Just curious if anyone here has had issues with the X-Bolts.

I'm shopping for a 7mm-08 for my wife/kid to elk/deer hunt with. No way am I going to put them behind my lightweight -06.

ssliger

WKR
Has anyone put some time behind the Browning X-bolts? Fit and finish seem nice on the ones I've looked at. I have an older A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30-06 and really like it. No problems over the years. Just curious if anyone here has had issues with the X-Bolts.

I'm shopping for a 7mm-08 for my wife/kid to elk/deer hunt with. No way am I going to put them behind my lightweight -06.

I don’t have an in depth review. But I got one of the first 7mm WSM they made 10 years ago. It’s the hunter medallion edition. It’s still my primary rifle. Never had one issue except getting the trigger adjusted lower than it would let me. I’m not a big time shooter, but it hits where I aim it every time. It’s a dream to shoot still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
The Xbolt HC Speed I bought has been consistent in accuracy and feeding. I would not have any issue buying another.

I believe Browning is changing the twist rates on a few calibers. Will stabilize heavier bullets.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I purchased the X Bolt 300 WM 3 years ago. Mounted a average Vortex PST on it and it is suitable out to 600 so far. Will do more, but I lost interest in it, as I have since acquired 2 other rifles. Other than weight, I have no complaints

2five7

WKR
I have a couple, they both shoot great, and like you said fit and finish is very good. Feels like a lot more fun than you paid for. Even the triggers are pretty good with an aftermarket spring in them. Breaks clean at just under 2 lbs.

rlmmarine

WKR
I have a medallion series I love I bought a stainless stalker that shot great but the coating on the stock came off. I talked with browning at the nra show and they said they have had lots of problems with the spray on adhesive in wet climates.

In summary stay with a wood stock and they shoot great

hodgeman

WKR
I had zero issues with a Stainless Stalker I had in a .270WIN. It was a 3/4 MOA rifle with several factory hunting rounds. Pretty hard to not like that.

I'd have another one without hesitation.

Awhile back I was nervous to make the switch over to Browning. People say they're accurate, sure, but the company offers no guarantees.

I ran across a hot deal on a Long Range Stalker in 7mag and figured what the hell... if I don't like it or it doesn't shoot, I'll just sell it off.

I regret that I didn't check them out sooner. This gun is the least pickiest gun I have, most factory loads shoot into an inch or less. The bolt is Tikka smooth. I will say the trigger isn't quite where I'd like it, but its more than serviceable with an aftermarket spring... also, Timney is making an aftermarket trigger for them now as well. The recoil is non-existent with the brake on(make sure to wear hearing protection!).

I liked it so much I'm selling my Tikka T3x SL Creedmoor and buying(okay, bought it today, you got me) a Western Hunter in Creedmoor. Yep, shoots as good as the other Browning I have. Check them out, they're pretty much the Hells Canyon Speed minus the flutes and Cerakote... the flutes don't save much weight(IMO), and you can have it cerakoted to whatever color you want and still come out money ahead.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the solid feedback! Very much appreciated.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have a 300WSM composite stalker. It is a great rifle. Fit and finish are very nice and accuracy is surprising to say the least. I have gotten 1/2 minute groups regularly out of Nosler factory loaded 180 AB and 190 ABLR (my current favorite load). It is decently lightweight and I was able to get my factory trigger adjusted to break at a crisp 2.5 lbs.

My only two complaints are that the stock is too flexible to properly load a bipod without barrel contact and the mag length is too short for my VLD handloads to touch the lands.

I've got some time behind a 300 win mag xbolt long range stalker. Very nice rifle, action is extremely smooth, recoil is very manageable. Shoots very well. I don't print groups with it, so can't comment on that but I trust it.

Trigger is a little heavy but has just no travel at all, it's a very crisp wall. I've got an mcarbo spring waiting to go in it when I get motivated.

EastMT

WKR
I’ve shot the Hells Canyon 300 WSM, 1/2” groups with hand loaded 180 gr partitions and Federal Factory red box 180 gr partitions. Only one I’ve shot, but was pretty impressed as I like a tang safety and the bolt release button was handy also.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My friend has one of the long range versions in 300wm, it’s pretty sweet, I only got to shoot steel plates with it out to about 300m so I can’t comment on its accuracy but my buddy shoots much farther with it and loves it.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Have the Stainless Western Hunter in 7mm RM and am very pleased with it. I grew up on the a-bolt stainless stalkers in .270 and .300, so the only negative review I can give is the plastic magazine vs metal box with hinge on the a-bolt. Other than that it a solid rifle.

robie

WKR
I was looking at this gun but decided to go Christensen Arms instead. I liked the trigger tech and saw several people getting great results with it.

ericF

WKR
I've had a 270 WSM stainless stalker for about 5 years now. It shoots about 3/4 MOA with hand loads and haven't really tried any factory ammo in it. Unfortunately it has been relegated to the back of the safe through no fault of its own. I switched to suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor for Deer and Antelope. The 270 WSM is a great round, but it gets sandwiched in between the 300 WSM for Elk and now the Creedmoor for the smaller game. If I ever draw sheep or goat, then it will come back out again. So far no issues with the stock, but CO isn't a wet climate.

Redman

FNG

I have one in .308 HC Speed Rifle that I won from goHunt.
I picked that caliber for the same reason you are looking. My daughter who is 14 will be using it to hunt elk this fall. It shoots good and with the muzzle brake my daughter likes it. Would I pay the retail price for one? No, I can think of a few other rifle manufacturers that I would go with first. This is the only Browning I own and I just don't see the price point. I have no real issues with the rifle, good trigger, feeds good with the detachable magazine, like the bronze metal color, stock is ok, great recoil pad. It doesn't feel as good in my hands as my other rifles I own. Hope this helps..

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
I have an X-Bolt Western Hunter in 300 WSM. The trigger was not the greatest so I changed the spring to a MCARBO ($18) and it made a world of difference. Overall, it's a great gun.

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big fan of the X-Bolts, admittedly for a personal reason- I am a left-eye dominant, left-handed rifle shooter who grew up shooting righty rifles. So the tang safety is far more intuitive for me than adjusting grip to reach the traditional rocker safety or wing safety.

That said, the accuracy on my 308 medium threaded barrel is great, and I’m working out the 300 WSM stainless stalker. It’s been MOA at 200 yds.

The only issues I’ve experienced: occasional weak extraction if I cycle the bolt too fast on the fat WSM cartridge. I really like the magazines though one I left in a freezing garage all winter has a spring that is sluggish. I need to order a replacement for it.

No issues with the stock finish though I haven’t put them through extended wet weather conditions.