6.5 Creedmoor vs 308

super

Banned
I'm looking to purchase a new rifle. I'm looked through forums at nosia trying to compare 6.5 vs 308. The information I'm truly looking for I cant find. That is these 2 calibers at close range. I like the idea of the 6.5 for less recoil. But how does it do from 20-200 yards where most my Wisconsin hunting shots occur. Every time I Google the 2 all I get is how superior the 6.5 is at long range. But what about your normal 70 yard shot. Or even 20. Would love to hear from you guys/gals on this matter. Would probably shoot 143 eld x out of the creed or 150 accubond out of the 308.

hodgeman

WKR
I've done a good deal of shooting and hunting with the 6.5, the 7-08 and .308. Enough at this point that I believe the results are practically indistinguishable in the field until you get to the edges of their capability. At typical deer hunting ranges, there's not enough difference to worry over.

Close range performance is more a matter of bullet selection than cartridge. The ELDX is somewhat softer than an AB, but since you're talking basically a deer rifle- it's likely moot. Both cartridges have enough industry support that essentially any bullet you could ever want or need is loaded by someone.

I'd pick the one you like the most and roll with it.

One reason the creedmoor is better at long range is because it is flatter shooting. So even at closer ranges it is very accurate. I shot an elk at 100 yards and the bullet didn't even expand, it just punched a 6.6mm hole in the lungs and 100 yards later I had a dead elk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
One reason the creedmoor is better at long range is because it is flatter shooting. So even at closer ranges it is very accurate. I shot an elk at 100 yards and the bullet didn't even expand, it just punched a 6.6mm hole in the lungs and 100 yards later I had a dead elk.

What?

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider

Pin-hole (no bullet expansion) is not related to the cartridge, but the bullet being used.

Cant go wrong either way... whichever has the greatest selection of ammo on the shelf locally (unless you intend to reload.)

Titan_Bow

WKR
I picked up a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 this winter, working it into a nice little mountain rifle/backpack rifle. I would say, go with whichever has the best price, is the rifle brand/model you are looking for, etc. The actual cartridges you are comparing are so similar in real world hunting scenarios, that you'd never tell the difference. Lots of high quality factory load offerings, and a decent bullet selection. 308 will get you heavier bullets, and probably a broader overall selection of bullets, but again, from a hunting standpoint, they are very similar. The 308 will carry a little more energy in close, but past 300 yards or so, the creedmoor surpasses it. All in all, the Creedmoor, 308, 7mm-08 are all in the same league pretty much

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I picked up a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 this winter, working it into a nice little mountain rifle/backpack rifle. I would say, go with whichever has the best price, is the rifle brand/model you are looking for, etc. The actual cartridges you are comparing are so similar in real world hunting scenarios, that you'd never tell the difference. Lots of high quality factory load offerings, and a decent bullet selection. 308 will get you heavier bullets, and probably a broader overall selection of bullets, but again, from a hunting standpoint, they are very similar. The 308 will carry a little more energy in close, but past 300 yards or so, the creedmoor surpasses it. All in all, the Creedmoor, 308, 7mm-08 are all in the same league pretty much

This is true, I never understood why people bothered with the 7/08.

Pro953

WKR
I assume we are talking deer only?
I guess Sub 200 shots .308?

As everyone said, really no difference sub 200. I guess the larger caliber may provide some advantages. That said if you planned on chasing any smaller critters maybe the 6.5 would be a better option.

Have fun and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
The reason that info isn't all iver is at those ranges pick what ever you want caliber is about the last thing to worry about. Bullet construction would be what to look at

A 223 pushing a 75gr steel match hornady will deliver more then you will ever need in Wisconsin. Whitetail are little.

77gr tmk from black hills if you really got to splurge.

Dusty2426

WKR
I'm looking to purchase a new rifle. I'm looked through forums at nosia trying to compare 6.5 vs 308. The information I'm truly looking for I cant find. That is these 2 calibers at close range. I like the idea of the 6.5 for less recoil. But how does it do from 20-200 yards where most my Wisconsin hunting shots occur. Every time I Google the 2 all I get is how superior the 6.5 is at long range. But what about your normal 70 yard shot. Or even 20. Would love to hear from you guys/gals on this matter. Would probably shoot 143 eld x out of the creed or 150 accubond out of the 308.

At those distances go with a partition in any caliber. Reliable opening at any speed and solid construction in the back half to punch on through. The bullets you listed at great bullets but speed either to fast or to slow speed can affect opening. Partition isn’t a great long range bullet bit 300 in its Thor’s hammer

What other calibers and gun setups do you have in the safe? That would really drive my decision.

You also say that you’re going to purchase the rifle, what gun are you looking at? Do you hunt out west or are you already setup for that?

LightFoot

WKR
Within 200 yds, the 308, 6.5, 7mm-08, and 243 will have negligible difference with the right bullet choice.

Between the 6.5 and the 308 (shooting 150s), recoil will be mild in both.

For your purposes, go with the 308. Wider selection of factory ammo. Cheaper to shoot.

Inside 200yds, there is no need for the higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient of the 6.5. Although, there is never a wrong reason the buy a 6.5.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Since you mentioned shooting 150gr in a .308, you could consider going with the Creedmoor and loading the new Berger 156gr EOL..if you reload.

I prefer the Creedmoor but at the distances mentioned, I don’t think it makes much difference really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaw

WKR
just a note to those who might be interested, I have a tikka t3x lite stainless in 308, my friend has a savage lightweight hunter in stainless....both come in around 6.5 scoped

I have shot both immediately one after the other
he shoots the 143gr eldx factory ammo
I shoot 165 interlocks at 2633fps out of my 308 tikka

I noticed no difference in recoil, and what sucks even more we put a brake on his and later mine....and I still didnt feel a huge difference.

when it comes to recoil I feel when there is a large difference in recoil its when it is a magnum that is take from lets say 7.5lbs and increased to 10-11lbs and than braked as well...I did this with a 300wm shooting 200gr SMK with 69.5gr of RL22 (havent chronod yet) and its not too far off from an unbraked 308 165gr interlocks at 2633fps with an 18"barrel at 6.5lbs

just info to weigh against when it comes to felt recoil of 6.5 and 308

rootacres

WKR
If you're just hunting deer inside 300 yds I think either caliber is a good option. The recoil on both is minimal. If you plan on going after some larger game or plan on pushing out to the 400 yd range I would recommend the 308. Punching paper at 1000 yds is where the 6.5 shines. Im a fan of 30 cals for elk/deer.

howl

WKR
.308 150gr and 6.5CM 140gr are in the same class of being too slow to be consistently dramatic killers up close. I doubt you'll like one any better than the other. If those were the only two rifles on the planet I'd choose .308 and feed it 165gr Fusion if it liked them.

The 6.5mm 120gr loaded to speed are where it's at. That's normal .260. 6.5CM has to be loaded to higher pressure to get there, but there are a few loads available if you look around.

I have yet to try anything that was better than .260 with 120gr at dumping deer in the woods. The Remington Model Seven with a light barrel handles amazingly well for killing deer at normal ranges. If they made them with the bolt on the correct side, that'd be my main deer rifle. They don't though. So, I have an A-Bolt in 25 WSSM. It's not quite as lively, but it is a higher quality rifle and downs deer the same. I'd rate it equal to the .260 but I haven't killed near as many deer with it yet.