Feedback on Cooper Backcountry in 30-06

barrister

WKR
I'm continuing to consider my next rifle purchase and I appreciate the information this forum has provided on a couple of my prior posts. As I continue in the process, I'm looking at the Cooper M92 Backcountry in 30-06. I'd love to get any feedback you may have on this rifle and caliber combination, but specifically I have a few questions: (1) how is the recoil in this gun with the muzzle brake removed (given how light it is); (2) do you hunt with the muzzle brake in place and if so, how do you handle the noise, debris issues from prone position, etc. while in the field; and (3) if you remove the muzzle brake to go from bench to hunting, how much adjustment is needed on the rifle's zero. I have never shot, let alone hunted, with a gun sporting a muzzle brake.

For comparison purposes, I didn't find shooting a 30-06 Tikka T3x to be unmanageable for 20-30 shots on the bench. However, I found the same gun in 300 Win Mag to be very unpleasant from shot number one. I have a Thompson Center Venture in 300 Win Mag (around 7 pounds bare rifle weight) and I don't have any issue shooting bench sessions of 20-40 rounds.

I remain torn between a Cooper in 30-06 and a Bergara Premier Series Stalker in that same caliber. These guns aren't readily available for handling in my area, so your feedback is much appreciated.

Jardo

WKR
I just ordered one in 280 AI. Should have it the 1st week of June. I've owned a Rem 700 mountain rifle in 270 win for 20 years and it's manageable albeit about 1 lb heavier. I am becoming more and more resistant to heavy recoil. I was originally going to buy this in 300 win mag but when I looked at the ballistics with the 280 AI compared to the 7mm mag and 300 win mag, I knew the 280ai was the right compromise.

This is going to be my elk rig. I've already purchased a Swarovski z5 that weighs 16 ozs. My all in weight loaded should be about 7 lbs.

I would think a 30-06 with a break should have a recoil somewhere between a 243 and 308 but that is only a guess. Without the break it will kick but should be manageable. My first rifle was a 300 weatherby mag so everything is pleasant to shoot after learning to hunt with that cannon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sykes

WKR
I've had two of the backcountry rifles, a 280ai and a 6.5-284. The muzzle break is very effective and also very loud. I never took mine off so not sure of the recoil without one. The rifles are very nice, love the Cooper action. Both were picky with ammunition but once you find what they like they were very accurate. The 280ai shot factory nosler 160 partitions very well, 1/2". The 6.5-284 didn't like any factory ammo that I tried but with 4831 sc and 140 Berger vld it would shoot 1/2" groups. Very nice rifles to carry out hunting.

ChrisAU

WKR
I just ordered one in 280 AI. Should have it the 1st week of June. I've owned a Rem 700 mountain rifle in 270 win for 20 years and it's manageable albeit about 1 lb heavier. I am becoming more and more resistant to heavy recoil. I was originally going to buy this in 300 win mag but when I looked at the ballistics with the 280 AI compared to the 7mm mag and 300 win mag, I knew the 280ai was the right compromise.

This is going to be my elk rig. I've already purchased a Swarovski z5 that weighs 16 ozs. My all in weight loaded should be about 7 lbs.

I would think a 30-06 with a break should have a recoil somewhere between a 243 and 308 but that is only a guess. Without the break it will kick but should be manageable. My first rifle was a 300 weatherby mag so everything is pleasant to shoot after learning to hunt with that cannon.

Just ordered and first week of June? I ordered my 280 AI Backcountry in January and am still being told end of June/beginning of July...sad face.

Mine is also getting a Z5.

texag10

WKR
You can put the weight of the Tikka and the Cooper all up in this to get an idea of the increase in recoil. You might also figure out what the thread pitch on the Cooper is and get a side discharge brake for it to avoid having it kick up as much dirt and dust when shooting prone.

choovhntr

WKR
You can put the weight of the Tikka and the Cooper all up in this to get an idea of the increase in recoil. You might also figure out what the thread pitch on the Cooper is and get a side discharge brake for it to avoid having it kick up as much dirt and dust when shooting prone.

I’m putting a side port on my backcountry tomorrow. Mine is a 300 win mag. I’m curious to see the difference over the factory brake. I’ll post what I find after I shoot it. Thread pitch is 1/2 x 28.

choovhntr

WKR
I’m putting a side port on my backcountry tomorrow. Mine is a 300 win mag. I’m curious to see the difference over the factory brake. I’ll post what I find after I shoot it. Thread pitch is 1/2 x 28.

