Vintage S&W and Backcountry Sidearms

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Let's see everyone's carry gun! For woods or the urban jungle.

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 19-2 in 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel and nickel finish. Not interested in selling but curious what everyone thinks it's worth? Bought it when I was 16 back in 2013 I believe. I think it was made some time in the mid 1960's. Looking at others like it, the value is increasing. It wears a pair of old pachmyer grips I found at an antique store, but still has the original wooden ones with it.

I use this revolver for everything since it's my only handgun other than a Ruger LCP and SR22. I carry it mostly in the woods on my hip, but may change to a shoulder holster to protect it better. It's about as perfect as I can find as far as a Backcountry gun. It's pretty light at 35 oz and extremely reliable. I also conceal carry it inside the waistband at times when I'm wearing enough clothes to cover it.

It's in great shape and I only shoot 158 grain lead bullets through it since I saw that's what most people suggest for a revolver this old.

Final question, should I get a Glock 20 or another revolver to keep this gun in good condition? Or should I just continue to carry it and take good care of it?

Thanks all and look forward to seeing what you carry!
90df517dfc30f4b0dbfa7cf49472ada5.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

If you see anymore of those definitely shoot me a pm. Sure those arent too easy to come by.

And as to the OP's question, a glock 20 is never bad to have in the stable. Mine is on me three days a week, and its nice not to worry about bumping or scratching it like some of my others

elkduds

WKR
Odds are you'll never like another handgun trigger as well as that 19. Best trigger = best shooter = best handgun to me. Even if you get seduced by modern pistol technology, keep the K frame.

Applepie_eli, I carried one for those S&W on-duty use for a long time before we went to Beretta 92. Had to carry +p .38 (we weren't SUPPOSED to carry .357 loads, but that's a different story). Yours looks really nice, and with the pinned barrel makes it worth even more. If you have the original box, that would add $$ to the value to a collector. Not even a guess what it could be worth. Keep it.

Last edited:

WKR
Pretty easy to check Gunbroker completed auctions to see what most stuff is worth. There is asking and there is getting. Seeing completed auctions paints a pretty good picture typically.

I don't know how to post a pic of it but my contribution to this thread for the "vintage S&W's" would have been a first generation S&W Model 41. It has the optional muzzlebrake and it shoots one ragged hole if I can....

for a backcountry "self defense" pistol I can be seen with different one's on different days.... usually when I carry in the woods now it's for 2 legged animals, not 4.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Applepie_eli, I carried one for those S&W on-duty use for a long time before we went to Beretta 92. Had to carry +p .38 (we weren't SUPPOSED to carry .357 loads, but that's a different story). Yours looks really nice, and with the pinned barrel makes it worth even more. If you have the original box, that would add $$ to the value to a collector. Not even a guess what it could be worth. Keep it.

Definitely wasn't going to get rid of it. Just hoping to replace it as my carry gun so I can keep it locked up and in good shape for some day when I have kids. That's cool you carried one on duty. I would love to find out if mine was a duty gun. That would make it even cooler!

wildcat33

WKR
You can always call S&W and pay a few bucks to get the mfg history of the gun. When it mas made, who it was sold to, etc. My guess is that if it was LE you'll know from that. I have a model 66 and its stamped "SD SHERIFF" on the frame, but I dont know that all LE guns were stamped like that. My guess is that they weren't. Either way, I'd say carry it, shoot it, enjoy it. The mighty wheelgun still deserves love.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Coming back to this old thread because I've been thinking about my old S&W and while doing some research I wanted to come back and re-read what some of you guys said. Not sure if anyone cares but I'll fill you in.

Here's the update, I went and bought a Glock 20 shortly after I made this thread. I had to get rid of a shotgun to do it, but I'm glad I did. I no longer am carrying my model 19 because I'd rather beat up my Glock than the 357. Every time my Glock rubs up against something I'm just extremely happy it's not my S&W. My model 19 just sits in it's case in my dresser. Hoping it will be wort some good money one day, but even then, I'm NOT ever going to sell it unless it was a last resort emergency situation (family health issues or something like that).

The Glock has been amazing. Absolutely love it. Not a single malfunction yet, which was my main concern going on to an auto. It's also very practical and versatile because I use it for concealed carry as well. 16 rounds of 10mm, with 30 more in my pocket and an LCP in the other, I certainly don't feel undergunned. However, I do feel kinda lost without having a revolver that actually gets used. So I'll probably have a 686 and Redhawk on my list next.

Cheers to Glock for making an ugly and super reliable gun that I can beat up every day in the woods or town. And cheers to my old S&W and preserving that beautiful nickel finish.

Attachments

• KIMG0896.jpg
    KIMG0896.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 8

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Coming back to this old thread because I've been thinking about my old S&W and while doing some research I wanted to come back and re-read what some of you guys said. Not sure if anyone cares but I'll fill you in.

Here's the update, I went and bought a Glock 20 shortly after I made this thread. I had to get rid of a shotgun to do it, but I'm glad I did. I no longer am carrying my model 19 because I'd rather beat up my Glock than the 357. Every time my Glock rubs up against something I'm just extremely happy it's not my S&W. My model 19 just sits in it's case in my dresser. Hoping it will be wort some good money one day, but even then, I'm NOT ever going to sell it unless it was a last resort emergency situation (family health issues or something like that).

The Glock has been amazing. Absolutely love it. Not a single malfunction yet, which was my main concern going on to an auto. It's also very practical and versatile because I use it for concealed carry as well. 16 rounds of 10mm, with 30 more in my pocket and an LCP in the other, I certainly don't feel undergunned. However, I do feel kinda lost without having a revolver that actually gets used. So I'll probably have a 686 and Redhawk on my list next.

Cheers to Glock for making an ugly and super reliable gun that I can beat up every day in the woods or town. And cheers to my old S&W and preserving that beautiful nickel finish.

It’s pretty tough to beat the Glock 20 for a woods gun. I carry mine almost all the time. I still carry a revolver occasionally but less and less as time goes on.