Been playing around with the new brake on my 300 win mag. There is a noticeably difference between the stock brake and the 5 port I put on. The new brake is quite a bit larger and heavier so it does affect the balance of the gun somewhat. Not terrible though. To me the purchase was worth it for the reduced muzzle flip and no more dirt kicking up when prone. I can easily stay in the scope now after the shot whereas it was a little challenging with the factory brake. May not be a problem with the 30-06 though vs the 300 mag.

I have no input on the rifle itself, however, some generalizations -

Theres no way to know how much different the POI will be with and without the brake - every gun is different. Yours may have no difference, while another guys has a 4" left, and yet another has a 2" drop.

Hearing protection, while using a brake, is a must. A muzzle brake greatly increases the noise level. A standard gunshot without a brake will damage your hearing. With a brake... its much worse. I know some 'macho' guys will say "oh you don't need that s--t it don't hurt me"... just wait until you're 65 and can't hear.

jhm2023

WKR
I have a backcountry in 7 rem mag and the recoil with the factory brake is right about the same as my wife's 6.5 creedmoor, so not much. I have yet to take the brake off and probably never will. The place I shoot for a "range" is an old gravel pit and quite a bit of sand and small gravel gets kicked up. This doesn't concern me a whole lot for hunting because grass and stuff helps a good bit and it is something I can deal with. I remedied the problem at the range by shooting prone from the bed of my truck.

Jardo

WKR
Finally picked up my backcountry 280ai today. Spent the evening mounting the Z5 and cleaning the bore. The factory only oils it after they shoot the 3 shot group so the bore was dirty.

So far I'm very happy with it. This rig weighs 2 lbs less than my 270 rem lss mountain rifle. Great lines, smooth bolt and the trigger is awesome.

Tomorrow I am gonna break her in and run the ladder loads. If I have time, I'll try to remove the brake and fire a shot to see how much difference it makes. That said, I am doubtful I will hunt with the brake on. I fired my ar15 with a brake once and I'll never do that again... thought my ears were going to bleed. There's no way I'm hunting with muffs... even the game ears feel weird to me.

I'll let y'all know how things turn out tomorrow. Stay tuned.

ChrisAU

WKR
Finally picked up my backcountry 280ai today. Spent the evening mounting the Z5 and cleaning the bore. The factory only oils it after they shoot the 3 shot group so the bore was dirty.

So far I'm very happy with it. This rig weighs 2 lbs less than my 270 rem lss mountain rifle. Great lines, smooth bolt and the trigger is awesome.

Tomorrow I am gonna break her in and run the ladder loads. If I have time, I'll try to remove the brake and fire a shot to see how much difference it makes. That said, I am doubtful I will hunt with the brake on. I fired my ar15 with a brake once and I'll never do that again... thought my ears were going to bleed. There's no way I'm hunting with muffs... even the game ears feel weird to me.

I'll let y'all know how things turn out tomorrow. Stay tuned.

I assume you ordered a standard rifle? All I did was shorten the LOP a little bit and customize the serial number and bam 6-7 month lead time...

Jardo

WKR
I assume you ordered a standard rifle? All I did was shorten the LOP a little bit and customize the serial number and bam 6-7 month lead time...

I actually bought one on gunbroker. It has a cerakote finish and does not have a jewel trigger.

Jardo

WKR
Spent the day running ladders through my 280ai. Seems to like imr 4350 with 160 g accubonds. Got a .25" group with 57 grains.

I also took a shot without the brake and I would say the brake reduces recoil by 45-50%. With the brake it was comfy and felt like an 8lb 243. Without the brake she kicked like a 300 win mag at 8lbs. This gun is super light and will punish the shooter without the brake.

That said, I'm not keen on recoil anymore. When I was younger, I could shoot my 300 wby all day and it didn't bother me. As I got older, I realized I didn't need or much care for the magnums. I also found out I hate carrying an 8.5 lb rifle all day long hunting elk in the high country. I went lightweight 20 years ago with a 270 rem mountain rifle and I've killed about 50 big game animals include a dozen elk with my 270.

I will hunt without the brake on my backcountry. I don't plan on shooting more than a few rounds though. The brake will damage your ears without hearing protection.

ChrisAU

WKR
That’s awesome! Hope I can get mine to shoot Nosler factory loads under 1”, as I don’t reload. Would like to take it up one day just don’t have the time.

And yeah, I’m an idiot who hunted with a muzzle brake this past year on a Kimber 308 without hearing protection. I honestly couldn’t tell a difference between it and my non-braked 338 WM as far as noise. I’ll keep some ear plugs around my neck when stand hunting, and just suffer through a shot or two per season when stalking.